OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
My bro has gotten me into Eve..have to say it is pretty cool but without a veteran to help you out it is pretty overwhelming.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Anyone play Control? Worth it?

Also finally taking the plunge on GTA5 soon.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Come to the realization lately that I like survival games, so playing a lot of State of Decay 2 recently, a game I'd never heard of.

In the meantime, can all the AAA games I'm looking forward to stop being delayed? Now is not the time for less games.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
That game you won't soon forget. One of the Rockstar's best.

Well I dislike driving as a throw-in element of games (vs the game being about driving simulation like Forza or kick ass battle like Twisted Metal) and abhor timed missions. So there's been some reluctance. I hope it's not dominated by those things.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That game you won't soon forget. One of the Rockstar's best.

I don't know why but I could not get into either GTAV or Red Dead Redemption 2. Maybe it was because I didn't have a ton of free time so it was rare if I could spend more than 30-45 minutes playing maybe 2-3x/week but I just didn't really get hooked by either of them which was disappointing since the GTA series and the original Red Dead were two of my all-time favorites.

I'm really liking Assassin's Creed Odyssey now that I've accepted it's a different game than the original Assassin's Creed -- stealth is still important but there's definitely a 1-on-1 fighting element that wasn't there early in the series -- and that I have some more free time to devote to it. I think I'm about 50 hours of gameplay into it and plan on playing through to the end. Really excited for Valhalla to come out in the fall.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Well I dislike driving as a throw-in element of games (vs the game being about driving simulation like Forza or kick ass battle like Twisted Metal) and abhor timed missions. So there's been some reluctance. I hope it's not dominated by those things.

It is a massive map and it takes forever to get around. It was a huge issue for me in both GTAV and RDR2... unless you have a large block of time dedicated to playing the game you'll feel like you spent more of your time getting around than you did playing the actual game. And agree on timed missions... the absolute worst.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Played the FF7 remake and it was incredibly fun. A few minor issues here and there with the camera during certain battles but I think they did a great job tapping into the nostalgia while also making a new combat system and fleshing out some of the story elements from the original. Took a good 30-40 hours to beat it and now I'm tackling it on hard mode.

I'm still a little worried how long it will take to release Part 2 (and 3? 4?) of the remake but I guess I don't mind waiting a bit if this is the quality we'll be getting.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Playing AC Black Flag again. Can't say enough about this game -- I've played it twice in the past, but even a third time
I find myself utterly absorbed. The gameplay is great and the story is unforgettable. The only downside is the graphics --
PS3 quality, unfortunately. Ubisoft should really do a proper remaster of this game.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Playing AC Black Flag again. Can't say enough about this game -- I've played it twice in the past, but even a third time
I find myself utterly absorbed. The gameplay is great and the story is unforgettable. The only downside is the graphics --
PS3 quality, unfortunately. Ubisoft should really do a proper remaster of this game.

Finished the main story on Odyssey yesterday.
Will probably go after the rest of the Cult members to figure out who the Ghost of Cosmos is and then switch over to Black Flag.
There must be so much to this game that I haven't explored yet because I feel like I've put a good chunk of time into it (60 hours or so) but I'm still only 30% complete even with playing out the main story line... don't think I have the appetite to just travel around the map finding random side missions to boost my completion status bar.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Anyone play Control? Worth it?

Bought it on sale a few weeks ago. It's pretty, and plays more like a Star Wars Jedi game than anything else - some of the abilities are more or less force throw, force shield, Force jump, etc. The plot's a bit dense, but as far as show up, shoot'em up/force 'em up, it seems fine.

Caveat: I'm about a third of the way through the game.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There must be so much to this game that I haven't explored yet because I feel like I've put a good chunk of time into it (60 hours or so) but I'm still only 30% complete even with playing out the main story line... don't think I have the appetite to just travel around the map finding random side missions to boost my completion status bar.

That's an issue I have with the AC games and several like it. Your map can be filled with points of interest or items but how many are worth the time? A playstation accomplishment trophy/badge/whatever does nothing for me.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That's an issue I have with the AC games and several like it. Your map can be filled with points of interest or items but how many are worth the time? A playstation accomplishment trophy/badge/whatever does nothing for me.
Yup, my feelings as well. And I think I'm about to hit Level 50 and Level 99 is the max and it's wild to think about how much time I'd have to allocate to the game to come close to playing through all of it. Once the main storyline(s) are done I lose interest really quickly.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010

The one AC game where it IS worth your time is Black Flag, because you can pick up money and resources which can be spent in upgrading your ship (the Jackdaw). Upgrading your ship is the single most important activity in the game, because towards the end you will need to survive several fights against a couple of behemoth ships (thats right, I said a "couple" -- sounds crazy hard, but if your ship is armed to the teeth you will pull through).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The one AC game where it IS worth your time is Black Flag, because you can pick up money and resources which can be spent in upgrading your ship (the Jackdaw). Upgrading your ship is the single most important activity in the game, because towards the end you will need to survive several fights against a couple of behemoth ships (thats right, I said a "couple" -- sounds crazy hard, but if your ship is armed to the teeth you will pull through).

Oh I know, I've played it. But it does have a few collectibles that aren't worth anything, iirc.

IMO that game got a little too easy when
I got access to the sleeping darts

But yeah, agree with all who love the naval aspect. Really good.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
My bro has gotten me into Eve..have to say it is pretty cool but without a veteran to help you out it is pretty overwhelming.
Eve is one seriously hardcore game. I played for a little while, and came to the conclusion that while I respected the hell out of the game, the devs, and the players who bought in completely, I'm still not sure it's actually fun. Unless you get off on griefing, in which case yes, that game would be totally fun. The devs call it a feature, not a bug. Not for the faint of heart. I still look for articles every now and then on the latest player-driven storylines.

I've been playing a bunch of RDR2 lately, and am enjoying the journey. I'm not in any rush and have left the main path to wander, mostly.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Eve is one seriously hardcore game. I played for a little while, and came to the conclusion that while I respected the hell out of the game, the devs, and the players who bought in completely, I'm still not sure it's actually fun. Unless you get off on griefing, in which case yes, that game would be totally fun. The devs call it a feature, not a bug. Not for the faint of heart. I still look for articles every now and then on the latest player-driven storylines.

I've been playing a bunch of RDR2 lately, and am enjoying the journey. I'm not in any rush and have left the main path to wander, mostly.

I may give RDR2 another shot now that I have a lot of time to kill. When I only used to have blocks of 30-45 minutes to play I found the game very slow moving which was frustrating.

I really want to give AC: Black Flag a shot but I'm definitely picking up AC: Valhalla this fall and I don't want AC fatigue by going from Odyssey to Black Flag to Valhalla all within a few months.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
IMO that game got a little too easy when
I got access to the sleeping darts

Actually the most powerful weapon in the game are the smoke bombs. You can wipe out least 4 opponents with those.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Actually the most powerful weapon in the game are the smoke bombs. You can wipe out least 4 opponents with those.

True, I tried to avoid overusing them. But the lure of the darts was just too much. lol

"Hmm, sneak past this Spaniard on the roof by complicated climbing and timing, or just put his ass to sleep"

*ZZZZZzzzzz

Reactions: sycamore

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

There is a good amount of games within a game. Like the PVP stuff and dealing with low sec/null space does not appeal to me yet but mining and running agent missions and an epic arc or to have been fine for me. Have not experienced any rookie griefing.

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
Friends got sucked into the free weekend for Day Z last week. Decided to revisit the game for the first time since standalone first came out. Seems like a much better product. Still some glitchyness and what not, but pretty fun experience.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Darkest Dungeon is free for the weekend on Steam so I've been giving that a go. Otherwise I've been playing a little Battletech and Pathfinder Kingmaker

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Darkest Dungeon is free for the weekend on Steam so I've been giving that a go. Otherwise I've been playing a little Battletech and Pathfinder Kingmaker

Since there is a time factor I could never get past the first one and find the area I needed to be at (PK). The game was new at the time and there was scant information. Plan to go back and go on another run with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad