OT: Video Game Thread: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I finally got around to Return of the Obra Dinn. Absolutely fantastic. Having two games to your name and them being the quality of that and Papers, Please is an unreal run.

I finally gave up on WoW a few months back.

Congrats on getting out. Great decision. I left end of Cata and never looked back.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I finally got around to Return of the Obra Dinn. Absolutely fantastic. Having two games to your name and them being the quality of that and Papers, Please is an unreal run.

Congrats on getting out. Great decision. I left end of Cata and never looked back.

I left after lich king and didnt come back til pandaria, but otherwise played through. The most recent expansion eac fun, ....but ultimately became another grind fest after a while.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I never tried WoW but got stuck playing a free Everquest shard when I was unemployed for a while because since I couldn't afford internet I took my computer to my other unemployed friend's house and that's all he did. I do NOT miss that crap in the least. I'm not built for hardcore guild multiplayer, especially now as I have real responsibilities. I don't need additional voluntary ones as well. When my friends all started playing Minecraft for a while I also said "This feels like work." and got mocked for it. After a little bit I enjoyed the underground exploration aspect but f*** having to craft and/or keep track of five million things. I never really liked Legos to begin with. I'd much rather draw or make stuff out of clay for my creative outlets.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
WoW is one of those games that hit me at the perfect time in my life... aka having a lot of time on my hands and being 17/18/19 years old. Awesome memories of pre-expansion days with Molten Core, Onyxia, and BWL raids and the early PVP like alterac valley and warsong gulch, and even more so the random world PVP encounters. Tried coming back many times and while it was OK, I think i just moved past it and it will never be the same again. It also just felt way too polished and sort of lost its charm it had early on IMO

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I never tried WoW but got stuck playing a free Everquest shard when I was unemployed for a while because since I couldn't afford internet I took my computer to my other unemployed friend's house and that's all he did. I do NOT miss that crap in the least. I'm not built for hardcore guild multiplayer, especially now as I have real responsibilities. I don't need additional voluntary ones as well. When my friends all started playing Minecraft for a while I also said "This feels like work." and got mocked for it. After a little bit I enjoyed the underground exploration aspect but **** having to craft and/or keep track of five million things. I never really liked Legos to begin with. I'd much rather draw or make stuff out of clay for my creative outlets.

I love the idea of it, and early raiding days of WoW were loads of fun. But yeah, to play like that is a huge commitment, one I just havent had the time for lately (but had no problem logging 150+ hours in AC Odyssey - go figure).

Again, I love the concept of MMOs, but lately they all just feel the same. I need something that allows balance between multi and single player because I cant dedicate tuesdays and fridays from 7 til 11 to raiding anymore.

Reactions: Amorgus

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I tried wow and wasn’t a huge fan. But my heyday Ultima Online was a boon to my childhood. Love that game. It’s a damn shame that it doesn’t hold up to the test of time. Every few years I download it and join a free shard for a day and forget about it. So many memories.
My favorite one was making a pure alchemist and ONLY making explosive potions. I would fill a pouch with the max greater explosive potions as I could, go to the nearest bank, that’s heavily populated. Place the bag on the ground a few paces away from everyone and wait the half second it took for a horde to rush for the freebie, and toss one potion to set off a virtual A bomb.

Reactions: Amorgus

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I tried wow and wasn’t a huge fan. But my heyday Ultima Online was a boon to my childhood. Love that game. It’s a damn shame that it doesn’t hold up to the test of time. Every few years I download it and join a free shard for a day and forget about it. So many memories.
My favorite one was making a pure alchemist and ONLY making explosive potions. I would fill a pouch with the max greater explosive potions as I could, go to the nearest bank, that’s heavily populated. Place the bag on the ground a few paces away from everyone and wait the half second it took for a horde to rush for the freebie, and toss one potion to set off a virtual A bomb.
In Everquest I went with a lizardguy beastmaster so I could go around with my lizardwolf and solo stuff when I wasn't riding my freinds' coattails. When EQ first came out we had one friend who played it religiously while we all just hung out around him and did whatever. He was somewhere fighting orcs and my spectating friend and I decided that the sound of an orc taking damage sounded like the "Duh duh duh" part of the song Slam by Onyx. When he'd a attack one we started yelling "SLAM! *orc noise* *orc noise* LET THE ORCS BE ORCS!". My usually unflappable friend started getting more and more annoyed with our new song and we kept laughing harder and harder every time we did it. We still sing that to this day, over two decades later, and after telling this tale I'll probably say "SLAM!" when I see him tonight and he'll finish it.

Reactions: Defect

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
In Everquest I went with a lizardguy beastmaster so I could go around with my lizardwolf and solo stuff when I wasn't riding my freinds' coattails. When EQ first came out we had one friend who played it religiously while we all just hung out around him and did whatever. He was somewhere fighting orcs and my spectating friend and I decided that the sound of an orc taking damage sounded like the "Duh duh duh" part of the song Slam by Onyx. When he'd a attack one we started yelling "SLAM! *orc noise* *orc noise* LET THE ORCS BE ORCS!". My usually unflappable friend started getting more and more annoyed with our new song and we kept laughing harder and harder every time we did it. We still sing that to this day, over two decades later, and after telling this tale I'll probably say "SLAM!" when I see him tonight and he'll finish it.
My friend's roommate in college (all 3 of us went to high school together) played EverQuest so much that he had to drop out during his 2nd semester. He had pretty much stopped going to class and just played EQ all day and night. He also stopped showering and their dorm room smelled like ass. I never believed that video game addiction was a real thing until this all went down.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
My friend's roommate in college (all 3 of us went to high school together) played EverQuest so much that he had to drop out during his 2nd semester. He had pretty much stopped going to class and just played EQ all day and night. He also stopped showering and their dorm room smelled like ass. I never believed that video game addiction was a real thing until this all went down.

This makes me feel a whole lot better about skipping 3 days of class when Burning Crusade came out.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Buddy of mine got Outward Friday night, said the game is not for anyone who enjoys casual gaming. In his first 8 hours, he was enslaved 6 times, killed another 3, and died twice to disease.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow night and we'll see how it goes.

Reactions: sa cyred

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I wish I were wiser about moving on. Been playing swtor since pre-launch (7-8 years now) and the second half of that hasn't felt like the content deserves my subscription money. Yet I pay.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Buddy of mine got Outward Friday night, said the game is not for anyone who enjoys casual gaming. In his first 8 hours, he was enslaved 6 times, killed another 3, and died twice to disease.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow night and we'll see how it goes.
Enslaved? Does that mean you can also enslave others?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Enslaved? Does that mean you can also enslave others?

From what he told me, you can get mugged by NPCs and they take your equipment, and force you to work in the mine for x amount of time or you escape.

The bright side, he said, is that NPCS can be agro towards other NPCS, so he led one if the bandits into a hyena den and watched the hyena maul the bandit.

Reactions: Defect and trostol

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I played WoW in middle school for like 1.5 years. Back in the OG non-expansion level 60-cap days. Some of my fondest gaming memories.

Somehow, my 14 year old self realized I was playing it a little too much and decided to quit cold turkey. Can't say I didn't get an itch in the years that followed though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Thanks. I wanted to go back and pick a highly regarded game from the past few years that I hadn't played, and it was between HZD or The Witcher 3. It seemed like TW3 was a much bigger undertaking, while I'm a very casual gamer.

HZD is definitely not too dense. Gorgeous visuals. Fun gameplay.

Reactions: Nolan Hatrick

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
HZD was the last modern game that truly blew me away. It's similar to Far Cry in the open map traveling and hunting but not having five million modern weapons makes it much more interesting. On top of that, discovering the histroy of the world through the various ruins and where the cyberanimals came from was very well thought out. I think it's going to be time soon to play through it again but I need to play something else first as I'm nearing the end of Far Cry 3. I think my nephew just asked about trying Horizon recently too so that may put a wrench in things...

Reactions: Nolan Hatrick

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
Haven't read this thread at all before and i am not a console player but hzd i need to play somehow at some point. Been loving games like AC Origins and Odessey, GTAV, wither3 and new TombRaiders on PC.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
So what’s everyone think of The Show?

Deciding if it’s worth turning on my PS4 that hasn’t been on in probably a year plus and deal with the updates.

Love it. Hitting is fixed which is the big problem last year. Fielding matters and the online gameplay is solid. Last year was a disaster but they're off to a good start so far.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Haven't read this thread at all before and i am not a console player but hzd i need to play somehow at some point. Been loving games like AC Origins and Odessey, GTAV, wither3 and new TombRaiders on PC.

Origins and Odyssey have been such a fun time sink for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad