Visiting Minnesota? Everything you need to know here!

Rating:
3/5,
  1. gphr513 Watch the world burn

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    If you're just a hockey fan looking to experience the local hockey culture, I'd suggest hitting a Wild game and a (University of Minnesota) Gopher hockey game. The Gophers play at Mariucci Arena in Minneapolis, not a terrible Uber from St. Paul. Would be cool to find a weekend where the Wild/Gophers play on a Friday and Saturday night and hit them both in the same weekend.

2. MMC Global Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    none
    whats your airport like i gotta 3 hour layover on wednesday

3. gphr513 Watch the world burn

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    It's like most major airports, I suppose. You'll be able to find a bar where you can buy a 9 dollar beer and an 18 dollar sandwich.

Saga of the Elk likes this.
  4. MMC Global Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    none
    I’m here now, nice airport :). Not happy about my layover being extended by 2 hours though :(

5. Dakota Sioux Roll Colts!!!!!

SB Cash:
    $ 99,980
    Semi retired
    Did the Duluth and North Shore trip last week with my wife. Stayed in Tofte at the Sugar Beach Resort. Cabin 40 feet from the water. Didn’t get to see and do everything we wanted to do we are going back in 2 summers. Absolutely beautiful up there.

TaLoN likes this.
  6. Saga of the Elk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    It's a special part of the world, for sure. Glad you guys had a good time.

Dakota Sioux likes this.
  7. Blue Goose Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    I'm almost done with my quest to see a game in all 31 NHL arenas - only THREE left, and Minnesota is next on the list! I'll be there in October, and I've planned a massive 10-day trip that will allow me to see several sporting events:

10/13: Minnesota State (Mankato)
    10/14: Vikings
    10/16: Wild
    10/18: Waterloo (USHL)
    10/20: Minnesota-Duluth

I'm just trying to decide what to do on Friday, 10/19 and I have two choices - both are home openers, so I wanted to ask the fine folks here to make their recommendation. Should I see the Minnesota Timberwolves OR St. Cloud State University hockey?

Hockey is my greater love, but I'll already be seeing four hockey games on this trip alone. What do you think would be a better experience - Timberwolves or Huskies?

Thanks in advance!!

8. Wild11MN First round losers

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Nice! To be honest, I don't think too many Minnesotans on a hockey forum would tell you to go to an NBA game over any type of hockey game. :laugh: It really depends on how much you like basketball, and it could be a nice mix-up after everything else. The arena is nothing special and the team is slightly above average, but from what I remember, the experience is just fine, but nothing special at Wolves games. I've personally never been to an SCSU game either, but they have been one of the top teams in the country for a while now.

I think my arena count is up to 6 right now. I doubt I'll ever get anywhere close to all of them, but that's pretty sweet that you're almost done!

Also, the Vikings game should be a great experience. Great team, great stadium, great crowd.

Sir Goose likes this.
  9. Blue Goose Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    Honestly, I think that's why I'm leaning toward the T-Wolves game. I'm not the biggest NBA fan, but it would be nice to break things up a bit - the fact that the Minnesota NBA and NHL franchises play in different buildings is the added bonus for me, since I love to check out the architecture of these arenas. I'll be bringing my wife with me and I'm sure she'd appreciate the variety.

My friend in Duluth mentioned that the Target Center was recently renovated and looks even better as well.

10. Saga of the Elk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    also, the drive from Minneapolis to Duluth is a lot nicer than the drive between the Cities and St. Cloud and Duluth, especially after hitting all that Iowa..

Sir Goose likes this.
  11. Cellee Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Came in last weekend to watch my Vikes get drilled by the Bills.

Besides that abomination, I love the TC. Such an underrated place.

That is all.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Dakota Sioux and gphr513 like this.
  12. mynameisblar Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Driving down from Winnipeg for Black Friday, just wondering where you recommend getting T-Wolves tickets from?

13. Burn Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Been coming out from NJ the past few years because I love the vibe around the state championships. Can someone let me know where I can skate outdoors in March around St Paul?

Seem like there are a lot of rinks but some were locked up.

14. TaLoN Red 5 standing by

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    March can be late in the year for outdoor skating... often times it's too warm in March for the outdoor rinks to last.
    Ticketmaster

15. Cannoli Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Hi wild fans! We’re driving down for the Jets/Wild game on Nov 23. Just wondering about parking at Xcel, mainly covered and attached parking. I’ve read about the Rivercentre parking ramp, but am worried it fills very fast as it’s not fully open yet? Is the science center parking ramp completely attached to the arena as well? Any other parking ramps where we could use the skyway and wouldn’t have to go outside?

16. TaLoN Red 5 standing by

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    The river centre ramp is the only one attached.

Most of the ramp is open now, final areas will be open by December 2nd.

17. Cannoli Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Thanks! Does it tend to fill fast on game days?

18. TaLoN Red 5 standing by

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    It does, yes.

Cannoli likes this.
  19. SM Public Enemy #1

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Came down for tonight’s Wild/Canucks from Winnipeg. Suggestions for restaurants around Xcel that will let my 18 y/o brother in? Not sure what liquor laws are like for pubs, will they not let him in at all or just not serve him?

20. TaLoN Red 5 standing by

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    It was announced yesterday, the ramp is now completely open.

21. TaLoN Red 5 standing by

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    Arrive a few hours before game time, you should have no issues getting a table at any of the eats on 7th near the X.

22. Cannoli Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Thanks for letting me know!

23. Starat327 Skipper Tiger Pants luvr Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Greetings all! Coming to visit the bloomington area for work over the next few days, and was wondering if anyone could give me some decent craft brewery recommendations? I'm staying near 494 and 77, and wont have access to a car, so everything will need to be uber/lyft-able. I've heard some pretty good things about Venn and Wild Man, and to a lesser extend, Bald Man, but was curious if anyone had any additional recommendations? I read through the post a bit but i know sometimes the info gets a little dated - especially in that industry.

Would greatly appreciate any feedback anyone had!

24. gphr513 Watch the world burn

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Venn is very good. And close to the airport, so I'd definitely hit that one up. By Wild Man, I assume you're referring to Wild Mind? If so, I highly highly recommend it! The only downside to it is the horrific parking situation (it's basically in an industrial zone with no parking lots whatsoever), but since you're ubering that will be no problem for you! Their beer is a bit more "eclectic", but not in a bad way. They are doing some really interesting stuff, and I've liked almost anything I've tried there.

Bald Man is pretty decent. It won't knock your socks off, but it's just a nice, solid brewery.

Another one I'd recommend is Lake Monster. Although, it's about 10 miles away from 494/77, so that miiiight be pushing the Uber/Lyft distance, but if you're not going at peak rush hour time the Uber probably wouldn't be too bad. Lake Monster's setting is really cool, and the beer is very good.

Another cool place is Northbound Smokehouse and Brewpub. Just a mile or two north of Venn. It's one of the few breweries around here that also has a full service kitchen. If you like BBQ I'd definitely go here for dinner, I've eaten there twice and it was fantastic both times. The beer is really solid, too. Guy I went to high school with brews there so I've made a point to try most all of their beers, and they're all good.

If you were staying closer to Northeast Minneapolis I'd have a whole other slew of recommendations, but an Uber from Bloomington to Nordeast might be a little excessive. Haha!

Starat327 and Dee Oh Cee like this.
  25. Starat327 Skipper Tiger Pants luvr Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

Yup, i definitely meant Wild Mind, not man, Think i just word vomited out that one, my bad. I saw their lists and they definitely look like they do some crazy stuff, which i'm definitely up for.

Lake monster looks like it might be about a 15$ ish uber, which wouldnt be terrible, and probably doable, provided i get enough time. The suggestions and reviews are much appreciated!