OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I played them in order, so I could get how someone wouldn't enjoy 1 as much as the others if it wasn't how they were introduced to the franchise. Being dropped into such a well-done cinematic game was a game changer at the time.

3 is easily the worst, IMO, though. I can accept jumbling around 1, 2, and 4 in rankings to an extent (although most agree 2 is the best), but I don't see much in 3 that makes it worth ranking above the rest.

As someone who rarely touches his PS4, I'm okay with franchises that wrap up in a timely fashion. Bad or unnecessary sequels irk me. Among Naughty Dog games, I enjoyed The Last of Us even more than any Uncharted, and even that I don't really want TLOU2 to be a thing (because the original was such a well done package that I don't feel it needed a sequel).

I think 2 is clearly a step above the rest. 1 was kind of plain for me and there wasn't really any locations that I can remember (it all took place on a island right?), 3 was just a step down from 2 and didn't really improve anything and 4 went way too far with the swinging which way very simple and not very hard.

I enjoy a good sequel or prequel especially when there aren't really any games like Uncharted, except Tomb Raider which I haven't enjoyed nearly as much.

If Mario, Zelda, GTA, etc. can keep going and changing for 30+ years I don't see why other games can't change... Even 4 and Lost Legacy changed up the Uncharted formula a bit and became less linear and more open.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think 2 is clearly a step above the rest. 1 was kind of plain for me and there wasn't really any locations that I can remember (it all took place on a island right?), 3 was just a step down from 2 and didn't really improve anything and 4 went way too far with the swinging which way very simple and not very hard.

1 took place on a couple different islands and in the Amazon. While there's definitely less environmental variety than subsequent games in the franchise, it really set up the Indiana Jones feelings and had awesome set pieces like the U-Boat.

[youtube=[MEDIA=youtube]1G7zUFM5CCc[/MEDIA]]

I enjoy a good sequel or prequel especially when there aren't really any games like Uncharted, except Tomb Raider which I haven't enjoyed nearly as much.

If Mario, Zelda, GTA, etc. can keep going and changing for 30+ years I don't see why other games can't change... Even 4 and Lost Legacy changed up the Uncharted formula a bit and became less linear and more open.

Ehh, games like Mario/Zelda/Sonic/etc are much more fantasy-oriented, with each game not really being a true sequel of one another. While they use familiar characters and gameplay mechanics (and even those change with technology), they are really just a collection of stand-alone games based on familiar characters/settings. Uncharted is much more movie-like, in that it's ostensibly based in the real world with humans serving as the characters. I guess they could go the GTA route and completely separate each game, but I've also never been a big GTA player.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think Uncharted 2 and 4 are close. 2 was definitely more of an action game while 4 told a better story and was easily the most polished game of the series, so depending on my mood I can see either one as the best entry in the franchise.

I agree 3 is the worst (but is still a very good game) and while I like 1 quite a bit, the gameplay and scenery is much less polished than later entries in the series and the enemies act like bullet sponges a little too much for my liking.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
1 took place on a couple different islands and in the Amazon. While there's definitely less environmental variety than subsequent games in the franchise, it really set up the Indiana Jones feelings and had awesome set pieces like the U-Boat.

[youtube=[MEDIA=youtube]1G7zUFM5CCc[/MEDIA]]

Ehh, games like Mario/Zelda/Sonic/etc are much more fantasy-oriented, with each game not really being a true sequel of one another. While they use familiar characters and gameplay mechanics (and even those change with technology), they are really just a collection of stand-alone games based on familiar characters/settings. Uncharted is much more movie-like, in that it's ostensibly based in the real world with humans serving as the characters. I guess they could go the GTA route and completely separate each game, but I've also never been a big GTA player.

Maybe I should replay Uncharted 1, its the only one I haven't replayed other than Lost Legacy.

You should try out Uncharted Lost Legacy... it's not a big sequel with new gameplay elements or anything as its just a spinoff to Uncharted 4. But I think it shows that you can do several things with the franchise besides just following Drake's sequel after sequel story line.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Oh man, I loved it. I was bummed when it was over.

Well part of it is I'm philosophically allergic to undead, robotic, and generic alien horde tropes. Just a cheap way to remove moral tangles from games or movies about killing enemies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Well part of it is I'm philosophically allergic to undead, robotic, and generic alien horde tropes. Just a cheap way to remove moral tangles from games or movies about killing enemies.

Interesting perspective - I don't think I've ever thought of it in that light. I normally dislike the genre around undead, robotic, or generic alien horde tropes because I've never been much of a Sci-Fi guy and I think a lot of the storylines are bored and repetitive but I couldn't stop playing TLOU.

I've mentioned it here before but if anyone is looking for a game to pick up and play with a beautiful storyline you have to try Valiant Hearts: The Great War. It's incredible

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There is also a thing, an urban legend or religion, if you like. HANDICAP. The more the difference between team ratings the better lower skilled squad performs and dumber better rated squad looks.

So playing 62 against 90 is not that impossible. Other than handicap no theory explains this.

But EA denies handicap every time. I guess it's true then.

EDIT: Means your million coins 90 rated TOTW forward will miss easy shots from the box against some silver noname goalie... Actually, will not control the ball long before missing and lose it for no reason whatever buttons you will press or not.

EDIT2: **** it, will uninstall ASAP. May or June.

Handicapping teams that far apart to play similarly would be very noticeable, imo. But I have long believed EA has always worked "cheating" into their games to make them more competitive.

Before I started playing FIFA I would see it all the time in Madden during the 4th quarter with easy interceptions that would pass through DBs hands, RBs suddenly becoming unstoppable even vs goal line defenses with run stop playcalls, WRs getting behind deep coverage, tacklers suddenly having zero ability to do anything, etc....always at a time when the computer opponent needed a boost to tie or win the game.

In FIFA the announcers sometimes let you know it's coming with comments about a "final twist" or some other crap. But I really know "the cheat is on", usually in the last 15min, when:

-I'm hitting several posts
-one of my key players suddenly gets injured
-AI marking appears to go to 100% and the "full court press" makes it nearly impossible to receive a pass before being tackled
-short passes go long and long passes go short, conveniently directly to an opponent
-they pass or shoot without me even hitting a button, conveniently directly to an opponent
-passes are sometimes off by 90 degrees, conveniently directly to an opponent

It would not be hard to work this into the game code regardless of rankings or sliders.

Ironically enough the best way I've found to combat this mode is to go ultra attacking and just press hard for another goal. Or else pass along the back 3 and rag it out until the whistle.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Trying not to spoil anything here, but the last 1/3 of The Last of Us is a lot different from the rest, in a way that you would appreciate, based on the post I'm quoting.

Even if you never play it, consider reading a plot summary or watching a let's play. You might be surprised at where the story goes.

Reactions: Hivemind

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Trying not to spoil anything here, but the last 1/3 of The Last of Us is a lot different from the rest, in a way that you would appreciate, based on the post I'm quoting.

Even if you never play it, consider reading a plot summary or watching a let's play. You might be surprised at where the story goes.

If I don't watch Walking Dead will I care?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
In going for the rare post trifecta, who's playing Apex Legends? I haven't been huge on Battle Royales, but this one is starting to get under my skin in a way that others have not. I'm terrible at it, but still mostly enjoy myself. All that time on Overwatch has really degraded my scope-based FPS skills (also Overwatch was the first shooter I played primarily on PC, so I haven't really done much scope-based FPS on PC to this point).

I'm also playing Battlefleet Gothic II. Fun for 40K fans, but I doubt it would have much outside appeal. Similar in style to Total War, but not nearly as much depth.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
In going for the rare post trifecta, who's playing Apex Legends?

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm between games so I might.

How long is the downtime between games? That's what always bothered me about Fortnite, way too much time waiting for a game to start.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't know, but it's nothing like TWD. It IS all about moral tangles.

Well to be fair, most RPGs and similar genres are these days. The Mass Effect series, which had plenty of that due to choice wheels, is probably one exception to the aliens and robot hordes trope, fwiw.

I'm just not a fan of any zombie apocalypse or bodysnatchers setting and that's what I saw. I assume it got more developed as it went along but I don't see how it could change from that entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->