OT: Video Game Thread: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I got turned off hard from AC with ACIII (although Revelations was the beginning of the fall after the peak of Brotherhood) one and don't know how much important story I'd miss if I jumped right to Origins and Odyssey.

Reactions: Magua

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I got turned off hard from AC with ACIII (although Revelations was the beginning of the fall after the peak of Brotherhood) one and don't know how much important story I'd miss if I jumped right to Origins and Odyssey.

Nothing. Odyssey and Origins take place well before any of the previous games. Those two games are the beginning of the assassins and templars, going back to ancient egypt (origings) and greece (odyssey).

The games are much different now too, much more RPG like in the sense that you actually find/loot different weapons and amror, as opposed to just acquiring them, etc. The weapons you choose dictate your stype of play as well (daggers for close range/fast hit, spears for distance/power, etc). Its so much more diverse now in the way you can play.

Reactions: Amorgus and RANKKA

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
FF7 just came out on the switch. $15. Sounds sweet. No physical copy though!!
I prefer physical unless I game share it.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Am I the only one that didn’t like the god of war series?
QuickTime events take second place to loot crates/micro transactions as the second worst thing to happen to games. Third is episodic releases.

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
QuickTime events take second place to loot crates/micro transactions as the second worst thing to happen to games. Third is episodic releases.

I only played the latest GoW game, so I can only speak to that, but killing stuff by throwing around a "boomerang axe" was pretty damn fun to me.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh

3 was downright awful due to one factor..an awful emo main character...the setting was great but Connor was easily the worst protagonist in the series...4 is great..but as many say..its not so much a AC game as it is a pirate game in the AC world

never finished unity myself ..some reason I got disinterested ...need to get back to that one...Syndicate I liked..2 characters you got to play..more involved city building..haven't played Rogue...Origins was great but for me, it got to be TOO much after a bit so I have yet to finish that and I rented Oddessy but sent it back before finishing it or really getting far into it cause I had it at the same time as RDR2 came out and I was too engrossed in that

just finished Call of Cthulhu ..wasn't bad...but felt it was missing something...not sure what

Division 2 is pretty solid..even for a solo player like myself

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Just finished my first session of Outward last night and the game is exactly as it suggests. Everything is slow, and its extremely painful to start out. You are woefully undergeared, and everything can destroy you if you arent careful. I managed to not become enslaved, but i was thrown in jail a few times (you never 'die' you just get moved to a locality based 'after death' scenario where you become a prisoner, slave, or similar that you have to work your way out of). The hunger and thirst pieces were a nice touch up front, but became incredibly annoying as i found myself in the middle of the map (you dont show up on the map, you have to identify your location based on your surroundings) with an empty waterskin.

I'm gonna give it another go tonight after work and see what happens, but the initial game play isnt all that impressive. Its difficult to kill anything, and you dont know if you can kill something or not until it essentially one shots you. If youre into 'easier' and more directed games, this one definitely isnt for you.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I loved the classic series, especially 3. Then the new one pissed me right off with its Dark Souls wanna-be combat. I'm fine with some QTEs but not when they get into Dragon's Lair territory. I stopped playing Heavenly Sword because of extra fussy QTEs right in the beginning and I think it was the Wesker fight in Resident Evil: Code Veronica that was straight up a Dragon's Lair scene while the rest of the game was normal.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Just threw my first ever No-Hitter in a baseball game with Nola against the Nationals. 17K's and 124 Pitches.

The last out was a check swing on a 3-2 count where the third base Ump rung him up. It was quite the rush.

i am totally going to miss MLB The Show

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
The result of good drafting and offer sheet compensation....
0D0CDB8D-B7B5-4DD7-80C9-71D4CCE64353.jpeg

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
It's probably pretty minor in the grand scheme of things but one of the things I hate most about the current NHL games is how few players actually have "real" faces. I played NHL 2K6 and 06 obsessively back in the day, so much that I went into the "edit player" screens a lot just to see how the faces were. Not only did the stars look like themselves, but even a good chunk of depth guys and minor leaguers did, too, especially in 2K6. In 06 even a bunch of Euro leaguers had real faces. Now in current gen, you're lucky if half the team actually looks like themselves. You have guys like Holtby, John Carlson, Rantanen who have generic faces, the first two being particularly egregious because they've been in the league for a decade or so now. Hell, the Capitals as a whole have, like, five players with their real faces, and Ovi's face in the game only vaguely resembles the actual player. There's much bigger issues with EA but it bugs me that maybe 7-8 players on a team will actually resemble themselves.

The old games weren't perfect, either, Chris Neil was black in NHL 2K6 and iirc Simmonds was white in 2K10 :laugh:

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
My other big insignificant gripe with EA NHL is the computer generated names. Every Pole, Dane, Korean (lol), anyone not from a major hockey country in the draft will have English names. I'm pretty sure there's not many Poles or Danes named Johnson, Jones, Smith, etc out there. On the other hand, half the North American draftees have "old man" names. How many eighteen year olds anymore do you know of named Norm, Clarence, Albert, Eugene, etc? Then there's names like "Spike" and "Tiny" that are more fit for a dog that are frequently used as first names too.

Again, not important stuff, but it bugs me, lol. It'd be less annoying if you could edit names after the draft like in Madden (or at least the last Madden I played).

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
My other big insignificant gripe with EA NHL is the computer generated names. Every Pole, Dane, Korean (lol), anyone not from a major hockey country in the draft will have English names. I'm pretty sure there's not many Poles or Danes named Johnson, Jones, Smith, etc out there. On the other hand, half the North American draftees have "old man" names. How many eighteen year olds anymore do you know of named Norm, Clarence, Albert, Eugene, etc? Then there's names like "Spike" and "Tiny" that are more fit for a dog that are frequently used as first names too.

Again, not important stuff, but it bugs me, lol. It'd be less annoying if you could edit names after the draft like in Madden (or at least the last Madden I played).

I definitely agree. I only end up getting the new EA game every 5-6 years, so I jumped from 13 to 19 last September. It's a noticeably better game, particularly in the actual gameplay, but a lot of the modes feel like the same old stagnant formulaic play. I haven't quite figured out how to game the draft in 19 like I did in 13 to basically get the top-5 picks every year, but it's doable as the screenshot above proves.

The names are kinda a catch-22 because the game obviously doesn't want to generate players with names it can't have the play-by-play guys say. But I would contend that doesn't really matter because there are actual players in the junior leagues that the play-by-play guys can't say their name, or if you happen to not share a last name with an NHL player your be a pro goes by some stupid name (FYI my last name is Foster and since Kurtis Foster retired, I have been unable to have my name in the games). I think the simplest fix on this is to just have the game not care about actually having play by play eligible names and have the game pull from a much larger database to generate. I can't believe how often I end up in a franchise mode game where there are 2 or 3 Harry Crosbys kicking around.

At this point, I honestly don't understand why EA needs to put out a new game every year. If you think of all non-sports related game franchises, a new game comes out every 3-7 years and takes advantage of that timeline to update and overhaul the entire game dynamics. As gamers, we're all okay with that. And one of the main complaints I see on the EANHL games are that every year, it feels like last year but with a few tweaks. So maybe get a small team that can build patches like roster and online stuff between big releases and just do a full new game every 3 years.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I definitely agree. I only end up getting the new EA game every 5-6 years, so I jumped from 13 to 19 last September. It's a noticeably better game, particularly in the actual gameplay, but a lot of the modes feel like the same old stagnant formulaic play. I haven't quite figured out how to game the draft in 19 like I did in 13 to basically get the top-5 picks every year, but it's doable as the screenshot above proves.

The names are kinda a catch-22 because the game obviously doesn't want to generate players with names it can't have the play-by-play guys say. But I would contend that doesn't really matter because there are actual players in the junior leagues that the play-by-play guys can't say their name, or if you happen to not share a last name with an NHL player your be a pro goes by some stupid name (FYI my last name is Foster and since Kurtis Foster retired, I have been unable to have my name in the games). I think the simplest fix on this is to just have the game not care about actually having play by play eligible names and have the game pull from a much larger database to generate. I can't believe how often I end up in a franchise mode game where there are 2 or 3 Harry Crosbys kicking around.

At this point, I honestly don't understand why EA needs to put out a new game every year. If you think of all non-sports related game franchises, a new game comes out every 3-7 years and takes advantage of that timeline to update and overhaul the entire game dynamics. As gamers, we're all okay with that. And one of the main complaints I see on the EANHL games are that every year, it feels like last year but with a few tweaks. So maybe get a small team that can build patches like roster and online stuff between big releases and just do a full new game every 3 years.
I kinds wish they'd just take a database of the most common 1000-2000 last names in the US (or Canada) and use those. There's so many common last names that aren't in the game because there aren't any NHL players with those names. Crosby doesn't bother me too much because it's not that uncommon of a surname. It's when you see names like Nugent-Hopkins, Getzlaf, Niedermayer, etc over and over that bugs me. Those aren't common last names and definitely not ones you'd expect multiple (nonrelated) NHLers to have. I'm not sure how common different European surnames are, but having multiple "Ovechkins" floating around the NHL ruins the immersion for me as well.

Unrelated, but Harry Crosby was Bing Crosby's real name, just found it funny you used that particular name as an example, lol.

Reactions: denominator

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Unrelated, but Harry Crosby was Bing Crosby's real name, just found it funny you used that particular name as an example, lol.

I did not know that, but it goes straight back to your point about old man names.

It also should not be that difficult to have the game coded such that you never generate a player with an existing name. I know it happens in real life (Sebastian Ahos, Nicklas Backstroms) but it's definitely rare and really makes franchise mode difficult when there are literally two free agents named Alex Ovechkin.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I did not know that, but it goes straight back to your point about old man names.

It also should not be that difficult to have the game coded such that you never generate a player with an existing name. I know it happens in real life (Sebastian Ahos, Nicklas Backstroms) but it's definitely rare and really makes franchise mode difficult when there are literally two free agents named Alex Ovechkin.
This is probably the best (and worst) one I've seen, in an NHL 19 series I was following on YouTube.
tiny lam.png

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
One more gripe about Be a GM: building from within doesn't seem to be a thing, at least not with the CPU. I usually never get through three or four seasons, but in just about every series I watch on YouTube, teams ~5 years in the future seem to be exclusively filled with veteran free agents, usually with hardly any team-developed prospects to be found. This seems especially bad in Be a Pro and is probably also the reason why teams seem to never have enough $ to re-sign key RFAs. Also doesn't help that a lot of EA's default potentials for players in juniors are frequently pretty off-base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce