Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier (Reports: 5 years, $4.5 per season, NMC; jersey #40; upds post #1)

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
How would you feel about him coming to the Flyers?

>>>>as per Eklund.....On Vinny Lecavalier..

Vinny has gone from wanting a short-term deal to a 5 or 6 year deal and it appears three teams are out front at this point... The Flyers are the favorites, but the Stars and Red Wings are also very interested...<<<<<<<<

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...so-Miller-to-East-Horton/1/52474#.UdI3UtKorxA

----------------------------------------------

Vincent Lecavalier

• Expected to wear number 40 (per Flyers)
  • 6'4"
  • 215 lbs
  • Birth Date: April 21, 1980 (33 years old)
  • Place of Birth: Ile Bizard, Que
  • Shoots: L
  • Experience: 14 years
  • Drafted: Drafted by Tampa Bay in 1998 (1/1)

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?1627
-------------------------------------

July 2, 2013 -- Team's Statement and Media Comments

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676253

The Philadelphia Flyers announced tonight that they have agreed to a multi-year contract with free agent center Vincent Lecavalier.

The 33-year-old Lecavalier has spent 14 seasons in the NHL, all with the Tampa Bay Lightning, where he has posted 383 goals and 491 assists for 874 points in 1,037 regular season games.

He has also posted 52 points (24g-28a) in 63 Stanley Cup Playoff games, including nine goals and 16 points to help lead the Lightning to the Stanley Cup Championship in 2004.

This past season with the Lightning, Lecavalier posted 32 points (10g-22a) in 39 games, while appearing in his 1,000th NHL game on Jan. 21 at New York Islanders.

Lecavalier won the Maurice Rocket Richard Trophy in the 2006-07 season after posting an NHL-best 52 goals, while also finishing third overall in the NHL in points with 108 in 82 games. He also was the recipient of the NHL's King Clancy Memorial Trophy, which is awarded to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution to his community.
-------------------------------------------------------

Source: Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 22m

5 years, $4.5 per for Vinny in Philly confirmed.
------------------------------------------------

Source: Tim P., CSN: https://twitter.com/tpanotchCSN

$22.5 over 5 years is correct figure. So does Coburn or Meszaros go? Their cap hits fit Lecavalier's range and something has to give

----------------------------------------------------
Source ESPN: Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

There's a full No-Move Clause in Lecavalier's deal

-------------------------

Source RDS: https://twitter.com/search?q=#RDS&src=hash

Re-tweeted by Sam C. from RDS:

https://twitter.com/BroadStBull

Structure du contrat de Vincent Lecavalier avec Flyers: 2013-14 6M$, 2014-15 6M$, 2015-16 4.5M$ 2016-17 3M$, 2017-18 3M$.â€

-----------------------------------------------------------

CSN article...

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/sources-flyers-sign-lecavalier-five-year-deal

Vincent Lecavalier is a Flyer.

The tall centerman and former Rocket Richard award winner who won a Stanley Cup with the Tampa Bay Lightning agreed to a five-year contract with the Flyers on Tuesday worth $22.5 million, according to league sources.

His cap hit would be $4.5 million, and he has a straight no-movement clause.

TSN broke the story first.

Lecavalier was bought out by the Lightning last week.

Lecavalier, 33, gives the club some much-needed size -- he's 6-foot-4 -- and he’s gotten progressively better in his faceoff percentage in recent years as he's gotten older, winning draws at a 54 percent clip last season.

His ice time has dropped from a peak of 23 minutes per game in 2008 to 18 minutes per game last year.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tampa Bay Times:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...vinny-lecavalier-headed-to-the-flyers/2129717

"Very excited," Philadelphia's Claude Giroux told ESPN.com. "He's going to bring a lot to our team."

Lecavalier, 33, has spent the past few days meeting and talking with suitors to talk about his future. Potential landing places included the Stars, Flames, Maple Leafs, Canadiens and Red Wings, among others.

The Flyers also are an interesting choice given the team's history with the Lightning. In fact, it can be argued the Flyers are Tampa Bay's biggest rival. The teams have met twice in the playoffs and in November 2011, the teams played the famous stall game in which the Flyers, in apparent protest of the Lightning's 1-3-1 defensive scheme, refused at times to skate the puck out of their own end.

As it turns out, Lecavalier will make out better financially than if he had stayed with Tampa Bay, which still owed Lecavalier $45 million in the last seven years of his deal. With his new $22.5 million deal added to the $32.667 million he will be paid by the Lightning, Lecavalier will make $55.167 million.

--------------------------------------

ESPN:

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nhl&id=25908&src=desktop

But the Philadelphia Flyers won out, agreeing to pay $22.5 million over five years for the 33-year-old center.

The Montreal Canadiens were in the mix for a good run, as well, but couldn’t make it work. The Boston Bruins and Detroit Red Wings also got serious consideration from Lecavalier among the 15 or so teams that showed interest.

“Wow,†one executive, whose team wasn’t in the running, texted to ESPN.com after the deal was announced.

Is Lecavalier worth $4.5 million a season?

The Flyers get a very motivated player who is out to prove he can still compete at an elite level. And in choosing Philadelphia, Lecavalier proved many wrong and showed that he was willing to go to a real hockey market.

Flyers captain Claude Giroux was pumped to hear the news, texting ESPN.com to say, “Really excited, he will bring a lot to our team.â€

Lecavalier will bring his 6-foot-4 frame, to be sure, and hands that have always been soft. I give Lecavalier credit for not choosing what seemed like the safest choice in Dallas, where he would have made good money and been left alone, as was the case all those years with the Tampa Bay Lightning, a team in another non-traditional hockey market.
-----------------------------------------------

The Sporting News:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...-lecavalier-flyers-salary-cap-nhl-free-agency

Last edited by a moderator:

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Since Richards won't be bought out I would love for Vinny to be a Flyer. This team needs another top center behind Giroux. Giroux/Vinny/Couturier would be very strong down the middle.

Clown Baby*

Since Richards won't be bought out I would love for Vinny to be a Flyer. This team needs another top center behind Giroux. Giroux/Vinny/Couturier would be very strong down the middle.
What he said. For 2-3 years, I'm all about the move. Gives us time to see how Schenn and Couturier develop, without losing any assets.

Last edited by a moderator:

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.

Would we be moving Schenn to wing? or is he dropping to 4th line center?

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Not opposed but don't see a need at all besides leadership - which would be nice to have as guys seemed to do well with Jagr in a leadership role...Still a very young team overall except on D.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Most seem to think he's better suited at the wing for the future. If him or Couturier aren't traded and we bring in Vinny he's going have to be switched to the wing otherwise it would make little sense. Schenn needs to be in the top 6 in some way.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

I think it's a foregone conclusion that Schenn is a winger moving forward.

I really like the Vinny option right now because the timing would be perfect. Let him handle heavy offensive duty for one or two years, then flip flop with Couturier when he's ready.

Lecavalier at 34/35 would be an excellent third line center and a terrific veteran presence.

And his expected cap hit would be very manageable.

I want.

Only problem is that this makes Laughton expendable which I don't like. But it's always nice to have good trading chips, I guess.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
I'd take vinny up to 6 years, as long as the contract is under 6mil..
You can only be frugal so often in this league, if you want an UFA you have to pay. Vinny is as good of a veteran UFA as we've seen in a long time. If we sign him for 6 years, kimmo & Streit will be gone. We have sooo much money without Bryz/briere now. That money won't win us anything just waiting

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
I think it's a foregone conclusion that Schenn is a winger moving forward.

I really like the Vinny option right now because the timing would be perfect. Let him handle heavy offensive duty for one or two years, then flip flop with Couturier when he's ready.

Lecavalier at 34/35 would be an excellent third line center and a terrific veteran presence.

And his expected cap hit would be very manageable.

I want.

Only problem is that this makes Laughton expendable which I don't like. But it's always nice to have good trading chips, I guess.

I really think it would be a mistake to trade either Schenn. So would Schenn move to 1st or 2nd line left wing. Playing with CG would be awesome for him but on Vinny's wing would be just as appealing..imo

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I posted this in another thread and Ill post it here. He would be taking minutes away from Schenn (or Couts if Schenn is moved to wing) at 2nd line center. Signing him is a win now move which this franchise is not ready for.

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
I posted this in another thread and Ill post it here. He would be taking minutes away from Schenn (or Couts if Schenn is moved to wing) at 2nd line center. Signing him is a win now move which this franchise is not ready for.

Moving Schenn to 1st or 2nd line wing would not cut into his minutes as I see it. Cout would still be the 3rd line shut down center so I see his minutes the same also. On a area it may hurt is on the PP and Vinny would be sweet on the second PP line...imo

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't see Vinny as an absolute need so there's no need to get in a full out bidding war for him.

I'm not sure if Couturier can handle second line duties right now so I'm a little intrigued by the idea of Vinny if the terms are some what reasonable.

Last edited:

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

Coots is only going to be 20 y/o. We still don't know that he is ready to take on 2nd line duties.

Brostradamus

LegionOfDoom Reunion
Feb 2, 2012
Dub C
Not for 5-6 years (keeping in mind that is just a rumor) but 3 years max would be acceptable for me. Last year we saw clearly what happened when a young team lacks veteran leadership and the moves to bring Knuble and Gagne back here were pretty clear that the FO was trying to fix that. Vinny brings that plus the fact that he will actually make a huge impact on the ice and not just in the locker room. Price has to be reasonable for all of this to make sense otherwise it's counterproductive moving forward with the future paydays of the young guys.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Coots is only going to be 20 y/o. We still don't know that he is ready to take on 2nd line duties.

Thank you. Second line center?! No he's not ready. I'm all for keeping him on the fourth line with Schenn on 3 and Vinny at 2 for this season. Not a fan of moving Schenn to wing, but then Coots can get 3rd line duties max. I wish people would calm down, he's 20 and learning the ropes in the NHL. Everyone will be screaming to trade him if he's 2nd line center and not putting up 20+ goals. And everyone complains that homer is impatient, the apples don't fall too far.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
After he met with Chirelli he apparently was willing to move to wing for them. I'm sure he'd feel that way for any team if it was a fit.

I wouldn't be opposed depending on the term. Can always move guys around and like someone else said he can play 3C down the road and ten Coots can be 2C. That depends in what we pay him cause you can't be paying a 3C 5 mil a year.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

Ok that's fair. But that doesn't mean go sign a 33 year old center. Keep Schenn at 2c and let him continue to grow.

If Vinny were willing to come here and play wing, I'd be ok with signing him. He could take Hartnell's spot on the top line or Read's spot if he is traded. But I don't see him willing to do that when he's got a lot of better options. Also Im sure he wants to go to a team that's close to winning the cup aka not us.

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
If it made fiscal sense to sign him for 6 x 6, i dont think TB would have amnestied him.

If he can play wing im in possibly, but not as C

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
After he met with Chirelli he apparently was willing to move to wing for them. I'm sure he'd feel that way for any team if it was a fit.

I wouldn't be opposed depending on the term. Can always move guys around and like someone else said he can play 3C down the road and ten Coots can be 2C. That depends in what we pay him cause you can't be paying a 3C 5 mil a year.

He's 54% at the faceoff dot. We would be handicapping ourselves if we signed him and moved him to the wing. Schenn would be more likely of the two to slide over.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia

If the additions for this summer are Vinny, Thomas and Streit, are we not realistically thrust back into "win now" mode? I believe that is where management wants to be at all times, smartly or not.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
If the additions for this summer are Vinny, Thomas and Streit, are we not realistically thrust back into "win now" mode? I believe that is where management wants to be at all times, smartly or not.

I think so, and if a few guys step up there isn't any reason to think we can't win now.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I don't know if its full out win now mode. I think it's more of a let's try to not get our teeth kicked in every night and try to be some what competitive mode.

We seem to be keeping our picks and young players as of late so it's not like we're selling the farm for players to win now. Signing veterans is never a bad thing for the young guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad