OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Red Dead Redemention 2 is probably the best game like that I’ve played since GTA IV. Doing the story again just because.

When’s the space version come out? They’ve done urban and western.....seems like an easy model to replicate.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Red Dead Redemention 2 is probably the best game like that I’ve played since GTA IV. Doing the story again just because.

It is freakin' incredible. I went in with high expectations because it was Rockstar, and it STILL blew me away. I think this is the most atmospheric game ever created -- you literally feel like an outlaw in the Wild West.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Not really a fan of the GTA franchise. It was okay, but never did it for me.

Red Dead Redemption might be my favorite console game ever, and the sequel is at least as good.

I'm finding it difficult to progress through the story, because i get sidetracked hunting for perfect pelts and legendary animals, or breaking wild horses, or robbing trains, or fishing, or getting into drunken bar fights, or any number of side activities you can do.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Darksiders 3 getting good but not great reviews on the net. A little dissapointed, from the previews I thought it looked pretty
amazing. I enjoyed the previous Darksiders games as well.

Sep 19, 2008
Caps getting involved in NHL 19 esports.

The Caps and the World of Esports

cut.png

Caps players Madison Bowey and Jakub Vrana joined the live broadcast after practice to play NHL19 while fielding questions from viewers watching.

The live stream gave Bowey and Vrana a new way to interact with fans and bond over their love of gaming, which doesn't stop at just the Capitals. Players from all around the NHL are big into the esports scene and often play video games together when they're on the road.

"Usually we'll get off the plane, grab a bite to eat somewhere and then we'll come back and its sticks from there - we'll get on the video games and usually play all night," said Bowey.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ok the only thing I asked for this Xmas other than college fund donations for my 9mo old daughter was RDR2 due to all the hype, and after 2 days of playing it I'm hoping it's more than guided missions with cowboys sitting around eating beans.

I've just gotten to a point where the open world should begin, I think, so expecting it to get a lot better from here.

Just be prepared for a loooong download and a slooooow build to the storyline via tutorial.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I just bought the Nathan Drake Collection (Uncharted 1-3) and Uncharted 4 on Amazon for $30 total. Still haven't played Red Dead 2 and I haven't come close to finishing Mafia III or GTA V. Maybe I should stop...

Also, just won the Division 1 title and the Premier Cup tournament on FIFA19. Anyone here play on PS4 that wants to jam?

Apr 6, 2004
I just bought the Nathan Drake Collection (Uncharted 1-3) and Uncharted 4 on Amazon for $30 total. Still haven't played Red Dead 2 and I haven't come close to finishing Mafia III or GTA V. Maybe I should stop...

Also, just won the Division 1 title and the Premier Cup tournament on FIFA19. Anyone here play on PS4 that wants to jam?

Just moved and am finally getting all the entertainment stuff setup. I will get FIFA19 soon and would be down to play, will let you know when that happens. Cheers!

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Playing Dark Souls Remastered on the Switch. So far it's pretty great, much better than DS2, probably on par with DS3.

Apr 6, 2004
Just got a GTX 1070ti, anyone wanna walk me the universe an install?! Lmao

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ok the only thing I asked for this Xmas other than college fund donations for my 9mo old daughter was RDR2 due to all the hype, and after 2 days of playing it I'm hoping it's more than guided missions with cowboys sitting around eating beans.

I've just gotten to a point where the open world should begin, I think, so expecting it to get a lot better from here.

Just be prepared for a loooong download and a slooooow build to the storyline via tutorial.

Ok it does get better as far as gameplay after a certain point, and after switching to 1st person (and changing controls to FPS instead of stock). But if you don't like riding around on a horse you're going to have a bad time. However, if you enjoy watching someone skin animals in graphic detail this is the game for you.

Still figuring out leveling, crafting, upgrades, etc. Not sure how to really see the benefits of anything that isn't already obvious (like item slots, which I'm still figuring out). Many of these systems are not explained well, if at all.

But the landscape is great and you can tell there will be side mission and story depth with a vast map.

Biggest complaint, other than all the sometimes annoying horse travel, is how slowly you move while in your main base camp. You'll see what I mean.

If you're in the mood to immerse yourself in old west culture then it seems pretty accurate.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

Do you play Seasons online or FUT?

I've been playing FIFA since SNES and I simply can never get into FUT. Everytime I dip my toes into FUT I find that the first game I play my guys are all scrubs and my opponent is basically fielding a hybrid of 90s Italy and Brazil. When these mismatches happen it really exposes the nuts and bolts of the game, his guys will connect on every slide, intercept every pass, land every shot, my guys can barely pull their jocks up without running head first into the post. In the end I lose like 2-1 to a guy who had Messi loft it to Ronaldo in the 88th minute, the most frustrating thing is it's clear it's not a skill thing but the players being better. I just can't buy into grinding it out or paying for better players.

Now seasons? I enjoy that. True skill v. skill.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Do you play Seasons online or FUT?

I've been playing FIFA since SNES and I simply can never get into FUT. Everytime I dip my toes into FUT I find that the first game I play my guys are all scrubs and my opponent is basically fielding a hybrid of 90s Italy and Brazil. When these mismatches happen it really exposes the nuts and bolts of the game, his guys will connect on every slide, intercept every pass, land every shot, my guys can barely pull their jocks up without running head first into the post. In the end I lose like 2-1 to a guy who had Messi loft it to Ronaldo in the 88th minute, the most frustrating thing is it's clear it's not a skill thing but the players being better. I just can't buy into grinding it out or paying for better players.

Now seasons? I enjoy that. True skill v. skill.

Seasons only. Like you I don't have the time or patience for FUT.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm about 10% through RDR2 and I have to be honest, I'm not loving it. The map is so spread out and traveling by horse is so slow that I feel like I spent 80% of the game just roaming around looking for stuff to do or missions to complete. It takes so long to do anything that if I fail a mission I don't even want to redo it. GTA is still Rockstar's gold standard for me.

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
I'm about 10% through RDR2 and I have to be honest, I'm not loving it. The map is so spread out and traveling by horse is so slow that I feel like I spent 80% of the game just roaming around looking for stuff to do or missions to complete. It takes so long to do anything that if I fail a mission I don't even want to redo it. GTA is still Rockstar's gold standard for me.
I was actually more impressed with the first RDR game when I played it back in 2010 than RDR2. The second one definitely have amazing graphics though.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I was actually more impressed with the first RDR game when I played it back in 2010 than RDR2. The second one definitely have amazing graphics though.

The graphics are indeed amazing and the scenery in the game is beautiful but man it's just so slow. If I'm looking to play for 30-45 minutes after the kids are asleep and the wife is working on her business I want to be able to jump in and play but with RDR2 I feel like I can spend those 30-45 minutes just wandering aimlessly or riding a horse around trying to complete one mission. I'll likely give it another couple of hours before I punt it completely but I'm not getting the hype yet.

I did buy Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (U1-3) and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End on Amazon for $25 total over the holidays. U1 and U2 are two of my favorites and I've heard that 3 and 4 are fantastic so if RDR doesn't keep my interest I'll be playing through the last two Uncharteds soon.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The graphics are indeed amazing and the scenery in the game is beautiful but man it's just so slow. If I'm looking to play for 30-45 minutes after the kids are asleep and the wife is working on her business I want to be able to jump in and play but with RDR2 I feel like I can spend those 30-45 minutes just wandering aimlessly or riding a horse around trying to complete one mission. I'll likely give it another couple of hours before I punt it completely but I'm not getting the hype yet.

I did buy Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (U1-3) and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End on Amazon for $25 total over the holidays. U1 and U2 are two of my favorites and I've heard that 3 and 4 are fantastic so if RDR doesn't keep my interest I'll be playing through the last two Uncharteds soon.

I'm in basically the same boat. I have to steal time to play and the game is very much about simulation and atmospherics, so it's slow paced and spread out. One or two tasks can take up the entire window you've set aside.

Do I really need to squat and cook meat to refuel my health? Brush horses every time they get dirty in town? Why am I only able to move in slow motion in my own f***ing camp? The crafting is confusing, nothing has carry weight so the capacity and inventory system is unclear, I'm not sure how the leveling works, any kind of ambush is certain death, and you're never sure if you're supposed to help or mug someone. I haven't even really used Dead Eye effectively yet, so maybe that's a thing that flips it.

It seems like they're going for a Fallout/Skyrim kind of experience, but Old West. It's tedious as far as gameplay, but they've created an awesome landscape. I will probably keep going until something completely knocks me off it.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Well put, @g00n. Exactly right. It feels like you spend so much time doing a bunch of other shit like cooking meals or making medicine that you’re drained/bored/out of time by the time you get around to the actual gameplay.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well put, @g00n. Exactly right. It feels like you spend so much time doing a bunch of other **** like cooking meals or making medicine that you’re drained/bored/out of time by the time you get around to the actual gameplay.

I don't know if you've gotten this far yet but there's a way to activate a kind of "fast travel". It's sort of limited, though. It's only from your camp to certain towns you've visited, and it costs a few cents every time. Enabled via housing upgrades.

Also, the bounty system is a pain, especially with main missions intentionally saddling you with bounties at times.

I don't think any of this is spoilery, fwiw.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You guys are steering me away...

Well I keep playing it. It does have challenging aspects and you can explore and treasure hunt and collect and so forth. From what I can tell you can't just overpower missions with firepower or pet tactics like a lot of FPS games. But the pace is often slow and as was said HORSES HORSES HORSES.

I'm also playing on the "good guy" trajectory in that I don't just go around trying to rob people. I imagine if someone wanted to just hold up stagecoaches and strangers all the time it could be non-stop action and running from posses.

Oh and if you have a problem watching cute animals being skinned, over and over, best avoid it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You guys are steering me away...

I don't recommend it if you don't have a significant chunk of time to dedicate to it. Part of the reason I love FIFA is because when I can find 30 minutes in the day I can sit down play two full games online. Easy and done with. RDR2 definitely requires large blocks of time to really get a feel for the game. If I wasn't a dad and I could just lounge around the house on Saturdays and Sundays or for a few hours after work I'm sure I'd feel differently about the game.

Reactions: g00n
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad