OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Just finished TLOU2.

It's great. It's fantastic. I get it if you want a non-stressful game but it's really worth experiencing the story and the game even if it means watching a YouTube playthrough.

Also I just recently found out they are making The Last of Us an HBO series which is pretty exciting.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just finished TLOU2.

It's great. It's fantastic. I get it if you want a non-stressful game but it's really worth experiencing the story and the game even if it means watching a YouTube playthrough.

Also I just recently found out they are making The Last of Us an HBO series which is pretty exciting.

I made it to the Road to the Aquarium before I went out of town a few weeks ago. If the kids go back to school in August I'm going to cruise through the rest of it in a day or two because I really want to finish out the story. It really is a beautiful game, trying to enjoy it for what it is and not for what I want it to be.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I made it to the Road to the Aquarium before I went out of town a few weeks ago. If the kids go back to school in August I'm going to cruise through the rest of it in a day or two because I really want to finish out the story.

Ooof you are at that part.

It really is a beautiful game, trying to enjoy it for what it is and not for what I want it to be.

This is really the jist of it, and what so many people fail to understand amidst the controversy. Yes, the game is brutal. But there is healing in it, and it starts near where you are at - the middle.

The healing is just not the way most expected, which is the reason for a lot of hate - especially from some of the darkest fringes of our society which sometimes is scarier than the brutality that can be found inside the actual game. But that's also the beauty of it. Life is funny like that sometimes.

Last edited:

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I finished TLOU2 earlier this week and loved it. I did, however, need a tonal "palate cleanser" before diving into any other major game. So I went back and started playing South Park: Fractured but Whole (which I had downloaded a while ago but never played). It's...... very different haha.

I jumped in Red Dead Redemption 2 afterwards (which I also downloaded awhile ago but never played), and I'm kind of struggling with it right now. It just seems like so much to do and each thing takes eons to do it, with everything like traveling just moves at a snails pace. The exact opposite of TLOU2 like South Park but a different kind of opposite haha..

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I jumped in Red Dead Redemption 2 afterwards (which I also downloaded awhile ago but never played), and I'm kind of struggling with it right now. It just seems like so much to do and each thing takes eons to do it, with everything like traveling just moves at a snails pace. The exact opposite of TLOU2 like South Park but a different kind of opposite haha..

Yeah the whole camping component of RDR2 is so unnecessary and bogs the game down. One of Rockstar's rare misses.

Reactions: tenken00

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm almost sure it's there to fight off dysentery.

A-bro and I both abandoned RDR2 eventually. Tedious. I guess you really have to be into the whole theme to enjoy it. I like old Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, but not enough to slog through that game for hours at a time making coffee or collecting pelts on the other side of the world just to upgrade my ammo pouch.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
A-bro and I both abandoned RDR2 eventually. Tedious. I guess you really have to be into the whole theme to enjoy it. I like old Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, but not enough to slog through that game for hours at a time making coffee or collecting pelts on the other side of the world just to upgrade my ammo pouch.

I am starting to agree. I do like large open worlds, and a certain level of in-game mechanics realism (I think I bought Skyrim like 4 or 5 times), but RDR2 is kind of taking it to a level too much for me.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I am starting to agree. I do like large open worlds, and a certain level of in-game mechanics realism (I think I bought Skyrim like 4 or 5 times), but RDR2 is kind of taking it to a level too much for me.
RDR2 was so disappointing. I was really excited about it but it was such a dud. I felt like 75% of the game was traveling or doing otherwise tedious stuff and I could never get invested in it as a result. Such a bummer.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
I abandoned RDR2 as well after awhile. It's a technical marvel and some of the stuff in there is admittedly unbelievable, but I've figured out that open world games really only work for me if the game play is consistently fun (it helps if there's a good main story to focus on and keep things moving too). The lore and setting and vistas and details and etc. etc. etc. can be as amazing as possible, but for me it has to give me a reason to keep going - and I lost that after awhile with RDR2.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So I think the power source on my PS4 has officially shit the bricks. The light on the console flashes blue for a second and the controller blinks white and then it shuts down. It's been on the fritz for about a month but it normally works after I unplug the power source and let it sit for a few minutes but it seems to be officially dead. Will be trying to replace it today since I don't want to buy a new console with the next-gen system coming out this fall/winter but...
43f.gif

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So I think the power source on my PS4 has officially shit the bricks. The light on the console flashes blue for a second and the controller blinks white and then it shuts down. It's been on the fritz for about a month but it normally works after I unplug the power source and let it sit for a few minutes but it seems to be officially dead. Will be trying to replace it today since I don't want to buy a new console with the next-gen system coming out this fall/winter but...
43f.gif

I’m sure you have but Google that.....I had the same issue.....popped the cover off mine and messed around and it works ok......cover still off

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I’m sure you have but Google that.....I had the same issue.....popped the cover off mine and messed around and it works ok......cover still off
I popped it off and cleaned everything out... it was crazy how much dust was in the fan and in the power source. It’s working ok for now but I still ordered another power source off of Amazon just to be safe.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Playing the New World beta from Amazon Games this weekend on PC. Digging it so far. Not terribly innovative, necessarily, but the graphics are pretty solid for a MMORPG and I've been looking for a new MMO to play recently.

The Action RPG combat style is reasonably intuitive; I'm less familiar with this approach or style of game, but it's forgiving enough.

There are no classes as such, but rather an open ended and points-based skills upgrade tree. Their tweak of the game for more of a PvE slant is in line with how I typically play them, but YMMV. It started out as a more unforgiving PvP game. Now the PvP is more optional and grafted on, I believe.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
What's the consensus here between PS5 and Series X?
I'm on the fence, leaning slightly toward series x for the raw power advantage.

I do like some Sony exclusives though, so if I get an X I will almost certainly get the inevitable PS5 Pro.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Ugh, within the next month

Flight Simulator
Grand Tactician: The Civil War (Early Access)
Wasteland 3
Crusader Kings 3

Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access delayed (new date coming on the 18th)

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Not into Fortnite but still an interesting story going on with Epic Games. Fortnite was kicked off both the Google Play and Apple stores today after Epic updated the app. The new update made it so players were paying Epic directly instead of going through the App Store, which is a direct violation. Epic is now suing Apple and possibly Android. Epic was losing 30% of any in app purchases made by users playing Fortnite Mobile

Reactions: Silky mitts

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Has anyone played any of the Dark Souls games?

I'm thinking of trying them, and #2 and #3 are on sale. The first one has a remaster, but it's not on sale. Would it be ok to just jump into the 2nd or 3rd one or should I just go ahead and get the 1st Dark Souls?

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Why was Tom Holland cast in the lead for the Uncharted movie? I was really looking to forward to it seeing as its one of my
favorite video games, but Tom Holland as Nathan Drake? Horrible casting decision.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Has anyone played any of the Dark Souls games?

I'm thinking of trying them, and #2 and #3 are on sale. The first one has a remaster, but it's not on sale. Would it be ok to just jump into the 2nd or 3rd one or should I just go ahead and get the 1st Dark Souls?
The Dark Souls games are legendary for a reason. Particularly 1 (which doesn't look/play great by today's standards, but is still an excellent game) and 3, which is more refined. 2 is considered the weak link, but it's still a good game. But all of the games (as well as the series' offshoots, like Bloodborne and Sekiro) are an acquired taste

You know how, in old NES games, you'd have to keep fighting the same bosses over and over again, trying to figure out their patterns and such? It's like that, but to the extreme. Like, super, super punishing. The good side is that the game really pushes you to customize your loadouts and tactics for specific battles, which IMO is a deeper gameplay experience than button-mashing your way to victory. (And, if/when you do eventually beat a boss, it feels like a major accomplishment. It's super satisfying!) The bad side is that it's easy to lose a lot of progress and get frustrated. If you'd rather beat bosses on your first couple of tries, relying on your reactions and a little luck, they're not the games for you. (Also, I'm definitely NOT a fan of the "hardcore gamer" mentality the Dark Souls games, and Souls-like games, have helped foster in the gaming community--where hardcore gamers who beat games like Dark Souls are "real gamers" and everyone else is just a "casual gamer." It's some real chest-puffing, ego-stroking bullshit that people who take games waaaay too seriously define themselves by.)

IMO, one of the most overlooked elements of the games is the lore. Particularly in the first game. It doesn't tell a straightforward story so much as it does litter the game world with little bits of info here and there that, when put together, tell the story of the game world, its rise and fall, and the player's role in it. You can find a bunch of super extended/deep examinations of the games' lore on YouTube. But... if you're not that big a fan of lore, or don't feel like going out of your way to look for it, you'll be missing out on one of the best things the game has to offer.

Hope this has been helpful! I'd say start with DS1 remaster to get the original experience. Or get DS3, if you'd like the most refined experience at a sale price.

Last edited:
Reactions: tenken00
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad