OT: Visiting Boston? We are here to help.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I've worked in the Seaport since 2007, International Place before that. As nice and developed as it is now, I miss the $7 dirt lots and no traffic to get back over the bridge.
Yeah, when I’m there I don’t worry about traffic or parking or rent and it’s a short walk from office to hotel.
C73AEC0D-99F2-4519-BC3D-9FFA4E92B678.jpeg

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Anyone know if there's plans to have a watch party in or outside the Stadium for the road games? The Mrs and I will be down from Sask during games 2 and 3. Looks like they did a watch party thing for home games in the earlier series so I'm assuming that will continue? If not, any recommends on best places to watch?

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Anyone know if there's plans to have a watch party in or outside the Stadium for the road games? The Mrs and I will be down from Sask during games 2 and 3. Looks like they did a watch party thing for home games in the earlier series so I'm assuming that will continue? If not, any recommends on best places to watch?

It wasn’t a watch party, it was a fan fest where they closed down Canal St and had music and booths and NESN filmed the pregame there.

I can’t recall the team doing a watch party in the past. I don’t think the city would allow it. They didn’t open up the arena in ‘11 or ‘13 for away games. ‘13 was right after the bombing so that made sense but if they didn’t do it in ‘11 I would be surprised if they did it now.

Plenty of bars and restaurants in this thread to poke through that would be good places to watch.

Reactions: DoubleAAAA

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
It wasn’t a watch party, it was a fan fest where they closed down Canal St and had music and booths and NESN filmed the pregame there.

I can’t recall the team doing a watch party in the past. I don’t think the city would allow it. They didn’t open up the arena in ‘11 or ‘13 for away games. ‘13 was right after the bombing so that made sense but if they didn’t do it in ‘11 I would be surprised if they did it now.

Plenty of bars and restaurants in this thread to poke through that would be good places to watch.

Did they not have a screen of the game set up for the home ECF games? I didn't really look down Canal Street carefully, but for at least one of the games, they supposedly did. I do know they had a "Fan Fest", which to me looked like basically a zone for NESN to broadcast their pregame show, and an area for sponsors to set up booths. Also probably conveniently closed Canal Street for when everyone flooded out after the game.

Bruins to Host Playoffs Fan Fest & Watch Party

NHL.com said:
On Thursday, May 9, the Fan Fest will start at 5:30 p.m. ahead of Game One, which will start at 8:00 p.m. Once the game is underway, fans who don't have tickets can watch the NBCSN broadcast of the game in its entirety on the big screen located within the Fan Fest location on Canal Street.

I remember either last year or the year before, they were going to pipe in a game at Boston Common, but that got nixed because of broadcast rights. Something about the size and/or number of the screens that they were going to use.

As far as what they do for the SCF - no idea. I'm pretty sure they randomly show a few Red Sox games in the Common. Maybe they do that again? Canal Street doesn't seem like a very comfy place to stand for 3 hours to watch a game. I'd rather go in the Fours and have a beer and watch.

Reactions: DoubleAAAA

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Exactly. As I said before, no self-respecting Bostonian is going to leave the bar to go watch a hockey game outside.

Reactions: sooshii

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Just bought tickets for game1 SCF. I have never traveled to the Boston area before. What is the recomendation for accomdations near TD garden with the best ways to get to the game and to get back to the hotel? Thanks in advance! Go Bruins!!!!!!!!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'm not a Boston hotel expert, so I'll leave that to someone else. But if you're staying anywhere in the Boston area, the T, our subway system will get you directly to the Garden. The stop for the Garden is North Station - it's on both the Green Line and Orange Line. If you want MBTA directions, you can usually get them by using the "public transportation" option on Google Maps - as an example, here's a map to the Sheraton Boston Hotel (not a recommendation - literally the first hotel that popped up) from the Garden:

Google Maps

You'll note that it tells you to take the "E" line. The Green Line is the only line that has significant splits when going west out of Boston - you can look at the subway map on mbta.com.

One note: Typically at North Station, the only Green Line trains that come are "C" and "E". If you want "B" or "D", you have to take a train two stops to Park Street (B) or Government Center (D), get off, and reboard a train that will usually be empty - you just wait on the same platform where you get off.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Just bought tickets for game1 SCF. I have never traveled to the Boston area before. What is the recomendation for accomdations near TD garden with the best ways to get to the game and to get back to the hotel? Thanks in advance! Go Bruins!!!!!!!!

definitely take the subway. unless you want to be near the arena for the atmosphere, you dont have to limit yourself to hotels near it.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Boston is a very walkable city. If you book a hotel in the Faneuil Hall or Government Center areas you can easily walk to Toronto
Dominion Garden, weather permitting.

Reactions: Chief Nine

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

we stayed at Boston Park Plaza a few years ago, we flew in and not a chance were we renting a car as you simply don`t need to unless you have a desire to leave the downtown core and do some sightseeing outside the city. I have always found the T-Lines easy to navigate around the city with and the city itself is very welcoming to tourists who simply like to walk.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
we stayed at Boston Park Plaza a few years ago, we flew in and not a chance were we renting a car as you simply don`t need to unless you have a desire to leave the downtown core and do some sightseeing outside the city. I have always found the T-Lines easy to navigate around the city with and the city itself is very welcoming to tourists who simply like to walk.

Thanks! I will start looking around that area.

Reactions: Fenway

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Thanks! I will start looking around that area.
for a major city, incredibly easy to get around IMO but again, we didn`t go outside of the downtown core, just used the T Lines or walked. Been to probably 10-11 cities in the U.S and Boston has always been my favorite

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Definitely agree about taking the T have been to Boston numerous times ,I never drive anywhere,park at the Hotel and take the T everywhere,one thing I have wandered through haven’t been for a playoffs game ,how late due the trains run ,with OT always being an option.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Definitely agree about taking the T have been to Boston numerous times ,I never drive anywhere,park at the Hotel and take the T everywhere,one thing I have wandered through haven’t been for a playoffs game ,how late due the trains run ,with OT always being an option.

The last trains for the Green and Orange lines leave North Station at 12:45 PM.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

A good idea if you are going to be using the T a lot during your stay is to get a Charlie Card. They are available at major stations, and give you a discount over the usual Charlie Tickets sold at the machines. Plus, you can simply tap the Charlie Card on the turnstile reader, whereas the ticket you have to insert. The card itself is free and you get a cool souvenir that you can use again if you come back.

See this link for a drop down of stations that give out Charlie Cards:

CharlieCard | Fares Overview | MBTA

Reactions: talkinaway

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Thanks so with the 8:00 starts double OT could be an issue.

Yes, it could be an issue....but for the record, the 8 PM, 2OT game Saturday night against Carolina this year ended at 12:10 AM according to the NHL summary. The T was still going strong - I remember checking my phone out of curiosity, and there were a couple of Riverside trains on the Green Line behind me that were going to arrive at about 1:20 or 1:30 AM IIRC...and it takes about an hour from North Station.

Granted, that game only lasted maybe 3 minutes into 2OT, but I think a full 2OT would get you safely to North Station by 12:45 AM if you don't dilly-dally. It's possible that they'd hold a couple of trains back if they know a natural break in the game is coming soon, but I wouldn't count on it.

For the record, I had no problem with the T at Boston Strong concert at the Garden 6 years ago...the concert "started" at 7 PM, really started around 8, and there's a 4 hour video of the livestream they did on YouTube that probably doesn't include Dane Cook. I think it ended around 12:30 or 12:45 AM. Then again, the T knew about this; "Boston subway closes despite charity concert running long" isn't a good look. But they definitely don't hold the T for extra innings at Fenway...the Cup might be a little different, but it's good to have a plan B (aka Uber).

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
A good idea if you are going to be using the T a lot during your stay is to get a Charlie Card. They are available at major stations, and give you a discount over the usual Charlie Tickets sold at the machines. Plus, you can simply tap the Charlie Card on the turnstile reader, whereas the ticket you have to insert. The card itself is free and you get a cool souvenir that you can use again if you come back.

See this link for a drop down of stations that give out Charlie Cards:

CharlieCard | Fares Overview | MBTA

Thanks a ton for that info!!!!!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

They also occasionally sell the Charlie Cards with $5 preloaded (good for two one-way fares and change) from vans at the Fenway and Riverside T stops during a few Red Sox games. It may be cash only, and you can reload them there if you need more. They're also available in North Station, right underneath TD Garden, all the time, credit cards accepted.

It's worth the 1 minute to grab one, since the fare is 50 cents cheaper, and they're faster to use, but it's not really worth going out of your way if you're not at a station that doens't have one already.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

No problem. If you are flying in, you can take the Silver Line from Logan to South Station and get a Charlie Card there. From there, you can connect to whatever station your hotel is at, or pick up an Uber/cab outside.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Yes, it could be an issue....but for the record, the 8 PM, 2OT game Saturday night against Carolina this year ended at 12:10 AM according to the NHL summary. The T was still going strong - I remember checking my phone out of curiosity, and there were a couple of Riverside trains on the Green Line behind me that were going to arrive at about 1:20 or 1:30 AM IIRC...and it takes about an hour from North Station.

Granted, that game only lasted maybe 3 minutes into 2OT, but I think a full 2OT would get you safely to North Station by 12:45 AM if you don't dilly-dally. It's possible that they'd hold a couple of trains back if they know a natural break in the game is coming soon, but I wouldn't count on it.

For the record, I had no problem with the T at Boston Strong concert at the Garden 6 years ago...the concert "started" at 7 PM, really started around 8, and there's a 4 hour video of the livestream they did on YouTube that probably doesn't include Dane Cook. I think it ended around 12:30 or 12:45 AM. Then again, the T knew about this; "Boston subway closes despite charity concert running long" isn't a good look. But they definitely don't hold the T for extra innings at Fenway...the Cup might be a little different, but it's good to have a plan B (aka Uber).

I would not count on the T being available if there were to be an extra long multi OT game that might end past the last train scheduled to leave North Station.

Reactions: talkinaway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad