OT: Visiting Boston? We are here to help.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I'm heading out to Boston this Friday. Dropping my daughter and her friend at TD Garden for Brown show.
Guys know what is the best and of course closest drop off spot without being immediately harassed by other drivers?

Also I'm thinking of heading to Copleys right after drop off. Any good spot(s) for parking and do you recommend other areas to visit.? Only staying one night so time is of the essence.

Thanks

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Just arrived from Boston
Beautiful city. I've seen it before many years ago
Went to Neptune for supper
Had sea bass..it was great
Did the hop on hop off tour
Love Boston

Reactions: Ladyfan

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Didn't really know where to ask this, the Visting Boston thread may not be the best place (Mods feel free to move), but I've always wanted to book a trip around a Bruins game. Vegas was my #1 choice, but I waited too long to start the research on this and I will not be able to get this done by October 10. So with that, I went with my second choice, Nashville. The game is on Tuesday, January 7th, 2020. So here are my questions:

1.) How is Nashville during the week? I assume it's a great lively place on the weekends, but I'm not looking to go down there for a long time. I was planning on going down that Monday morning, staying all day/night Tuesday (Bruins game at night), then flying home Wednesday afternoon.

2.) Any reccomendations for hotels or restuarants/bars?

3.) How's the area around the arena?

Thanks to anyone who could answer some or all of these. Who's from down there, @Bruinaura? Maybe you could chime in :laugh:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Didn't really know where to ask this, the Visting Boston thread may not be the best place (Mods feel free to move), but I've always wanted to book a trip around a Bruins game. Vegas was my #1 choice, but I waited too long to start the research on this and I will not be able to get this done by October 10. So with that, I went with my second choice, Nashville. The game is on Tuesday, January 7th, 2020. So here are my questions:

1.) How is Nashville during the week? I assume it's a great lively place on the weekends, but I'm not looking to go down there for a long time. I was planning on going down that Monday morning, staying all day/night Tuesday (Bruins game at night), then flying home Wednesday afternoon.

2.) Any reccomendations for hotels or restuarants/bars?

3.) How's the area around the arena?

Thanks to anyone who could answer some or all of these. Who's from down there, @Bruinaura? Maybe you could chime in :laugh:
Shouldn’t you pose these questions on the Nashville Board? It has a thread for those visiting the city.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Guys.. two questions..where do the Bruins typically practice during the week and any idea if they are open to public. Txs

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Guys.. two questions..where do the Bruins typically practice during the week and any idea if they are open to public. Txs

The practice arena is Warrior Ice Arena - it's about 20 minutes west of the Garden. Virtually all their practices/morning skates are open to the public. But just as an FYI, I think they cordon off the section of seats where the players enter/exit the ice for "media only", and have a sign saying "no autographs, please", which makes sense - if the players sign for one kid, they have to sign for them all, because the one in back is always the saddest story. Adds an hour to their work every day.

But you're more than welcome to go to most practices at Warrior. During the playoffs, they MIGHT have either shut down access at Warrior, or they might have moved practices to the Garden - I'm not sure which.

There are two places to get info for practices. The first is the Bruins Week Ahead, on the website. They publish a news article similar to this one every Friday:

Boston Bruins Week Ahead: September 28 - October 4

If you click "News" and scroll down on the left side, you'll hit one of those articles eventually. The other place to check is the Bruins twitter account @NHLBruins. They usually don't ANNOUNCE practices or cancellations, but there's usually some activity on the account during practice.

Practice usually starts either at 10, 10:30, or 11, depending on schedules, and might go on for 60-90 minutes on-ice, I think. As a warning, they can get cancelled. You can park in the garage for free if you validate at Warrior - the machine is by the concession stand, and is free (no purchase necessary). It's not particularly handy to the MBTA rail lines, but is handy to the T's commuter rail - unfortunately, those run more on an "hourly schedule" rather than every 5-6 minutes during rush hour like the T.

Warrior does have its own website: Warrior Ice Arena | Skate Where the Pros Skate I would urge caution if you look at their schedule - they block out extra time, so I'd go by the Bruins website and not the Warrior one.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
The practice arena is Warrior Ice Arena - it's about 20 minutes west of the Garden. Virtually all their practices/morning skates are open to the public. But just as an FYI, I think they cordon off the section of seats where the players enter/exit the ice for "media only", and have a sign saying "no autographs, please", which makes sense - if the players sign for one kid, they have to sign for them all, because the one in back is always the saddest story. Adds an hour to their work every day.

But you're more than welcome to go to most practices at Warrior. During the playoffs, they MIGHT have either shut down access at Warrior, or they might have moved practices to the Garden - I'm not sure which.

There are two places to get info for practices. The first is the Bruins Week Ahead, on the website. They publish a news article similar to this one every Friday:

Boston Bruins Week Ahead: September 28 - October 4

If you click "News" and scroll down on the left side, you'll hit one of those articles eventually. The other place to check is the Bruins twitter account @NHLBruins. They usually don't ANNOUNCE practices or cancellations, but there's usually some activity on the account during practice.

Practice usually starts either at 10, 10:30, or 11, depending on schedules, and might go on for 60-90 minutes on-ice, I think. As a warning, they can get cancelled. You can park in the garage for free if you validate at Warrior - the machine is by the concession stand, and is free (no purchase necessary). It's not particularly handy to the MBTA rail lines, but is handy to the T's commuter rail - unfortunately, those run more on an "hourly schedule" rather than every 5-6 minutes during rush hour like the T.

Warrior does have its own website: Warrior Ice Arena | Skate Where the Pros Skate I would urge caution if you look at their schedule - they block out extra time, so I'd go by the Bruins website and not the Warrior one.

YOU my friend are mighty helpful:)
It’s much appreciated!
Heading down there for a tournament in late october with my son’s minor hockey team and might check out a practice if his schedule allows for it.
Cheers and txs again!!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
YOU my friend are mighty helpful:)
It’s much appreciated!
Heading down there for a tournament in late october with my son’s minor hockey team and might check out a practice if his schedule allows for it.
Cheers and txs again!!

It's fun to watch, and I'd recommend that anyone go if they have the time. I typically go in the summer for the full training camp practices they have during a long weekend - they last a little longer, because they break them into two or three groups. If you do plan to go, know that on the weekend I'd imagine they're less likely to practice. They either have a game on Saturday, and they might give the boys a day off (especially if they played T/Th that week), or there's no game and they get a nice weekend day off. Weekdays are probably more reliable.

Oh, and I can't say this enough to anyone wanting to go by car: Validate your parking if you park in the lot. Because it is close to the commuter rail, they charge like $50. There is some street parking, and a free mini-lot right before you enter the Stop-N-Shop that has signs that say "2 hour limit". The Stop-N-Shop lot is marked for Stop-N-Shop only - I don't know how rigorously they police it, but I don't want to find out by visiting Vinnie's Tow-N-Go.

Unfortunately, I'm worried I'm a jinx. The last time I went to a practice at Warrior during the regular season a few years ago, Rask got Bjorked into the net, and got a concussion that kept him out for 3 games.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
We have two games on the Friday so hoping Bruins practice on the Friday and that the practice time doesnt conflict with my kid's games. We'll see. ..
As for the Saturday nite game .. do they typically sell out ?

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
We have two games on the Friday so hoping Bruins practice on the Friday and that the practice time doesnt conflict with my kid's games. We'll see. ..

Every game sells out. Very rarely can you get tickets at the box office before the game, and that is only when they hold some back. If you haven't gotten tickets yet, be prepared to use a ticket broker.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

From "Saturday" and "October", I'm assuming you're either talking about the home opener against NJD or the game two weeks after that against...*checks schedule*...oh, THAT team.

Normally I'm a little skeptical when the Bruins say they "sell out" every game. It's a sell out on paper - I wouldn't be surprised if they sell tickets to companies that resell them on sites like StubHub, Ace Ticket, TickPick, etc. But for those two games, given that they're on a Saturday...yeah, they'll be in high demand. Nothing happening at Fenway. No pro football on Saturday. No basketball at the Garden, obviously. Maybe college football?

And both of those games are "special" games - the home opener usually comes down a little, but weekend games do tend to have a get-in price that's significantly higher than weekday counterparts.

But you can pretty much always find a ticket all the way up to puck drop - either on TicketMaster as an official secondary market resale, or on StubHub/Ace Ticket/TickPick for the unofficial secondary market (you're guaranteed to get your money back if the ticket's no good, but the tickets are usually good.) The question is how much you want to pay. Both of those tickets are currently north of $120 (fees included) just to get in the Garden - last year, no regular season game was higher than $120 if you bought at the exact right time, and the only ones over $100 were the Black Friday game and a random weekend game in January against the Rags.

As far as timing goes, before February, most regular season games hit rock bottom the day of the game or the day before. I think prices shot up at the start of February, after football was over and when we were in a good playoff position - some of those later games had low prices that happened a month before the game.

That said, primo games like the opener and the one against STL may not act normally. I'd look at the prices, and if you see seats you like for a price you want to pay, buy.

I've never bought at the box office, but I want to say I actually have heard of people walking up and buying tickets there. Don't know if they have the the "TM+" resale tickets in their inventory, or just the primary "blue dot" tickets. I have no idea what they charge, or if they charge fees if you go in person. If they don't charge fees, it could be worth it.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Again,appreciate all the info. (Who needs to research anything on their own anymore:) And yeah..its the Saturday game vs ...THAT! team. I think my kid would be just as happy to catch a practice and spend Saturday nite running around the hotel..lol
Thanks again for the intel!

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Is there something going on in the city Nov 1-2? Im looking to drive up from the maritimes to see the bruins sens game but hotels are like $400/night which is considerably more than usual.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Is there something going on in the city Nov 1-2? Im looking to drive up from the maritimes to see the bruins sens game but hotels are like $400/night which is considerably more than usual.

I see no unusual events for that weekend :dunno:

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Hey guys, I will be attending my first Habs vs Bruins game in Boston on December 1st. As you could see, I'm a Habs fan, and well.. uh... I just wanted to know what I should expect (considering I will be supporting my Habs and wearing a Habs jersey at the game)!

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Hey guys, I will be attending my first Habs vs Bruins game in Boston on December 1st. As you could see, I'm a Habs fan, and well.. uh... I just wanted to know what I should expect (considering I will be supporting my Habs and wearing a Habs jersey at the game)!

Just act like you are a guest in someone else's house (which you are!) and you will be fine. As I always say: Acting like an ass will get you into far more trouble than looking like one.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Just act like you are a guest in someone else's house (which you are!) and you will be fine. As I always say: Acting like an ass will get you into far more trouble than looking like one.
Thank you for the reply! I look forward to spending time in your amazing city again and hopefully have a blast at the game!!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

One of the first games I went to at the Garden was the 2007 Game 6 playoff game versus the Habs. Sat by a couple who were in bleu blanc et rouge jerseys, and I didn't see them being harassed at all. It's generally "you get what you give" - same as any other arena. I don't subscribe to any "XXX fans are the WORST!" theories, since there's some rotten apples in every barrel.

Wearing the jersey is fine - I saw plenty of Devils jerseys last night, and there's always an onslaught of Habs jerseys at Habs games. Directing comments at Bruins fans about "Le petit raton Marchand"? I'd stay away from that. As said, act like you're a guest. Cheering at a goal's fine - just don't expect us to join in.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
The only stuff I've ever seen is when the other fan base starts getting rowdy and kind of puts a target on themselves. You may get a little more ribbing in the bathrooms between periods (at least I've seen that for Habs fans in the 300 bathrooms) but it never goes beyond stupid ribbing unless it gets escalated from the other side, and the vast majority of Bs fans want none of that crap so they usually shut down their own if it ever gets beyond "good natured".

member 157595

Thank you for the reply! I look forward to spending time in your amazing city again and hopefully have a blast at the game!!

I'm a Leafs fan that has lived in the Boston suburbs for over 9 years now and I've never had a problem in Boston. I'm treated more as a curiosity than anything else. People genuinely wonder why an American living in Middlesex County is a Leafs fan but I've never, ever had a problem at a game here. I shut my mouth and watch the games, and no one has ever treated me badly at the arena.

Outside of games, people here are too damn busy to give a crap about someone else's fan affiliation.

member 157595

The only stuff I've ever seen is when the other fan base starts getting rowdy and kind of puts a target on themselves. You may get a little more ribbing in the bathrooms between periods (at least I've seen that for Habs fans in the 300 bathrooms) but it never goes beyond stupid ribbing unless it gets escalated from the other side, and the vast majority of Bs fans want none of that crap so they usually shut down their own if it ever gets beyond "good natured".

I've seen a Leafs fan with his young child get harassed by a drunk Bruins fan before and some other guy in a Bruins hat told the harasser not so kindly to shut the f*** up and leave the kid alone or he was going to regret it the rest of his life.

People generally don't abuse opposing fans here. It might have been different in the original Garden with the small rink (I've never been) but not in the Jeremy Jacobs Corporate Parade.

EDIT: This assumes the visiting fan is not a schmuck. If you are, expect Bruins fans to fight back.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
EDIT: This assumes the visiting fan is not a schmuck. If you are, expect Bruins fans to fight back.

October 30, 1986 - It was 3 days after the Red Sox lost Game 7 to the Mets. The Bruins were playing our friends from Poutineville.

2 insane college students thought it would be cool to parade around the walkway that separated the loge from the stadium seats with a large Mets championship banner. :rolleyes:

I was in the balcony and I noticed that the Boston Police detail that covered the 4 exit portals of that walkway all decided to get a cup of coffee and then these clowns were attacked by a wave of fans and referee Bob Myers stopped play so the players could watch.

member 157595

October 30, 1986 - It was 3 days after the Red Sox lost Game 7 to the Mets. The Bruins were playing our friends from Poutineville.

2 insane college students thought it would be cool to parade around the walkway that separated the loge from the stadium seats with a large Mets championship banner. :rolleyes:

I was in the balcony and I noticed that the Boston Police detail that covered the 4 exit portals of that walkway all decided to get a cup of coffee and then these clowns were attacked by a wave of fans and referee Bob Myers stopped play so the players could watch.

What a bunch of dumbasses. :laugh:

Got what they deserved.

Reactions: Fenway

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
Hey everyone (Leafs fan coming in peace)! Me and my two buddies are going to be driving down to Boston to watch the Caps play the Bruins on the 16th of November. It’s my friends first NHL game, and I was wondering what you guys would recommend to help their first experience!

Also, does anyone have any info on how/where to get autographs from the Bruins and Capitals? I heard that the Bruins might sign at their practice arena the Warrior ice arena. Also wondering if anyone knows where most away teams stay while they are in Boston, would love to get Ovi’s autograph :).

Thank you for your help

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
At this year’s camp just before the preseason games, they cordoned off the seats that connected to the tunnel where the players came off as “press only” to prevent autographs. That didn’t stop some little kids from going under the ropes and getting an autograph, but my momma woulda yanked me back in my seat before she let me do that. The old practice arena (Ristuccia) explicitly had signs barring autographs in the parking lot - ostensibly for player safety, but also for player sanity. You sign one autograph, you sign 50. That’s an hour tacked on to your work.

That said, if players are willing and clearly actively in the mood to sign, go for it - especially if you’ve got a kiddo with you. They tend to be skeptical of adults thanks to eBay - although I understand the lure of the autograph personally. I have a few signed pucks, and no desire to sell them at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kovi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad