OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Seasons is what I meant by "singles matches." Seasons is when you play online and can get promoted or relegated, right? And you're playing with established teams - not creating your own?

Yeah, right, that's good game mode. Without EA being greedy.

I can tell you the story about Ultimate Team mode (FUT). Happened with me just today. I guess Goon will listen too :P

This last week I tried to gain maximum points in FUT Squad Battles. Played about 25 games throughout the week (played almost every day - 4 games so about 1-1,5 hours a day).
Won most games on third highest difficulty, got into Elite 3 rank (top 10% of players) with 31 thousands points or so.
I got 12000 cash and 3 packs. From packs I got Rakitic, TOTW Vecino (about 55k for both) and 20-30 little to no value players although they would add up to 10k or so. So that's roughly 70-75k.

I've bought Cuadrado for 9k. And then I realized I don't need any more players right now and decided to test EA's lootbox system.

So I went and bought special promo pack. For 50k. It was available only until tomorrow or so, there was only 7 of those available... blablabla, limited edition promo pack, the most expensive I could bought.

12 players. Best one was 83-rated Banega which will be traded for 1100 or so.

This is a total disaster. I mean, I'm not even mad, this was the first pack I bought this year and the last of course.

So beware. EA is greedy. Don't spend real money on FIFA. Playing some games will give you coins in FUT anyway. Just play and enjoy.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The player packs in FIFA are trash, especially compared to Madden. It sucks because I really like opening packs and rolling the dice, but it never pays off. You can spend like Raik says and end up with a bust pack.

Buying players on the enormous transfer wire is much more efficient, but even that process is cumbersome and frantic.

I don't play online so I can't take advantage of the opportunities to gain coins there. I have to chip away at the little challenges and single player league stuff which means I get 400-600 coins at a time. Lame.

There's also a big difference in the difficulty levels. I'm pretty comfortable at the professional level but when league play sneaks in a semi-pro game (and I don't notice before starting) it's not fun because I end up winning 7-0. Then when it's on world-class difficulty there's almost no time or space. I can compete but it requires constant attention since a single tiny mistake can quickly lead to a goal against (especially at the end of the game when the AI is "cheating").

While we're whining here are some general gripes:

• Why can't we search the transfer list by rating and more than one or two categories like country/league? It's not 1995. Advanced search engines are pretty common. If I want to search for an 85+ ranked left-footed Striker from Trinidad who plays in Italy and has a mustache, I should be able to do that.
  • Why does every little thing have to have its own menu? I should not have to flip around 6 different screens just to make a single roster move or deal with a consumable.
  • Is anyone really capable of completing more than a few of the squad building challenges (which require you to assemble squads based on certain player criteria, after which you lose all those players while receiving one of the aforementioned TRASH packs)? What is this mode good for?
  • Why do we have to bid on consumables? The profit margin is probably low so nobody is making any coins off of those things, so may as well just standardize purchase and stop trickling them out in packs. I don't want to have to scour the market and race some kid in New Guinea to buy contracts to apply to every player. Can I just buy a bundle of 20 freakin contracts at a store, please? At least the squad fitness item is useful, and the chemistry boosters are interesting.

Overall I really like the game but the FUT offline experience could be a lot better. I may abandon it and just play some kind of career or franchise mode.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I have around 275k in coins from accumulating coins in online leagues and tournaments over the past few years. I only buy alternate uniforms, an extra celebration every now and then, or an additional Seasons match if I'm trying to get promoted or win the title. Maybe I'll check out the FUT market.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I have around 275k in coins from accumulating coins in online leagues and tournaments over the past few years. I only buy alternate uniforms, an extra celebration every now and then, or an additional Seasons match if I'm trying to get promoted or win the title. Maybe I'll check out the FUT market.

Those 275k are your FCC (sp?) probably? Bronze colored in the top right corner? Those are different. You can spend them on bonuses but not on players in FUT. Economics in FUT is the whole new world. An addictive one and time consuming too.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's hard to tell with EA whether or not they've done the research/modeling and determined that X method results in more cash spending, or if they're just too lazy/afraid to rock the boat.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Those 275k are your FCC (sp?) probably? Bronze colored in the top right corner? Those are different. You can spend them on bonuses but not on players in FUT. Economics in FUT is the whole new world. An addictive one and time consuming too.

Ah, got it. Yeah, I don't have time to figure out economics in FUT so I guess I'll just continue to play Seasons.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
All EA games have AI that cheats. I think some programmers have talked about sabotaging certain scenarios in some sports video games (an NBA game comes to mind).

As I improve at FIFA I'm starting to see the cheat points. I can see guys muffing plays and flat out passing/shooting in ways that have nothing to do with reality. Maybe it's lowered ratings as players fatigue but I would expect the AI to drop off, too. Instead the AI gets better and better, often picking up a cheap goal off an unlikely interception or undeserved corner in the last few minutes.

Raik warned me about this. I should have listened. LOL

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Try Rivals. You have nothing to lose.

Or seasons with DC United :)

Just go online. AI is there too obviously but it will feel much different.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think I've taken FUT as far as I can offline. 83 team with 100 chem and no good way to build up huge amounts of coins (done all the SBCs that make sense etc). Over 85 or 86 player rating the price goes up exponentially (like from 20K to 100K).

I don't have an online account and probably won't get one so those modes are out. I may play a season with Arsenal soon, or maybe do a tournament.

I've said this before but finding it very annoying that FUT requires fitness and contracts to continue play, but those have to be won through bids. When I go to buy a team fitness consumable I have to quickly scroll through 8 or 9 pages at least and immediately "buy it now" to MAYBE win an auction. Most of the time someone else still buys it first.

This is unbelievably tedious and I don't know how people put up with it year after year. I hope they just put crap like that in the store. And fix the transfer search to include ratings, ffs.

On another note, I've heard good things here and elsewhere about the first RDR so will be making that my only holiday gift request. Wondering what game it compares to most....maybe wild west Fallout?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
In terms of gameplay RDR compares most to GTA. Same developer, same engine, same sequencing of gameplay and cut scenes. I bought but haven't played the second one yet but the first was terrific. GTA, RDR, and The Last of Us are my favorite non-sports games.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I've said this before but finding it very annoying that FUT requires fitness and contracts to continue play, but those have to be won through bids. When I go to buy a team fitness consumable I have to quickly scroll through 8 or 9 pages at least and immediately "buy it now" to MAYBE win an auction. Most of the time someone else still buys it first.

This is unbelievably tedious and I don't know how people put up with it year after year. I hope they just put crap like that in the store. And fix the transfer search to include ratings, ffs.

The secret is simple. You have to have at least 2 sets of players and play one after another. You will have 99 fitness for every game :P Your subst capacity is 12 players which is 10 to rest and 2 to use as subs in game. Perfectly fine for all purposes. No fitness cards required. BOOOOM!

PS: Got about 400k currently. Sold most of expensive cards. After Xmass there will be market crash and I will buy some nice cards. Until then will play with some cheap guys like Lacazette.

PPS: FIFA SUCKS! Dont play it altogether.

Reactions: g00n

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Fallout 76 getting ripped by the critics -- 5 on IGN and 4 on Gamespot. This might be Bethesda's first legitimate disaster
(I mean they've made games the fans didn't like but they always scored reasonably well with the critics).

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Fallout 76 getting ripped by the critics -- 5 on IGN and 4 on Gamespot. This might be Bethesda's first legitimate disaster
(I mean they've made games the fans didn't like but they always scored reasonably well with the critics).
I watched the Jimquisition review, he said “They say it’s more fun with friends, you know what else is more fun with friends? Getting your arsehole sewn shut, it doesn’t make it a pleasant f***ing experience.”

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
The lack of a real story mode makes it get boring pretty quick. It’s always survival mode so you can’t pause or anything. It’s not more fun with friends but more like they made the game so you need friends lol.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Red Dead Redemention 2 is probably the best game like that I’ve played since GTA IV. Doing the story again just because.

Reactions: sycamore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad