OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Damn... So I just beat The Last of Us Part II last night and its still going through my head right now..

I get the anger about it.. I was really mad while playing too.. especially at the change at the halfway point.. I was thinking to myself, "why the hell would you do this??" I actually didn't know if I wanted to continue.

But I also felt every single emotion as well as anger.. so I pushed through it. Marathon sessions within 3 days.

And by the time the end credits started rolling late last night.. I don't know if I would change a thing about the game.. Not a single thing. Just sat there blown away at the whole overall thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devil Dancer

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Played the "Outer Worlds" on the PS4. Not a terrible experience, but not a great one either. I liked the story, the graphics and the soundtrack. I thought the combat was boring, the skill/perk system uninspired, and the companion system just got in the way. The "stealth game" was non-existent, and the loadtimes were insufferable.

Give it a 5.5 out of 10. A game you play once, have fun with, and then never play again.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Damn... So I just beat The Last of Us Part II last night and its still going through my head right now..

I get the anger about it.. I was really mad while playing too.. especially at the change at the halfway point.. I was thinking to myself, "why the hell would you do this??" I actually didn't know if I wanted to continue.

But I also felt every single emotion as well as anger.. so I pushed through it. Marathon sessions within 3 days.

And by the time the end credits started rolling late last night.. I don't know if I would change a thing about the game.. Not a single thing. Just sat there blown away at the whole overall thing.

How TLOU 2 compare to the first one?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
How TLOU 2 compare to the first one?

I loved it just like the first one. There were some parts where I actually hated it story-wise, but you gotta keep going. At the end I was amazed by it and now I understand why they moved so boldly. The anger, I realize just showed me all the pain that I felt as Joel and Ellie, and why it's such a hugely driving motivation towards the whole story. As well as their sadness.

It's not your standard revenge story, that's been done over and over too many times. It's like the first TLOU, it ends you with so much mixed feelings inside. But you are still blown away.

The environment is wow. This might be the most beautiful game on the Playstation that I've ever seen.

The gameplay is fun. I think it has much better controls than the first one, but the AI still isn't that great. It's still pretty dumb, although I only played on normal. And while some of the scavenging can get tedious at times, it never dragged. Still had a LOT of fun wrecking through every thing with Ellie. Honestly though, TLOU was never about the game play.

Last edited:

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
First time in a while I skipped out on a Steam Sale. Too many games in the backlog. That and the games that I'm really interested aren't out yet.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
First time in a while I skipped out on a Steam Sale. Too many games in the backlog. That and the games that I'm really interested aren't out yet.

Similar. Everything I'm interested has-

Note: to ensure that readers of this post get the the true intended reading experience they deserve, we're pushing back the rest of this message for a few months. This way we can give readers the best possible reading experience. Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: g00n and tenken00

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
interesting....

Without posting any spoilers, I'm having trouble getting through it. It's such a different game than what I'm used to where this game is less about the gameplay and more about the story -- especially if you played the first one -- and the emotion it elicits. It does a great job showcasing how brutal life would be in a dystopian world where people are forced to rebuild some semblance of society while trapped between blood-thisty milita groups, oppressive and abusive government forces, and various forms of sick and infected zombies, which makes the game very effective but also hard to experience. And honestly the game is creepy as hell too with a lot of time spent in dark, confined spaces where you know that "infected" who are looking to rip your face off are sitting just around the corner.

It's just a lot. I mostly use video games as a mindless, fun release after a long day of working and raising a family but with this game I feel like I need to emotionally prepare myself before playing it because I never know how I'm going to have my guts ripped out, either literally in the game or figuratively by the morbid turns in the storyline. It's a hell of a lot different than playing a few games of World of Chel in NHL 20 and hoping I get a cool jersey in one of the reward hockey bags :laugh:

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Excellent post AB8. I feel the same way when I play video games -- I want them to be fun and free spirited and a good escape. Not a bloodthirsty dystopia. I say yes to games like Tomb Raider and Uncharted, and no to games like Fallout, Doom, and this Cyberpunk 2077 that everyone is raving about. There's enough unhappiness in real life, don't need it in my video games.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Survival games turn me off. They're virtual problems for those who have too few problems.

If you drive in real life then in-game driving is just "meh". If you're some kid that doesn't get to drive it's probably awesome.

Don't add to my stress, PS4.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I liked The Last of us 2 a lot. It's definitely brutal, but it's one of the most polished games ever, and the performances and animation are amazing.

I'm surprised they got a PS4 game looking and running that good.

Reactions: tenken00

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I love survival horror games and stealth games so TLOU2 has been right up my alley so far. I appreciate where people are coming from saying it is stressful but I prefer to think of it as tense.

Similar to how playoff hockey is tense but I sure as hell look forward to it every year.

Reactions: tenken00
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad