Prospect Info: Vitali Kravtsov: Part IX

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Definitely do not mind him staying in the KHL all season until things are situated here. He'll get his top minutes while we get a legit look at others. If Traktor was a mess again, I would rather him here, but they are legit good in the KHL and he is a big piece for them.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Traktor won another close game against top echelon in the East. This time 2:1, both goals on PP.

Kravtsov played over 6 min in the first but then only 4 and 3 min in the other periods. Didn't see anything from him that would displease the coaching staff. Could be just a combination of a lot of PKs and 4x4 and also what looked like a preference in this game to give more ice to the 2nd PP unit.

Speaking of PK - Kravtsov doesn't play while his linemates are permanently featured, Traktor's coach doesn't give Kravtsov ice with other teammates after PK ends.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
No points again for him today. Seems to be slowing down a bit in the point department.

Seems he’s getting a lot less shots on net than earlier in the season.

However, looking at stats for this game he had a lot of ice for a forward with 17+min which is at least two minutes more than Sedlak’s line with less shifts (keep in mind also that Kravtsov doesn’t PK). Then looking at “time attacking” stat, Kravtsov and his linemates each had over 7 min which is again about 3 min more than the same stat for Sedlak’s line. What it tells me is that Kalinin - Byvaltsev - Kravtsov line seriously dominated this game.

Хоккей. КХЛ. Регулярный чемпионат. Игра номер 289 14 нояб. 2020: Куньлунь РС-Трактор (онлайн трансляция)

Last edited:

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Offensively he hasn't been the same since he came back. Leaving him in the KHL would be moronic once the NHL and AHL seasons are under way. He needs to learn how to play a north american game. He was learning that in the AHL. The AHL is a league committed to developing young talent. The KHL is not. It's a league where older players are trying to win games and get paid. Coaches there coach that way.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Offensively he hasn't been the same since he came back. Leaving him in the KHL would be moronic once the NHL and AHL seasons are under way. He needs to learn how to play a north american game. He was learning that in the AHL. The AHL is a league committed to developing young talent. The KHL is not. It's a league where older players are trying to win games and get paid. Coaches there coach that way.

I honestly don’t think he would make the nhl team out of Camp. Doesn’t the KHL season end in FEB and the AHL starts ?

Not a problem imo

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
His cap hit is an obstacle though
And I just dont think we are in a rush here. We shouldnt be even if we didnt have the depth. Let Kravtsov play in the KHL and finish out the season. If Traktor makes the playoffs he should stay over there. He isn’t getting top 6 minutes with the Rangers, if he showed he deserved to be added to the team. He would be coming back to join Hartford in their Top 6 for a playoff run.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
And I just dont think we are in a rush here. We shouldnt be even if we didnt have the depth. Let Kravtsov play in the KHL and finish out the season. If Traktor makes the playoffs he should stay over there. He isn’t getting top 6 minutes with the Rangers, if he showed he deserved to be added to the team. He would be coming back to join Hartford in their Top 6 for a playoff run.

Yes, I would let him finish the season in Russia. There's really no need to rush him over (again). Also, this whole "needs to get used to North American hockey" argument is so flawed. If a player is good enough, he can play. It's more about being good enough than it is about "getting used to hockey in NA".

There are a bunch of examples of players who came over and immediately started in the NHL.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Yes, I would let him finish the season in Russia. There's really no need to rush him over (again). Also, this whole "needs to get used to North American hockey" argument is so flawed. If a player is good enough, he can play. It's more about being good enough than it is about "getting used to hockey in NA".

There are a bunch of examples of players who came over and immediately started in the NHL.

The biggest issue for adjusting is his reads have to be quicker.

The physical aspect is no longer prevalent

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He wasn't close to ready last year. Not at all. He seems to have made some strides this year, but I still don't think he's ready to make a difference in the NHL. We'll see if he can produce consistently over the remainder of the season and then I think we can make a determination at that point if he should come over.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

For example, if an SHL defenseman took a half a step back, let him figure it out there where he’s already comfortable, instead of shoehorning him into a new country, culture, team and likely more challenging play style

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
i love how certain posters think we gotta rush kravtsov over cuz the KHL is terrible for his development!!!! when we have panarin and buchnevich who played 5 years and 3 years post draft year in the khl. the dude that spent 5 years in the KHL was arguably the best player in the NHL last year!

Yes. There isn't one way to develop all players. Even to develop all Russians. This upcoming season will be interesting to see how Kaprizov does for instance. 5 years post-draft in the NHL. He probably won't play a single game in the AHL, despite a lot of people being convinced "players have to get used to North American ice". Panarin didn't need time to get used to it. Neither did Kubalik who was a Calder finalist. Sure, he played some OHL hockey but then went back to Europe for 5 years. How come he didn't have to get used to North American ice again? Because he was good enough. Sebastian Aho is another example and I can go on.

If Kravtsov isn't good enough to play in the NHL yet, let him develop in Russia IMO. He clearly seems to be more comfortable there than in Hartford. Then call him up when he can make the jump.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Watched almost every Traktor game this year. Overall its been a positive year for him and the team which is great but he's not ready for top 9 action on a Competitive NHL team which I hope we are next year. I don't wanna see him buried getting 6-8 min on the 4th line or not playing at all. I haven't heard any reports of him being unhappy playing for Traktor this year so definitely no reason to bring him over.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He only has four assists in his last 30 KHL games. Is he developing into a selfish player? I hope he isn't like a Brandon Pirri...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He only has four assists in his last 30 KHL games. Is he developing into a selfish player? I hope he isn't like a Brandon Pirri...
Much like when he was struggling in Hartford, this is apparently due entirely to everyone else on his team being terrible.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Assuming AHL has a season, can Kravtsov come over and play the rest of AHL season once KHL season is over?

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
i love how certain posters think we gotta rush kravtsov over cuz the KHL is terrible for his development!!!! when we have panarin and buchnevich who played 5 years and 3 years post draft year in the khl. the dude that spent 5 years in the KHL was arguably the best player in the NHL last year!

Buchnevich was terrible when he came over from the KHL. He had no clue how to play north american hockey. At times he still doesn't. The only thing that has saved Buchnevich from being a total disaster is the fact he's played on top lines because the Rangers didn't have anybody else. Those days are coming to an end. I still think he will absolutely be traded. They aren't going to protect him in the expansion draft IMO. I don't think they will lose him for nothing. If you can't see that the KHL is not a developmental league you are beyond clueless. There are always exceptions that come out of that league but it's not a developmental league. Period.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Buchnevich was terrible when he came over from the KHL. He had no clue how to play north american hockey. At times he still doesn't. The only thing that has saved Buchnevich from being a total disaster is the fact he's played on top lines because the Rangers didn't have anybody else. Those days are coming to an end. I still think he will absolutely be traded. They aren't going to protect him in the expansion draft IMO. I don't think they will lose him for nothing. If you can't see that the KHL is not a developmental league you are beyond clueless. There are always exceptions that come out of that league but it's not a developmental league. Period.

The KHL isn't a development league but neither is the SHL/HA, Liiga, Extraliga or National League. Doesn't mean players don't develop there.

Almost every EU player in the NHL has developed in Europe.

Reactions: egelband

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm actually not a fan of him being in the KHL anymore either, but really what's the option right now? I think if he wants an NHL career he needs to be on North American ice, and with North American athletic trainers. The problem isn't development of skills, its proper training, differences in style of play and differences in lifestyle. As i said before though, with Hartford not even playing yet he is better off playing than not. He needs to leave his comfort zone this year at some point.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The problem isn't development of skills, its proper training, differences in style of play and differences in lifestyle.
Believe it or not some guys respond differently and can be overwhelmed by all the differences if they’re not developed enough yet. It’s a huge adjustment. Some guys take well and continue developing over here, many stagnate. Choose wisely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad