Visiting Minnesota? Everything you need to know here!

McDanglez

Jan 15, 2011
Saskatchatoon
Hey guys not sure if this has been answered here yet. But I'm in Minneapolis for the weekend and I'm looking for a sports bar that would play the Oilers game tonight. Any ideas?
Thanks

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Wanted to ask about the best way to get State Tournament tickets?

Ive been coming out the past few years and just love the Tounament and Minnesota... But the scalpers are killing me.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Hey guys not sure if this has been answered here yet. But I'm in Minneapolis for the weekend and I'm looking for a sports bar that would play the Oilers game tonight. Any ideas?
Thanks

Well the Wild aren't playing on Saturday, but I'm sure most sports bars would be showing the Minnesota State High School Championship game. I believe that Oilers and Toronto is being aired on the US-NHL network so perhaps you have a chance for one TV at Tom Reid's in St. Paul. Good luck finding the game in Minneapolis.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm moving from Denver to Minneapolis at the end of the month. My question for the locals - and craft beer spots that are good for watching hockey as well? Looking mainly for Minneapolis, but also interested in St. Paul or suburbs.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
We are a group of 4-5 friends who are planing on coming over from Norway from 15th to 21st of January to see the games against Lightning, Stars & Panthers. How much are the cheapest tickets? How bad are those tickets? And where is the best place to buy them?

Reactions: Minnesota

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
We are a group of 4-5 friends who are planing on coming over from Norway from 15th to 21st of January to see the games against Lightning, Stars & Panthers. How much are the cheapest tickets? How bad are those tickets? And where is the best place to buy them?

Haven’t bought tickets since a couple seasons ago, so I can’t say prices haven’t changed a little. Cheapest tickets I’ve bought in advance were probably $60-$80 a piece. (Day-of tickets go for cheaper, but you won’t wanna risk it)Those 3 teams you listed aren’t “high-demand” teams, so you can probably find prices on the low-end compared to teams like Chicago, Winnipeg, or Colorado.

I typically go for the cheaper tickets and I’d say they’re pretty good seats to watch a hockey game. Not sure the Xcel has a bad seat in the house.

Can’t recommend best place to buy them... I’ve always gone through the Wild directly.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

Haven’t bought tickets since a couple seasons ago, so I can’t say prices haven’t changed a little. Cheapest tickets I’ve bought in advance were probably $60-$80 a piece. (Day-of tickets go for cheaper, but you won’t wanna risk it)Those 3 teams you listed aren’t “high-demand” teams, so you can probably find prices on the low-end compared to teams like Chicago, Winnipeg, or Colorado.

I typically go for the cheaper tickets and I’d say they’re pretty good seats to watch a hockey game. Not sure the Xcel has a bad seat in the house.

Can’t recommend best place to buy them... I’ve always gone through the Wild directly.

It actually varies a TON. A few years ago, you couldn't get a ticket for <$100 to Chicago games. Last year I went several times without spending more than $40 (before fees). There are multiple factors at play, but it's mostly the excitement/skill level of the team, which last year was very low. I would expect it to be pretty similar next year.

When you buy direct through the team, they do "variable" pricing these days, so it ups the prices on tickets for times they expect to be popular - mostly weekends and division rivals. The prices are also much higher over Christmas break and sometimes Spring break, when kids have off of school.

Before you go straight through the team, try ticketsnow, which is the official resaler of Ticketmaster. That way you are guaranteed working tickets. Stubhub works, but you're never guaranteed that something won't go wrong (I've still bought through them many times without any issues).

The only other thing to note is that the number of people you have alters the price a bunch. Tickets for two is the easiest/cheapest generally, while you will probably spend a bit more for four. Different numbers like three or five can occasionally be more difficult, depending on where you get them from.

Anyway, long story short, I would say to expect in the $45-60 range if you are looking for cheap upper deck tickets. Lower deck, I don't know, maybe $50-120 depending on where you are looking. I will note that the Xcel has excellent sight lines even from the upper deck. It sucks to be that far away, but you'll have a pretty good view of the ice from anywhere up there.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010

I bought tickets via Ticketmaster. I tried StubHub but ended up cancelling the order, as there is a chance the tickets might not be legit.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Hi Guys - the wife and I will be coming in for the Flyers game on Saturday, December 14 and will only be in town for the night. Our question is: where should we stay?

I am sort of leaning towards staying in Minneapolis and just taking the train over to see St. Paul before the game. I feel like if we stay in St. Paul, we won't make it over to Minneapolis.

And in general, with a 1:30pm flight back home the following day, is it fair to say we won't have time to see the Mall?

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota

Technically not a seat, but all the playoff games had standing room only that were behind the barstool seats and the folding chair seats. You could see the other side of the arena but not the rink lol.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
I have only read the first page of this thread. But as a Norwegian I would like to see Zuccarello playing for The Wilds. I really hope and believe he shows to be worth his contract. I would also be interested in visiting some Norwegian Americans community or people with Scandinavian roots. How is the wildlife and hunting opportunities in MN? If I get a chance, I would like to stay for two to four weeks, see a couple of Wild games and a hunting trip, and get too see some of The State of thousands lakes. That's on my bucket list for the next five years. Now good luck with the hockey season. Greetings from Norway :)
Forgot to say that IF these dream comes true, I will probably be on a tight budget. So I need reasonable priced places to live,eat and not the most expensive tickets at The X

Last edited:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I have only read the first page of this thread. But as a Norwegian I would like to see Zuccarello playing for The Wilds. I really hope and believe he shows to be worth his contract. I would also be interested in visiting some Norwegian Americans community or people with Scandinavian roots. How is the wildlife and hunting opportunities in MN? If I get a chance, I would like to stay for two to four weeks, see a couple of Wild games and a hunting trip, and get too see some of The State of thousands lakes. That's on my bucket list for the next five years. Now good luck with the hockey season. Greetings from Norway :)
Forgot to say that IF these dream comes true, I will probably be on a thigh budget. So I need reasonable priced places to live,eat and not the most expensive tickets at The X

If you live in Fredrikstad you'll find the cheapest airline tickets from Oslo Torp to Minneapolis via Amsterdam with KLM.

Reactions: fredrikstad

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
If you live in Fredrikstad you'll find the cheapest airline tickets from Oslo Torp to Minneapolis via Amsterdam with KLM.
Thank you for that Webster. Good to knows things like that. I haven't travelled that much. It's a lifelong dream to visit The U.S.

Reactions: Webster

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Forgot to say that IF these dream comes true, I will probably be on a tight budget. So I need reasonable priced places to live,eat and not the most expensive tickets at The X
To answer the bolded, pretty good, but you'll have to go out a ways from the cities. I'm not a hunter, so I can't personally recommend anything specific, but there is plenty in the outstate area.

Just by googling "norwegian minnesota", I found this link that says some of the highest percentages in the state. To be honest it might be good just to search on the internet for any particularly cool places that might highlight the heritage.
Norwegian Minnesotan - Wikipedia

So I guess my post wasn't too helpful, but hope you enjoy your time here if you do make it out here. :laugh:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Hi Guys - the wife and I will be coming in for the Flyers game on Saturday, December 14 and will only be in town for the night. Our question is: where should we stay?

I am sort of leaning towards staying in Minneapolis and just taking the train over to see St. Paul before the game. I feel like if we stay in St. Paul, we won't make it over to Minneapolis.

And in general, with a 1:30pm flight back home the following day, is it fair to say we won't have time to see the Mall?
Looks like there weren't any responses to this earlier. It depends on how early you get here I think. St. Paul is not a very touristy city at all - that's really much more Minneapolis. If you would like to "see the city" and all that, then I would probably recommend Minneapolis. The stadium is in St. Paul though, so it'd be much easier to get to and from the stadium. That's probably not a big deal either way though.

As far as the mall, that goes back to the first question, which was how early you would get in. If you can sneak that in before the game, it's probably doable via light rail. Otherwise the mall apparently doesn't open until 11am on Sundays from a quick search, so in that case you wouldn't have time on Sunday morning unfortunately.

Reactions: Colin226

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
When it comes to hunting you better do things the legal way. You probably need a licence, and certified as a hunter.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hi,

Not exactly Wild related, but Vikings related.... looking at making it down to a game this year from Winnipeg. Thinking the game on Oct 13th (Canadian Thanksgiving).

Where's the best spot to get tickets (min of 2)?
What's the least-rowdy section?
What's the best spot to stay closer to the stadium and other amenities

any help would be much appreciated

thanks guys

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
To answer the bolded, pretty good, but you'll have to go out a ways from the cities. I'm not a hunter, so I can't personally recommend anything specific, but there is plenty in the outstate area.

Just by googling "norwegian minnesota", I found this link that says some of the highest percentages in the state. To be honest it might be good just to search on the internet for any particularly cool places that might highlight the heritage.
Norwegian Minnesotan - Wikipedia

So I guess my post wasn't too helpful, but hope you enjoy your time here if you do make it out here. :laugh:
Your post was certainly helpful. Thank you very much for valuable information

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
When it comes to hunting you better do things the legal way. You probably need a licence, and certified as a hunter.
Of coarse I will. Wouldn't put my Norwegian license up for a risk by violating any rules. The hunting is not the most important either. I would love to see the great American wilderness and NHL hockey of coarse

Last edited:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Of coarse I will. Wouldn't put my Norwegian license up for a risk by violating any rules. The hunting is not the most important either. I would love to see the great American wilderness and NHL hockey of coarse

The great American wilderness is mostly not found in Minnesota. Minneapolis/St. Paul is a flat swamp with a lot of suburban development where the farms and prairies used to be, plus a lot of shopping malls. The best parts of Minnesota you need a canoe to visit.

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
Hey all, looking for a drop in (flying in from Seattle next weekend) that’s on Saturday night after 11p or Sunday or Monday lunch time. So far I’ve just found 2 on Sunday AM which is pretty early for me considering the time change and nothing on Monday. Haven’t checked the St Paul side of the Metro yet but open to go there too.
Thanks

difcog

Oct 24, 2013
Hey! I'm visiting my boyfriend and we planned to go watch a game on November 16th. How do the mobile tickets work? I've only been to a game once and we had actual tickets in paper form but I haven't got an idea about mobile tickets?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Hey! I'm visiting my boyfriend and we planned to go watch a game on November 16th. How do the mobile tickets work? I've only been to a game once and we had actual tickets in paper form but I haven't got an idea about mobile tickets?
I think there is a mobile app you can use, but otherwise you should just be able to load up the Ticketmaster site on your phone (if that's where you get them). Once you purchase the tickets, they provide you with a QR code on your account that they scan to let you in. You can keep all the tickets on one phone and just tell them you have multiple, and they'll just scan each one individually. I'd recommend pulling them up ahead of time just so you don't get stuck having to login. Pretty smooth process in general, I've done it plenty of times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad