OT: Video Game Thread: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Consoles need to become modular. Technology is moving too fast to release a console every 6-7 years. At release they're already behind a mid-tier PC and a few years in they're complete dinosaurs
I don't know what you consider to be a Mid Tier PC but I doubt the Xbox One X or even S are behind any PC of the same price.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Xbox One S is at $250 and can play at 1440p. Try building a computer for $250, it will be shit.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Xbox One S is at $250 and can play at 1440p. Try building a computer for $250, it will be ****.

You're also basing this off of hardware that came out in 2013 with downgraded graphics to specifically meet the needs for the One S. The One S has not aged well at all, mainly because even when the original One came out, it was still underpowered compared to the original PS4. Also, if I remember correctly, when the Xbox One originally came out, they were losing money for each console sold for the first year or two before starting to break even.

Reactions: Peter Man

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Also, if I remember correctly, when the Xbox One originally came out, they were losing money for each console sold for the first year or two before starting to break even.
How is that relevant. Try playing games on a $250 Xbox vs a $250 PC. One is going to be a lot better than the other.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Also, generally consoles have hardware from the previous year. So, to be fair, we should make a computer from 2012 to be similar. I think that's very doable for 250.
Do whatever year you want. No shot you can get close the same performance at that price.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
You're also basing this off of hardware that came out in 2013 with downgraded graphics to specifically meet the needs for the One S. The One S has not aged well at all, mainly because even when the original One came out, it was still underpowered compared to the original PS4. Also, if I remember correctly, when the Xbox One originally came out, they were losing money for each console sold for the first year or two before starting to break even.

The One S isn’t bad at all. I bought a One X for RDR2 and kinda regret it because I don’t see much difference. Most games don’t even take advantage of the extra hardware. I think for $250 the One S would be better than a PC in that price range. Most people game to have fun and play with their friends which is way more convenient on a console. It’s easier to move around and you can share games with a family member or friend. I don’t know one friend who has a gaming PC and if you prefer playing with a controller you’re going to be at a automatic disadvantage in competitive FPS.

I have a relatively high end PC (although my GPU is aging now) and I appreciate how it can make certain games look. GTA, Skyrim, Witcher 3 all have noticeably better graphics. The older I get though the more I want to lay on my couch and relax after work. I rarely use my PC for gaming because of that.

I guess it depends on what’s important to you and if your friends game on PC. For the average gamer a console makes way more sense. The graphic differences aren’t as major as people make them and you need to spend a fair amount to make them noticeable to the average person. I think the PS4 is the best bet with exclusives like Spiderman, God of War, The Last of Us. Could probably get it under $250.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Not an expert but I'd imagine $700 gets you a good build, historically. Not sure if the crypto craze is still inflating prices on GPUs etc

It crashed. Significantly better hardware value for the money on the PC. Don't listen to the raging guy talking in generalities and don't forget to add in the cost of a tv.

And to be clear, this isn't a bettet/worse thing. It's pure preference with positives and negatives. That just happens to be a PC positive.

Reactions: Peter Man

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
It crashed. Significantly better hardware value for the money on the PC. Don't listen to the raging guy talking in generalities and don't forget to add in the cost of a tv.

And to be clear, this isn't a bettet/worse thing. It's pure preference with positives and negatives. That just happens to be a PC positive.
Saying a $250 PC would be trash (for running modern games) is talking in generalities and makes me raging? Show me a $250 PC build that can comfortably play modern games.

I own a PC that I built. Cost me $550 and can run games OK but not as good as my Xbox. If you are going specifically for gaming and want something cheap and easy, consoles are a better bet for sure.

Last edited:

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
The One S isn’t bad at all. I bought a One X for RDR2 and kinda regret it because I don’t see much difference. Most games don’t even take advantage of the extra hardware. I think for $250 the One S would be better than a PC in that price range. Most people game to have fun and play with their friends which is way more convenient on a console. It’s easier to move around and you can share games with a family member or friend. I don’t know one friend who has a gaming PC and if you prefer playing with a controller you’re going to be at a automatic disadvantage in competitive FPS.

I have a relatively high end PC (although my GPU is aging now) and I appreciate how it can make certain games look. GTA, Skyrim, Witcher 3 all have noticeably better graphics. The older I get though the more I want to lay on my couch and relax after work. I rarely use my PC for gaming because of that.

I guess it depends on what’s important to you and if your friends game on PC. For the average gamer a console makes way more sense. The graphic differences aren’t as major as people make them and you need to spend a fair amount to make them noticeable to the average person. I think the PS4 is the best bet with exclusives like Spiderman, God of War, The Last of Us. Could probably get it under $250.
Agreed here. I was talking about consoles in general and I only have experience with the Xbox One so used that as my example.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Anyone else excited about the new Star Wars game coming the end of the year? I usually don't pre-order games unless I have credit on Amazon but I may make an exception for this one.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I own a PC that I built. Cost me $550 and can run games OK but not as good as my Xbox. If you are going specifically for gaming and want something cheap and easy, consoles are a better bet for sure.

Not if you intend on buying games. The more you buy, the further it scales towards PC being more cost effective unless you only buy AAA titles during launch weeks.

Hardware is not the only factor in how a game runs. There's quality of the port, graphics settings within the game, desired resolution and framerate, etc. Hell, not every game bottlenecks at the same hardware point either.

It is definitely less fussy going the console route and I wouldn't blame anyone for choosing it for that reason.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Not if you intend on buying games. The more you buy, the further it scales towards PC being more cost effective unless you only buy AAA titles during launch weeks.

Hardware is not the only factor in how a game runs. There's quality of the port, graphics settings within the game, desired resolution and framerate, etc. Hell, not every game bottlenecks at the same hardware point either.

It is definitely less fussy going the console route and I wouldn't blame anyone for choosing it for that reason.
That's fair but I think you are talking about PC's at a higher price point than $250. I cannot see an argument for a $250 PC over an Xbox (again for modern gaming).

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Sony reveals PlayStation 5 details: 8K graphics, ray tracing, SSDs, and PS4 backwards compatibility

I can't wait. I love playstation. I also read they will make this price friendly to gamers which is fine by me.

My favorite Game is the Hitman games, I also like how this is PS4 backwards.

Not sure what 8k will look like vs 4k but will see.
It probably wont look any different right now. If I’m not mistaken, nothing is currently or planned to be made in 8k, and the only 8k tv has been released in the UAE.
It could take off or be like 3D and pretty much never get off the ground.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
It probably wont look any different right now. If I’m not mistaken, nothing is currently or planned to be made in 8k, and the only 8k tv has been released in the UAE.
It could take off or be like 3D and pretty much never get off the ground.
3D was more of a gimmick. I may be wrong but higher quality doesn't seem to fail.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
That's fair but I think you are talking about PC's at a higher price point than $250. I cannot see an argument for a $250 PC over an Xbox.

It could be a little higher, yeah, especially with an SSD. I did a ~$450 tower build for a friend's son the other week that would easily handle basically everything in 1080p with reasonably steady 60 fps. Drop the SSD and that's more like $400. You could get a cheaper case than the one he wanted (~70), save a bit on RAM, etc. It would be close.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
3D was more of a gimmick. I may be wrong but higher quality doesn't seem to fail.
I would argue that 3D is a higher quality image as a default. The same with VR. The same with HD DVD.
If it doesn’t have the content, it’s not going anywhere.
If only a small portion of your demographic has an 8k tv, why waste the resources to develop in 8k?

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki

Do you use a 4K screen with the One X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad