Prospect Info: Vitali Kravtsov: Part IX

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Want to add that Buch is the type of guy who embraces his own awkwardness, he's 100% comfortable in his own skin and he developed well (others might argue) in the NHL because of it after he took his rookie lumps. AV loled to the media at Buch's weak body his rookie year and Buch probably loled with him and then corrected the problem because that's the type of guy he is. VK's not that type of personality. Also VK is 6'4 I think with a late growth spurt- let him develop into his ManBody™ a bit more so he's more confident to go to the tough parts of the ice and hold his own in the NHL. It's so important to be able to go into the corner on the forecheck, take a hard bump and come away with the puck, that's where success comes in the NHL (and ever more so the playoffs). Chytil, who's strong as a bull and almost a vet at this point, STILL struggles in the corners because it's more than strength and conditioning-it's balance and coordination to go with the strength and conditioning and and it takes the bigger boys longer to develop it. I would also think that the Rangers are keeping very close tabs on VK's weight training and conditioning no matter where he is.

Last edited:

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
...Chytil, who's strong as a bull and almost a vet at this point, STILL struggles in the corners because it's more than strength and conditioning-it's balance and coordination to go with the strength and conditioning and and it takes the bigger boys longer to develop it....

i agree with this post, just wanted to add that along with "balance...coordination...strength...conditioning"
what also contributes to winning puck battles in corners are technique and instinct,
which come more natural to some guys, but only with experience for other guys (... and never to other guys ...
and of course 'determination' that the puck battle keep going til YOU have the puck...
Graves so often won those corner puck battles, and IMHO it was a combination of all those traits that made him successful at it

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Big game for Traktor as they go for first place in their division. Scoreless after 1. Kravtsov had an ok first period. Had a decent shot on the powerplay. Jokerit has played a pretty stingy first period.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Threw a great hit to force a turnover in Jokerit zone with 30 seconds left in the second otherwise super quiet second period. Didn't see much of the ice for good portion of the second.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Traktor explodes for 3 in the third to win 3-1. Unfortunately, Kravtsov not on the ice for any of the goals.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kravtsov slumping....just 1 assist in his last 7 games.

Here’s a bit of a silver lining. Traktor’s returning head coach has always put an emphasis on playing a system that is defensively responsible - minimizing high danger chances against, controlled breakouts not allowing for possession loss in your own zone etc. Watching him play or checking out game stats if I missed a game I noticed that Kravtsov is practically never on ice for a goal against. So I just went to check it out and so far in 20 games he’s been on ice for only 3 goals against.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm happy that he's evidently making strides away from the puck, using his body, etc. Dude needs to score, though. This is what started happening with Lias--our 7OA became a guy where we'd be happy if he was a "good 3C" or whatever. We drafted Kratsov to pile up the points, so that's what I most want to see. Especially since he's "home and comfortable" and all that.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm happy that he's evidently making strides away from the puck, using his body, etc. Dude needs to score, though. This is what started happening with Lias--our 7OA became a guy where we'd be happy if he was a "good 3C" or whatever. We drafted Kratsov to pile up the points, so that's what I most want to see. Especially since he's "home and comfortable" and all that.

If I have to summarize the cause for the lack of points recently - it's because he stopped putting puck on the net. The secret is out that Kravtsov is dangerous with the puck on his stick so the opponents started to play him a lot tighter than earlier in the season. It's on him not to make adjustments and find time / space.

The thing that I would like their coaching staff to change is getting him on the ice right after PK with another center.

P.S. As you know dry spells happen. Short sample of basically half-dozen games or so. Kravtsov is still and will continue to be viewed as a top-6 offensive winger - just to contrast with you bringing up LA prospect.

Reactions: egelband

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I dunno I saw more from kravtsov in that one little shift up there than I saw with lias in basically his entire tenure here.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If I have to summarize the cause for the lack of points recently - it's because he stopped putting puck on the net. The secret is out that Kravtsov is dangerous with the puck on his stick so the opponents started to play him a lot tighter than earlier in the season. It's on him not to make adjustments and find time / space.

The thing that I would like their coaching staff to change is getting him on the ice right after PK with another center.

P.S. As you know dry spells happen. Short sample of basically half-dozen games or so. Kravtsov is still and will continue to be viewed as a top-6 offensive winger - just to contrast with you bringing up LA prospect.

This is a huge part for sure! The competition/teams he is playing is getting better and they are definitely allowing him zero space. Combine that with the fact the Traktor is one of the best defensive teams (Goals against) which has Kravtsov paying more attention to his overall game not just his point production. Having said that he is gonna have to produce points because that's what we hope he will be.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

the comparison was a bit of a reach imo. lias never was viewed as having offensive upside. kravtsov improving other areas of his game there weren't strengths before isn't the same as lias continuing to not do something he never did.

kravtsov was also scoring like a goal/game before he got hurt or whatever kept him out so him not scoring for a couple games isn't that big a deal. 2 years ago (before his mess of a year last year) he had 8 goals in 50 games. this year he has 8 in 20 games so its not like he isn't improved....he was on a super hot streak and now he's on a cold streak. that makes him like virtually every offensive player ever.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I dunno I saw more from kravtsov in that one little shift up there than I saw with lias in basically his entire tenure here.
I didn't mean to strike a raw nerve with Lias or anything. I'm just saying, we took Kravtsov at 9OA because he was a guy with high-end skills. A guy who was going to fill up the net. Last year sucked, both here and back in Russia--with the exceptions of the observations that "now he's hustling!" and things like that. And that's all well and good, but I want to see offense. The season started on a high note, which was exciting, but has tailed off. He needs to break out of that funk. Show some consistency.

He'll be 21 in a month, he's getting to the age where you'd like to see him really step up and be a consistent offensive force. So frequently I have heard, "Kuznetsov, Kaprizov, Tarasenko, etc., they all stayed until they were 22 or 23 (or whatever), Kravtsov needs time." That is fine, but those guys in their age 20 seasons were also pretty dominant. Again, glad that our guy is improving, but I'd really like to see him start consistently dominating out there. Charts that show the percentage of goals he was in on for his team to make his production look better in comparison don't do it anymore--he's on a very good team that can score. I want him to be a catalyst.

As was said, it's a cold spell, and that's okay. But I'd really like to see him finish the season with an offensive flourish.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
the comparison was a bit of a reach imo. lias never was viewed as having offensive upside. kravtsov improving other areas of his game there weren't strengths before isn't the same as lias continuing to not do something he never did.

kravtsov was also scoring like a goal/game before he got hurt or whatever kept him out so him not scoring for a couple games isn't that big a deal. 2 years ago (before his mess of a year last year) he had 8 goals in 50 games. this year he has 8 in 20 games so its not like he isn't improved....he was on a super hot streak and now he's on a cold streak. that makes him like virtually every offensive player ever.
The comparison with Lias was that we drafted a guy high, and when the offense wasn't coming around, justified it by pointing to the other things he did as reason to be optimistic. Not to compare their offensive abilities.

With Kravtsov last year, same thing happened when he came back. He still looked generally bad with the puck on his stick, but then came the "good hustle" and "using his body" and "his teammates suck and it's holding him back!" claims. I'll just ignore the whole "it was the fault of his coach who didn't like him and sucked" thing when he went back to the KHL to begin with.

I'm not saying he's Lias Andersson or will become Lias Andersson. I've just noticed a trend, beginning last year, that when the kid is struggling, we're always a) finding excuses, like his team/teammates suck, or b) saying "yeah well look at this one play where he did something that was good."

If/when he picks it up you all can all quote me and point at me and laugh. That' fine. Not shitting on the guy. I just don't like how the narrative has unfolded with him over the past two seasons, and how quick we are to shift the focus to him poke-checking someone in the neutral zone to distract from the fact that he was invisible and only had one shot on goal.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The question is this: Does he coast?

That's why people feel the way they do about him. Does he coast out there? If so, is it during a 4-1 game in third with the lead, or is it for a few games at a time?

Looking at guys like Marchenko and Chinakov, you see the latter sniping it from 20+ feet out, using screens. Maybe Vitali should mix up his attack to be a threat from more parts of the ice. Marchenko is a bigger RH shot. Silky skill, with the ability to roof it.

Chinakov looks like the real deal from the highlights, there's some throwback in his game- he's not afraid to be the top dawg out there and the dude's got some artistry to his sniping. Goalies looking confused out there. Chinakov isn't afraid to shoot it. He's a very deceptive player too, once they move towards defending the primary move, he either outwaits, or manourvers but gets a sick shot off in the process.

Reactions: egelband

its josh

May 13, 2020

Quinn isnt going to put him into a spot to put up points until he does all the little things, and hustles. I think you compare it to someone like Buchnevich. He was up and down, moved to the left wing... he was so inconsistent, not in scoring, but in every other aspect of the game. About half way through the season we could really see Buchnevich 'buy in' to the Quinn system and it really helped his overall game including offense. This season has been great for Kravtsov, because he's doing these on a consistent basis. Last season, he stood along the boards way too often, didnt get involved, etc.

Reactions: kovazub94

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Missed first period but Kravtsov has looked really good in the second. Skating hard, really engaged and very visible.
Had a real nice shot on Askarov as he was one on one with the SKA defender. Askarov really nice save

Reactions: egelband and pblawr

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Kravtsov on the ice protecting the lead with less than 30 seconds left. I guess that is a good sign.
Traktor another win they are on fire.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Hey guys! Avs fan coming in peace. Between all your young studs and my Papa being a fan forever, Rangers are easily my 2nd favorite team and I cant wait to see them take over the East!
Always liked VK, where do you see him fitting in your lineup?
Avs Rangers 2023 cup final!

We would like to see him in a top 6 RW spot within the next year or so. Clearly a lot will have to do with his development, as well as what happens with Buchnevich. With Kakko penciled in on the right side for a while, VK needs to supplant Buch before he's looking at being a top 6 winger for us. There's also the question about whether Kreider is moved to the right side...if that happens the path is more challenging. And then there's Gauthier...we haven't seen him look like a legit top 6 forward yet, but this is a big season for him. So lot's of questions on the right side that need to be answered.

Would love to see an AVs Rangers final!

Reactions: Postanin CB Ting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->