OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The Dark Souls games are legendary for a reason. Particularly 1 (which doesn't look/play great by today's standards, but is still an excellent game) and 3, which is more refined. 2 is considered the weak link, but it's still a good game. But all of the games (as well as the series' offshoots, like Bloodborne and Sekiro) are an acquired taste

You know how, in old NES games, you'd have to keep fighting the same bosses over and over again, trying to figure out their patterns and such? It's like that, but to the extreme. Like, super, super punishing. The good side is that the game really pushes you to customize your loadouts and tactics for specific battles, which IMO is a deeper gameplay experience than button-mashing your way to victory. (And, if/when you do eventually beat a boss, it feels like a major accomplishment. It's super satisfying!) The bad side is that it's easy to lose a lot of progress and get frustrated. If you'd rather beat bosses on your first couple of tries, relying on your reactions and a little luck, they're not the games for you. (Also, I'm definitely NOT a fan of the "hardcore gamer" mentality the Dark Souls games, and Souls-like games, have helped foster in the gaming community--where hardcore gamers who beat games like Dark Souls are "real gamers" and everyone else is just a "casual gamer." It's some real chest-puffing, ego-stroking bullshit that people who take games waaaay too seriously define themselves by.)

IMO, one of the most overlooked elements of the games is the lore. Particularly in the first game. It doesn't tell a straightforward story so much as it does litter the game world with little bits of info here and there that, when put together, tell the story of the game world, its rise and fall, and the player's role in it. You can find a bunch of super extended/deep examinations of the games' lore on YouTube. But... if you're not that big a fan of lore, or don't feel like going out of your way to look for it, you'll be missing out on one of the best things the game has to offer.

Hope this has been helpful! I'd say start with DS1 remaster to get the original experience. Or get DS3, if you'd like the most refined experience at a sale price.
It's really hard.

Thanks!! I think I'll start with the first one then and see how it goes. I never really played one of these Soulsborne games until recently when I tried Sekiro and loved it. And then I tried Bloodborne and loved it, especially the creepy Cthulu lore. Although Dark Souls is older and probably clunkier? I thought I would give them a try. I just didn't know if it was ok to start off with one of the later ones or not.

It's really hard.

Haha yeah! I got my ass kicked so much, but when you finally beat a part. It's like the greatest rush in the world!!

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
(Also, I'm definitely NOT a fan of the "hardcore gamer" mentality the Dark Souls games, and Souls-like games, have helped foster in the gaming community--where hardcore gamers who beat games like Dark Souls are "real gamers" and everyone else is just a "casual gamer." It's some real chest-puffing, ego-stroking bullshit that people who take games waaaay too seriously define themselves by.)

Yeah hardcore gamers suck! In Bloodborne, I tuned people out and didn't interact with the community. Soon as I got invaded or whatever you call it, disconnect with a quickness! I did read a lot of their ideas and strategies though.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
DS1 is great but obtuse. Read up on how to min max your character and equipment.

And if you want to be OP in the late stages, play as a sorcerer. I've finished BB, DS1 and DS3, and played a bit of DS2. The only time I felt really powerful was the last 1/3 of DS1 with my sorcerer. I beat several bosses on my first attempt.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
DS1 is great but obtuse. Read up on how to min max your character and equipment.

And if you want to be OP in the late stages, play as a sorcerer. I've finished BB, DS1 and DS3, and played a bit of DS2. The only time I felt really powerful was the last 1/3 of DS1 with my sorcerer. I beat several bosses on my first attempt.

Maybe I'll start one after the Caps game. If if I'm not too excited after the victory that is.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
What's the consensus here between PS5 and Series X?
I want to know download speed.

let’s be honest - both systems are super familiar. A couple power differences - but it’ll be about the same again.

however, games keep getting bigger and bigger.... so if one system can dl a lot faster than the other - that’ll be my preference

not to sound snobby - but I’ll probably get both systems

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Ghost of Tsushima is a better version of RDR2 and with samurai. Highly recommend it so far for those with a PS4.

Hmmm should I get Ghost of Tsushima instead of Dark Souls? Contemplating now.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Ghost of Tsushima is a better version of RDR2 and with samurai. Highly recommend it so far for those with a PS4.
I bought it about an hour ago after deciding I needed something new to look forward to since the Caps aren't getting it done. :(

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.

Dark Souls is easily one of my favorite franchises. They are challenging but the sense of accomplishment you get as you make progress is amazing.

Recently started Ghost of Tsushima, it hooked me right away. Art style / atmosphere is some of the coolest I've seen. Combat is a lot of fun.

Can't go wrong with either. Or get both.

Reactions: tenken00

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I like Tsushima a lot so far, but it doesn't run well on my launch PS4. I'm not usually a videophile, but the frame rate chugs pretty regularly.

TLOU2 ran much better, but that's not open world, and I think ND had a lot more resources.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010

I still haven't decided. I was going to get one and play over the weekend but yea... then the Caps drama unfolded lol.

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
I like Tsushima a lot so far, but it doesn't run well on my launch PS4. I'm not usually a videophile, but the frame rate chugs pretty regularly.

TLOU2 ran much better, but that's not open world, and I think ND had a lot more resources.

I have a Pro luckily. My brother plays it on a launch PS4 and says the same thing as you do.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
The Dark Souls games are legendary for a reason. Particularly 1 (which doesn't look/play great by today's standards, but is still an excellent game) and 3, which is more refined. 2 is considered the weak link, but it's still a good game. But all of the games (as well as the series' offshoots, like Bloodborne and Sekiro) are an acquired taste

You know how, in old NES games, you'd have to keep fighting the same bosses over and over again, trying to figure out their patterns and such? It's like that, but to the extreme. Like, super, super punishing. The good side is that the game really pushes you to customize your loadouts and tactics for specific battles, which IMO is a deeper gameplay experience than button-mashing your way to victory. (And, if/when you do eventually beat a boss, it feels like a major accomplishment. It's super satisfying!) The bad side is that it's easy to lose a lot of progress and get frustrated. If you'd rather beat bosses on your first couple of tries, relying on your reactions and a little luck, they're not the games for you. (Also, I'm definitely NOT a fan of the "hardcore gamer" mentality the Dark Souls games, and Souls-like games, have helped foster in the gaming community--where hardcore gamers who beat games like Dark Souls are "real gamers" and everyone else is just a "casual gamer." It's some real chest-puffing, ego-stroking bullshit that people who take games waaaay too seriously define themselves by.)

IMO, one of the most overlooked elements of the games is the lore. Particularly in the first game. It doesn't tell a straightforward story so much as it does litter the game world with little bits of info here and there that, when put together, tell the story of the game world, its rise and fall, and the player's role in it. You can find a bunch of super extended/deep examinations of the games' lore on YouTube. But... if you're not that big a fan of lore, or don't feel like going out of your way to look for it, you'll be missing out on one of the best things the game has to offer.

Hope this has been helpful! I'd say start with DS1 remaster to get the original experience. Or get DS3, if you'd like the most refined experience at a sale price.

Dark Souls is easily one of my favorite franchises. They are challenging but the sense of accomplishment you get as you make progress is amazing.

Recently started Ghost of Tsushima, it hooked me right away. Art style / atmosphere is some of the coolest I've seen. Combat is a lot of fun.

Can't go wrong with either. Or get both.

f*** Blighttown

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I bought Tony Hawk last night and spent 30 minutes in the tutorial--and I immediately experienced that feeling I had 20 years ago in college, when I was button mashing my way through countless bails and not understanding what the hell was going on or how anything worked, and then pretty much spent all my playing time skating into walls, occasionally performing a successful kick flip, and skating up and down ramps without doing any tricks.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
PGA 2k21 is pretty awesome.
Don’t like for career mode you have to have an internet connection (for when power goes out or when tracking) - but it’s customizable to be as challenging/fun/etc you want. Can edit amount of rounds - how good the competitors are - how difficult greens/weather/etc are. It’s very impressive

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
PGA 2k21 is pretty awesome.
Don’t like for career mode you have to have an internet connection (for when power goes out or when tracking) - but it’s customizable to be as challenging/fun/etc you want. Can edit amount of rounds - how good the competitors are - how difficult greens/weather/etc are. It’s very impressive

How's it compare to the old Tiger Woods games? I know the technology is much more improved now than it used to be but I loved those games and definitely miss having a golf game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad