Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier (Reports: 5 years, $4.5 per season, NMC; jersey #40; upds post #1)

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Glad you folks enjoyed the video. You're getting a very special person and I just wanted to do what little I could to make you aware of that. Best of luck to you - if it doesn't keep *us* from winning it all, I hope you can get his name on the Cup again. :) (I think you've got a few years while we're in a mini-rebuild!)

As a Montrealer, I have heard much about Lecavalier, including his overwhelming generosity. I was saddened at first to hear that he was being bought out by Tampa Bay, and hope that the amazing things he started there continue to benefit the populations they serve.

On the other side, I am not only excited to have such a dynamic player on the Flyers, but proud, too, given his enormous heart and generosity.

More millionaires need to be like him. I know the Flyers have been blessed with many.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
As a Montrealer, I have heard much about Lecavalier, including his overwhelming generosity. I was saddened at first to hear that he was being bought out by Tampa Bay, and hope that the amazing things he started there continue to benefit the populations they serve.

On the other side, I am not only excited to have such a dynamic player on the Flyers, but proud, too, given his enormous heart and generosity.

More millionaires need to be like him. I know the Flyers have been blessed with many.

He has said that his foundation will continue, and that All Children's Hospital will still be a main focus. I have no doubt whatsoever that local Philadelphia charities are going to benefit from his philanthropic endeavors, as well.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
So they buyout Briere to get some cap space to... sign a 34 year old replacement for Briere?

1. They did gain cap space.
2. Lecavalier isn't 34, he just turned 33 in April.
3. Lecavalier is a major upgrade from Briere if you have watched the Flyers the past 2 years.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So they buyout Briere to get some cap space to... sign a 34 year old replacement for Briere?

Well Vinny is 33 and Briere is 35 (turning 36 this October) . Briere struggled both offensively and couldnt play center because he was terrible defensively. Overall Vinny, for 2 mil less, provides ALOT more than Briere.

CameronNeely08

Seabass
Mar 25, 2008
Yeah they are totally comparable. They also signed them to the same contract.

If there was cap space to burn, alright. But there wasn't. Aren't they above the cap with more pressing concerns? They basically shipped out Briere, which made total sense, and then pushed themselves right back over the cap by signing someone who will essentially do what he did. What's the move here, trading Coutourier or Schenn? I don't know how you buy out like 13 million in cap space and don't fix your problems... while still remaining over the cap.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
If there was cap space to burn, alright. But there wasn't. Aren't they above the cap with more pressing concerns? They basically shipped out Briere, which made total sense, and then pushed themselves right back over the cap by signing someone who will essentially do what he did. What's the move here, trading Coutourier or Schenn? I don't know how you buy out like 13 million in cap space and don't fix your problems... while still remaining over the cap.

They're currently a mil or 2 over the cap with more moves to come. They've got the cushion to their benefit and then Pronger to LTIR when the season starts. I'm not too worried. Buying out Bryz and Briere saved 12 million to sign Vinny, Streit and Emery. Not a bad switch.

CameronNeely08

Seabass
Mar 25, 2008
They're currently a mil or 2 over the cap with more moves to come. They've got the cushion to their benefit and then Pronger to LTIR when the season starts. I'm not too worried. Buying out Bryz and Briere saved 12 million to sign Vinny, Streit and Emery. Not a bad switch.

I guess. Why over pay for two guys who aren't very good when you can overpay for three?

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I guess. Why over pay for two guys who aren't very good when you can overpay for three?

I'm not even gonna address the ignorance of comparing Briere to Vinny a couple posts back but how exactly are they overpaying for these guys? Emery came very cheap and if you have paid any attention to some of the other signings recently you wouldn't be calling Vinny's contract an overpayment. Streit is right on par with the kinda money other UFAs are getting. The only thing anyone could argue about these deals is length of contract but certainly not the money. In short, to say "overpay" is just flat out dumb, I'm sorry.

The Flyers added the best d-man, forward and goalie available this off-season for less then the cost of Bryz and Briere. They didn't lose any of the young guys or core pieces in the process and are comfortably under the cap by putting Pronger on LTIR or moving injury riddled Mez when he finally gets healthy. They also aren't any cap concerns in the immediate future. Holmgren so far has had a very good off-season, arguing otherwise just makes you look ill-informed. But that comes as no surprise as the majority of fans on this site are ill-informed of the Flyers situation (mostly cap related).

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

The Flyers also needed another top six forward badly after losing Briere, JVR, and Jagr in two offseasons. Lecavalier fits that need and then some. It also takes some of the pressure off of younger guys like Schenn and Couturier, and allows them to develop more slowly in complimentary roles.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't have a problem with any of the deals made so far, even the Streit deal. I know what he is, he doesn't have a lot of NHL miles on him either.

He's played 6 1/2 seasons in the NHL. I know he played in Europe, but those are basically no hitting leagues, aren't they?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I mean did you see that game that Emery lost last year? That one game he lost was inexcusable and honestly, they probably could've won it with Crawford in net. Who knows how that one game could've turned the tide of the season.

I agree completely. That game could have made a huge difference in the Hawks winning the Cup quicker.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Still not as bad an overpayment as Emery and VL though. Those guys should not even be in the NHL.

Give your head a shake, every team in the NHL(except TB) wanted Vinnie and the Flyers landed him. Emery is a lot better than the last time the Flyers had him including the surgery he had on his hip and his 17-1 record last year. Two high quality type players for the same salary as Briere's cap, well done Homer. Briere will end up being another Gomez for the Habs, you watch.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Give your head a shake, every team in the NHL(except TB) wanted Vinnie and the Flyers landed him. Emery is a lot better than the last time the Flyers had him including the surgery he had on his hip and his 17-1 record last year. Two high quality type players for the same salary as Briere's cap, well done Homer. Briere will end up being another Gomez for the Habs, you watch.

1281351891588.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad