Prospect Info: Vitali Kravtsov: Part IX

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Traktor continuing to win despite Kravtsov not factoring in any of the 5 goals today.
He looked decent in the third and set up a few good chances. Also had a few good chances of his own in the third on the pp.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Traktor continuing to win despite Kravtsov not factoring in any of the 5 goals today.
He looked decent in the third and set up a few good chances. Also had a few good chances of his own in the third on the pp.

Yup. The whole Traktor team seems to be playing within its structure and with a lot of confidence. On the whole they do look very good and are actually only 2 points out of the 1st place in the East after wining 8 out of 10, as you noted. However, their calendar has been pretty soft during this run and will be a lot tougher in November with 7 out of 8 games against teams currently in PO position. It will be a good test.

Also as you noted Kravtsov has been playing very well overall even though he doesn't have anything to show for it statistically. With a bit more of luck or precision he could've had a few points in these games so I'm not worried. One of my minor issues is how it seems he's not able to lay a good hit. It's partially due to him still growing into his body but partially I think it's due to not having a good technique.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

look at this pond hockey player who’s all flash and no defence

nice, hockey leagues should keep track of "good" plays/actions and "bad" otherwise when looking at stats all the good/bad plays go unnoticed and unrecorded. If not every little thing, then at least significant ones.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
nice, hockey leagues should keep track of "good" plays/actions and "bad" otherwise when looking at stats all the good/bad plays go unnoticed and unrecorded.

Like how the NHL tracks "hits" as if it's always a positive. I wish they would have a Hits% stat where they look at hits that lead to turnovers compared to hits that don't

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Like how the NHL tracks "hits" as if it's always a positive. I wish they would have a Hits% stat where they look at hits that lead to turnovers compared to hits that don't

I always thought Callahan was the best example of this. They’d show his hit stats to highlight how good he was. I love how physical he was as a player, but he constantly took himself out of position to finish a check.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I always thought Callahan was the best example of this. They’d show his hit stats to highlight how good he was. I love how physical he was as a player, but he constantly took himself out of position to finish a check.

Exactly. If you hit a player and don't force a turnover, you are basically creating a breakaway for your opponent. And fans go crazy because "Oh what a hit!!!"

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Exactly. If you hit a player and don't force a turnover, you are basically creating a breakaway for your opponent. And fans go crazy because "Oh what a hit!!!"
There are times when Smith/Trouba step up and lay a big hit that can help energize the team, especially if the crowd is in play. During the playoffs there were some big hits that lead to 1 on 1s which I'm fine with. It's when it leads to 2 or 3 on 1 when it's a problem.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If you connect with a big hit you're trying to separate the player from the puck. The ideal result of that is that you create a turnover. If your team fails to retrieve the puck, that doesn't make the hit a "bad" thing. I mean sure, if you go flying across the ice way out of position, then that's not good, but there are many, many, many circumstances where a big hit will not result in a turnover but it was still a good/the right play.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

It could still be a good hit even without leading to direct loss of possession. Similarly, your other assertion that hits that don’t result in turnover directly lead to an odd man rush or other disadvantages is not always valid.

Reactions: klingsor and nyr2k2

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I call them possession-driving vs possession-neutral hits. Hopefully with player tracking on its way we’ll be able to get a better grasp of it.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If you connect with a big hit you're trying to separate the player from the puck. The ideal result of that is that you create a turnover. If your team fails to retrieve the puck, that doesn't make the hit a "bad" thing. I mean sure, if you go flying across the ice way out of position, then that's not good, but there are many, many, many circumstances where a big hit will not result in a turnover but it was still a good/the right play.

I call this the Tanner Glass.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

Hitting is also to wear down an opponent, especially during the playoffs where you play the same team several times in a short period and the team has already played 82 regular season games. While it’s no longer a heavy hitting league, there’s still value in it come playoff time.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

There's a bit of art to giving and taking a hit. A hit that takes you off balance and out of the play but doesn't at least do the same to the guy you hit is a bad hit. This is one of my complaints with Lemieux at times. He might really bowl somebody over but he has a bad habit of ending up on his back and out of the play or forcing plays that aren't really there and ending up on his back and out of the play. I think we need his aggression but he needs to get better at it.

As well to me it's interesting to watch the Islanders 4th line go to work because the effectiveness of their respective hitting games is predicated on them reading off each other and cutting off avenues and pinning teams deep in their defensive zone--or at least it is when it's working.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There's a bit of art to giving and taking a hit. A hit that takes you off balance and out of the play but doesn't at least do the same to the guy you hit is a bad hit. This is one of my complaints with Lemieux at times. He might really bowl somebody over but he has a bad habit of ending up on his back and out of the play or forcing plays that aren't really there and ending up on his back and out of the play. I think we need his aggression but he needs to get better at it.

As well to me it's interesting to watch the Islanders 4th line go to work because the effectiveness of their respective hitting games is predicated on them reading off each other and cutting off avenues and pinning teams deep in their defensive zone--or at least it is when it's working.
This is my main issue with Lemieux. I like the effort but he ends up on his ass behind the play all the time, and worse, the guy he was shoving ends up not on his ass and skating away. Lemieux needs to not chase the play (which, for him, "the play" is often just agitating someone) so often and focus more on contributing in more traditional ways. I think Lemieux could push 15-15 if he really focused his game. Instead he's a guy who has his moments, but otherwise is often ineffective.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Traktor appears to be a fun organization. Lots of good vibes. Am I mis-reading that?

Not at all. As I mentioned previously - Chelyabinsk is one of industrial towns in Russia's industrial belt in the Ural region. Not much else going on there so hockey is one of its primary venues for entertainment. Hockey is "sold" as a family friendly activity, a source of local pride overseen and financially supported via local government and industries.

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.

look at this pond hockey player who’s all flash and no defence

EB174EAC-F427-4122-8136-065C2552997D.gif

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->