OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Tempting. When I saw Origins was going to be in Egypt I was pretty excited due to the scenery and the pantheon. Do the side quests matter for **** in either one? Gear? I love side quests and good leveling in both powers and gear. Limited weapons/skills and boring "collector" quests turn a game into work.

Side quests are one of the key differences. The side quests in Oddessy are MUCH better -- vastly more interesting, with lots of stages. Side quests in Origins are grind quests, put there solely so you can level. That's really one of the key difference between the games, and where Oddessy wins without question.

Skills are pretty cool in both games. I would give the nod to Oddessy here too, because just about all the skills in that game are completely new and original, and some of them (like the "Stealth Master: I mentioned) are wicked cool. And one superb feature of Oddessy is you can reset your skills at any time, any place, for FREE, with no penalties! Pretty damn awesome.

Gear, roughly the same, with a slight edge to Oddessy. One thing about Oddessy is you can start figuring out where you can acquire legendary and epic gear (eg. which mercenaries to confront, what Sparta v Athens battles to engage in, etc). Origins, its much more random.

Oddessy wins in many more departments -- the scenery is absolutely gorgeous, with a lot more variety too, reflecting Greece's many beaches, forests and snow capped mountains. Origins -- well let's hope you like sand, cuz thats all you're going to get. The cutscenes in Origins are the low point of the game -- they look terrible and shoddy. The cutscenes in Oddessy OTOH are very well done.

My only gripe with Oddessy is the loadtimes -- think, Skyrim long. Other than that, given a choice between the two, I'd go with Oddessy in a heartbeat.

Reactions: g00n

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Yesterday it took me 2 hours to beat the Nemean Lion (AC Odyssey). Yep, the same lion from the labors of Hercules.
It defeated me more times than the Pens have beat the Caps in the playoffs, but I finally came up with a killer skill combination
and took the b*stard down.

The skill tree in the game is very well thought out: 1) you can reset your skills at any time, as many times as you like, for a tiny amount of gold (100-200gp), 2) once you unlock advanced skills, you can spend all your skill points in them, and ditch all the basic skills you started out with. Well conceived by Ubisoft.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Totally addicted to FIFA now. All hope is lost.

Been playing FUT and it took a while to get the hang of it because Madden MUT is totally different. It's similar to what I recall from NHLs HUT with the contracts and such. That part is a bit tedious. Plus you have to monitor player health and fitness? Too many consumables to worry about. This mode should be more of a fantasy lineup experience and less of a micromanagement exercise. It becomes more manageable after a while, once you figure out the menu system (which sucks in Madden, too).

Coins are much harder to come by in FUT than MUT and I get the sense they're really trying to steer you toward spending cash on points. I like opening packs and you don't get to do that very often, it seems. I looked at the transfer market and there were millions of players being traded, but only maybe 50-75 versions of CR7 so the prices were in the millions of coins for him. Amazing.

But the gameplay and presentation is what stands out most. It feels like you're watching a match on TV and the commentary is good. Figuring out how to play defense and using "contain" is a gamechanger. Went from "what am I doing" amateur level to beating clubs in FUT at professional level (granted, my team ranking has been higher). Still don't know any useful skill move LOL

There are bugs, though. One night I couldn't apply consumables to anyone. Another time the game went blank and returned an error the moment my ball crossed the goal line during a one-off squad challenge, and when I rebooted it had given me a 3-0 loss in a game I couldn't replay, and a 1-0 loss in the next one!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
My biggest beef with FIFA so far is the transfer negotiation stuff....tedious storybook scenes....I FFWD through but I wish you could disable it.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Any more attention paid by the devs to Career Mode? That's my thing, and it's usually only incrementally changed year on year. No point in buying the game before it gets to EA Access to me without significant improvement there.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I play some casual facebook game now, and Im on a special quest today

upload_2018-10-18_20-31-6.png

#freeWilly

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
what level do you play on? what team?

I'm playing FUT so it's custom, around 80 overall. Was playing on World Class and Professional against the TOTW and couldn't even get any good scoring chances. Puzzling because I beat a TOTW last week. Just stale offense.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
In a FIFA slump. Feels bad.
Btw, market crashed a bit. You can buy cheap attackers with speed and finishing/dribbling. Everybody's f***ing dangerous now.

See Rodrigo, Werner and the likes.

Im trying to make 2 forwards schrmes working right now because 1 isnt getting me any goals atm

My lonely forward was playing dumb game. Its all EA's fault

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Btw, market crashed a bit. You can buy cheap attackers with speed and finishing/dribbling. Everybody's ****ing dangerous now.

See Rodrigo, Werner and the likes.

Im trying to make 2 forwards schrmes working right now because 1 isnt getting me any goals atm

My lonely forward was playing dumb game. Its all EA's fault

I was having success with a 4-3-3 and high chemistry for a while. Broke the slump with a 7 goal outburst (thank you, Angel) but then leveled back off to reasonable scores. The problem in FUT is the chemistry is so specific to position that any change to formation totally f***s up the chemistry, and you have to find guys to fill those spots with limited coins just to experiment.

If someone can assure me chemistry doesn't matter that much it will free things up incredibly.

I'm playing at either professional or world-class level in some of these challenges so even teams with ratings in the 60s can sneak up on you. The backs are all just as fast as the forwards and you lose time and space quickly so hard to get separation.

I can't save enough coins to do more than buy a gold pack or bid on some low 80s guys. Not sure how anyone collects hundreds of thousands of coins without spending more real money or something.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Go to rivals. It will give you coins if you play some games. Weekly.

Playing against CPU is teaching you bad habits.

Just dont mind your rank. Play and you will receive. Also, some coins are available from R3 button in the main screen. You can unlock those and get thousands.

Ps: I have 100k after 60-70 games this year. 2 rosters of low80 players. Few costed 10-20k. No real money spent.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Look up the market around midnight. When EU players are sleeping. Place some bets on good cards with low starting price. Nobodys betting at night at some cards.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Maybe I'm doing FIFA wrong? I just play online in single matches and in tournaments. Finally crumbled and bought 2019 this week - figured winning the Division 1 league one last time was a fitting way to end my 2018 career.

I don't have the time for RDD2 but man it's tempting...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe I'm doing FIFA wrong? I just play online in single matches and in tournaments. Finally crumbled and bought 2019 this week - figured winning the Division 1 league one last time was a fitting way to end my 2018 career.

I don't have the time for RDD2 but man it's tempting...

I dunno, I've always just played as manager of my team...usually Chelsea....have played some seasons with Barcelona too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad