OT: Visiting Boston? We are here to help.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Anyone know if there's plans to have a watch party in or outside the Stadium for the road games? The Mrs and I will be down from Sask during games 2 and 3. Looks like they did a watch party thing for home games in the earlier series so I'm assuming that will continue? If not, any recommends on best places to watch?

Here's an update: There will be a free concert and watch party for Game 1 at City Hall Plaza on Monday.

NHL Will Host Bruins-Blues Game 1 Viewing Party At Boston’s City Hall Plaza

Food trucks with food for purchase. Wine and beer. Opens at 4:30 PM, concert with TBA guest(s) at 6 PM. Viewing the game at 8.

I'm not sure they'll replicate this for the other games, since Game 1 is the only game that's on a federal holiday - all the other games are work weekdays.

Update to the update: It’s Lil Nas X (is that right? From memory) and some country guy who was on survivor.

Last edited:

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
No problem. If you are flying in, you can take the Silver Line from Logan to South Station and get a Charlie Card there. From there, you can connect to whatever station your hotel is at, or pick up an Uber/cab outside.

We booked near the airport. Rooms were getting hard to find. Hope its not to difficult to get to TD Garden and back that same night. Looking forward to the game hope to see some of you there!!!!

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
We booked near the airport. Rooms were getting hard to find. Hope its not to difficult to get to TD Garden and back that same night. Looking forward to the game hope to see some of you there!!!!
Public trans. will be easy from a hotel near Logan Airport. Blue line has a stop at Logan. Take it inbound to the end of the line, Bowdoin station (FIVE STOPS). Easy 5 min walk to Boston Garden.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
First, all of your advise was spot on. Took the blue line to state, orange line to TD Garden. Walked half a block and then into the Garden. I now feel like a Boston train pro thanks to you guys.

Second, the game was great. The crowd was nuts and the Garden staff was way cool. Family had a great time.

So thanks for all the advise gang!!!

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Hey peeps, is there an affordable spot to park bearish fanuel hall that I can actually access late night/past midnight?

I parked in one spot like 20 minute walk near the garden south of it in the preseason and had a hell of a time finding a way inside of it late at night

Thanks!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Hey peeps, is there an affordable spot to park bearish fanuel hall that I can actually access late night/past midnight?

I parked in one spot like 20 minute walk near the garden south of it in the preseason and had a hell of a time finding a way inside of it late at night

Thanks!

My little secret for late night/weekend parking in Boston is the Lafayette Garage, which is a stone's throw from the Boston Opera House and Boston Common. It's about 3/4 of a mile from Faneuil Hall, so it's not super close, but it's doable if you're okay with a bit of a hike. It's about a mile and a half from the Garden, so it's not great post-game - but you can take the T to it easily, either Green Line (Park or Boylston) or the Orange Line (Chinatown).

Parking there is $20 for weekday evening parking (4 PM to 5 AM) or for any period of 12 hours Saturday/Sunday. I get a $5 discount from my Broadway in Boston subscription, and they've never questioned me when I show my card despite occasionally wearing a Bruins jersey and clearly exiting at a time when the theater is NOT letting out.

I don't think $15 is the cheapest, but for covered, non-valet/blocked 24-hour access that feels safe, I think it's good. Sadly, I consider anything $20 and under fairly good for parking in Boston.

If there's no event at the Garden, parking there could actually be cheaper - $10, but they close at 1 AM, so that probably won't work for you. And their rates are $10 for the 5 AM to 6 PM block, and $10 for the 6 PM to 1 AM block, so if you enter at 5:30 PM and stay over half an hour, it'll probably be $20.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Watched Game 2 at Greatest Bar because we were able to reserve a table. Atmosphere was fun but a little more of a younger / there to be at the bar rather than watch the game crowd. Took in the Fan Fest before the game which was a lot of fun too, met Jack and Brick. Jack must have spent 2 hours before the pre game shaking hands and getting photos with folks.

Last night watched at The Fours which we enjoyed more (possibly due to the outcome). But both were a great time glad we made the trek down.

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
Quick question . Where have I seen the big crowd watching the games in Boston? Was it faunal hall ? Is it open to the public - free ? Has anyone been that has some feedback ? TY

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Quick question . Where have I seen the big crowd watching the games in Boston? Was it faunal hall ? Is it open to the public - free ? Has anyone been that has some feedback ? TY

Depends on the game. IIRC, Game 1 of the SCF (on Memorial Day) had a special viewing party on the Boston City Hall plaza. It's not the same as the Faneuil Hall market place, but they're both part in the general Government Center area of downtown Boston. Probably a 2-3 minute walk from one to the other. That's the viewing party that had Lil Nas X and...Chase Rice? Is that a person? I didn't go to it, but it was free to the public, and I think they had food carts and beer and wine stations for purchase, and large screens with the game.

That section of Boston is about a 10-15 minute walk to TD Garden - not exactly a stone's throw, but not far, either.

There have also been multiple Fan Fests on Canal Street, between Causeway Street and Valenti Way, right in front of the new "grand entrance" to TD Garden via the Hub on Causeway. I think they started with the ECF, and haven't stopped yet. They set up all the broadcasters there from the NHL Network, NBCSN, NESN, etc. to do their "live hits" from there. You'll inevitably hear some Boston guys yelling to Patrick Sharp about how hot he is. No drinks on the street, but the Canal Street is basically bar after bar - but good luck getting in.

They called the festivities for Game 1 of the ECF a "Fan Fest and Watch Party", but I haven't seen them use the phrase "watch party" in conjunction with the events outside on Canal Street ever since. I could be wrong, though. I'm not a huge fan of the Fan Fest, but I've only walked around there before the game itself - it's about 50% people trying to get on TV, 30% people getting one last smoke, and 20% people trying to make their way into North Station/TD Garden. It's basically a bunch of sponsor booths, and some random unknown local band playing songs. (I heard "Country Road" and "Your Love", both of which mildly annoyed me.)

That said, I can't imagine anyone would want to watch the game outside, when there are bars where you might be able to sit and would definitely be able to drink literally 20 feet away.

The only other place they do large outdoor viewing parties is Boston Common. That's yet another completely different area. The Sox have one coming up, but the Bruins haven't used it this year from what I've gathered.

Reactions: jgatie

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
I have a pretty good feel for the city as far as getting around from place to place. Do they have a jumbo screen where you can watch the game , kind of like Toronto does? I’m interested in game 7 if they can pull it off tonight.,

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I have a pretty good feel for the city as far as getting around from place to place. Do they have a jumbo screen where you can watch the game , kind of like Toronto does? I’m interested in game 7 if they can pull it off tonight.,

My guess is they haven't done a big screen on Canal since that one game earlier - either in the ECF or SCF, not sure which. And they haven't done any parties other than Canal other than the one SCF opening party at City Hall Plaza that definitely had big screens.

Not sure what they'll do for Game 7, but they'll probably announce it tomorrow - I'll link it if I see it. For whatever reason, hockey purists in Boston tend to look down on the group watch parties like the ones they have in Toronto (or the one they had in St. Louis today). Personally, I think they're great - cool to see a city come together to support their team.

City Hall Plaza has the "Wachusett Beer Yard" every day, so I don't think they like to use that area, but maybe that can coexist with a big screen and crowd? Not sure. Boston Common would be another logical area, but they never seem to activate it for Bruins games.

The other option would be to hit the bars on and around Causeway. They should be packed, I'd think.

Reactions: MAINE-IAC

Seider Town

Aug 9, 2014
USA
Outsider from Detroit stopping in (Go Wings!).

Since it fell perfectly on my vacation week from work I decided to pull the trigger on a ticket for game 7 off stubhub, looks like it's a mobileticket. Is there anyway to get a physical ticket at the game? Really want a physical ticket just as a keepsake of going to a Cup Final game 7!. Not a fan of either team but figured might as well just for the fun of the atmosphere of a game of this nature. Plus it gives me a chance to break out my Krug Michigan State jersey!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Since it fell perfectly on my vacation week from work I decided to pull the trigger on a ticket for game 7 off stubhub, looks like it's a mobileticket. Is there anyway to get a physical ticket at the game? Really want a physical ticket just as a keepsake of going to a Cup Final game 7!. Not a fan of either team but figured might as well just for the fun of the atmosphere of a game of this nature. Plus it gives me a chance to break out my Krug Michigan State jersey!
Love the Krug jersey (not so much the MSU part but I digress).

You can always take a screenshot of the ticket but I'd say 90% of the fans use mobile ticketing as it is faster and unless you lose your phone, a lot more secure than carrying paper.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

Hard tickets would have to come from the seller. Most choose to use mobile because it's easier than mailing/fedexing the actual hard ticket.

Your only hope would be to contact StubHub and see if they could ask the seller if they'd be willing to send you the original, but that wouldn't be able to happen until after the event. Even then it's a super long shot. Not to mention unless the seller is a STH, they may not even have the actual ticket.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Honestly, your best bet would be to check eBay or craigslist on Thursday for a ticket stub that's not your seat...but even that may be a little tough to find...or pricey for what it is. And, of course, you always risk getting a knock-off for a keepsake like that. Some sports memorabilia stores may make reproductions that you can get, too.

TD Garden does still offer the option of physical tickets for non-Bruin games...I don't know about individual Bruins games. But since it usually costs extra, and since most people like the convenience of their phone, and since the default is a mobile ticket, I don't think many select it. They won't even hold your ticket for you at Will Call unless you're from outside the US/Canada. You can also get physical tickets if you buy directly from the box office at North Station...but good luck with that for Game 7. Unless the ticket booth is capable of selling you the red "recycle" tickets (which they may - I don't know), I doubt there will be any primary tickets for sale there.

Ace Ticket used to have physical tickets, and I think occasionally they would give out tickets after the game if you wanted them that didn't necessarily match your seat, if you really wanted it as a keepsake. But since you already bought the ticket, and since Ace doesn't really do that anymore, that's not an option.

I doubt StubHub would contact the seller on your behalf, especially if you already bought the ticket. They put up a wall between the seller and buyer - supposedly for the convenience of both, so you don't get sellers sending unsolicited ads to buyers. But the real reason for this is they don't want to encourage private "off-site" sales that compete for StubHub's business.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Me and a buddy are seriously considering making the trek down from Hamilton, Ontario - not to attend the game, but to go to a local bar and watch it with some of the proverbial "you guys".

Hotel rooms look to be....well, not very promising.

Any insights as to where we could book that might be a bit off the beaten path but still within, say, a 30 minute cab ride or subway ride so that we could be near the action?

Better yet, any of you HFBoards folks wanna put us up for the night? :)

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Consider checking out Medford/Somerville, there are a fair number of hotels that are either a quick uber/cab to the train or downtown itself, or some you can even walk to the subway.

AC Hotel
Hyatt Place
The Row Hotel at Assembly

Reactions: Fenway and NeelyDan

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Me and a buddy are seriously considering making the trek down from Hamilton, Ontario - not to attend the game, but to go to a local bar and watch it with some of the proverbial "you guys".

Hotel rooms look to be....well, not very promising.

Any insights as to where we could book that might be a bit off the beaten path but still within, say, a 30 minute cab ride or subway ride so that we could be near the action?

Better yet, any of you HFBoards folks wanna put us up for the night? :)
Pretty much any time I have gone to Boston have stayed on the outskirts and taken train and then subway,pretty easy to figure it out,and if not people have always been very helpful with questions.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
You won’t have to change if you stay in the ‘burbs serviced by commuter rail terminating in North Station/BostonGarden. Off the train, along the concourse, up then escalator right into the arena.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
You won’t have to change if you stay in the ‘burbs serviced by commuter rail terminating in North Station/BostonGarden. Off the train, along the concourse, up then escalator right into the arena.

Yes but commuter rail runs on a schedule. I would never recommend someone rely on the commuter rail for a Game 7.

Stay in an area serviced by the orange, red, or blue line and you'll have the flexibility you need to not have to make a train.

Reactions: talkinaway

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
For whoever was asking about watch parties - apparently they’re setting up a screen for a watch party in or around Warrior Ice Arena, which is where the Bruins practice. It’s definitely NOT super close to the Garden, and not exactly convenient for public transportation. Also, the arena itself seats about 400 people, so...good luck with that. I don’t see any way that it’s not going to fill up, even if it isn’t exactly close to the central hub of Boston.

Maybe they’re keeping the locale of any other “official” public watch parties quiet until 24 hours before the event. I assume they’re going to do the same street festivities. Bars, as always, will have the game on - and the Sox moved their game from tomorrow night to tomorrow afternoon, so there’s no excuse not to show it.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Usually when I’m in town, it’s quick. For a game, for a museum or for business.

Just curious what the best places are, other than bars or cafes, to kind of hangout and explore. Somewhere where one might linger and even read? PM is fine. Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad