Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
51RqOZge6DL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Just bought Pokémon sword for the switch. I’ve only played red way back in the day and what is it lets go pikachu? Which is basically red.
I have no idea who Is good or not, I haven’t even left the house yet, but I have high hopes for my man Rand Spear the Pokémon Trainer

Reactions: Chinatown88

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
The story is unparalleled in gaming, it treats us like an adult. It's not a story where everyone is redeemable or where people always get what they deserve or a happy ending. It's not a story where people are just good or bad with nothing in between unlike what TV and film often makes us believe. The people in this game are loyal, loving, jealous, spiteful and vengeful in equal measure and sometimes everyone is a prick. Your actions are a direct response to your experiences and good or bad is just a point of perspective - It shows how the right thing can also often be the wrong thing.

It's got incredible depth to it and the level of quality outstrips most films for depth and delivery. I absolutely love it, this is causing emotions and making me question and regret my actions in a way no game ever has before. The closest i've come is the wonderful Spec Ops: The Line but even that looks amateur hour compared to this.
Gotta recommend The Witcher 3 if you enjoy a story that treats you like an adult. I still feel it's the game of this console generation.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Rand Spear earned his first badge today. It’s a good start but he’s still got a long road ahead of him

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
for some reason, i just can not get into the Witcher..and i have tried multiple times to play that
Multiple times here as well, and wind up stopping for no real reason. Maybe it’s that there too much freedom in it? I dunno

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Multiple times here as well, and wind up stopping for no real reason. Maybe it’s that there too much freedom in it? I dunno

could be..i did have that issue the first time i played Skyrim..but that i got back to and played..Witcher for some reason just doesn't grab me..i do not know if it is the combat..the 8 billion little side quests or what

Reactions: Defect

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Games like Elder Scrolls are exploration and experience driven. Most open world games today are create a character —> insert into world —> run amok. That’s not a criticism, it’s just a certain style of RPG with its own pluses and minuses. The Witcher isn’t quite as open world as it seems.

The Witcher 3 (remember it is the end of a trilogy, which comes after an entire saga of books) is incredibly plot and character driven. Personally, I prefer the firm architecture of games like that. So, if you’re not willing to be invested in that aspect and the emotional/moral complexities, it’s probably not the game for you. The games do a good enough job summarizing past events, but you do need to put in some effort. Do a bit of short reading beforehand, get through the White Orchard prologue, then dive deep into the first major quest line (the Bloody Baron), and I think it will open itself to you.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I'm almost at the end of Witcher 3.

I've not really enjoyed it. Considering just how massive the maps are and all the extras, I found the story to be lacking somewhat. All of the quests are relatively similar.

Meet morally dubious character
Follow a red trail
Kill monsters
Collect items
Return to character
Decide if to kill them or not.

Rinse repeat.

I feel that they could have reduced the maps by half, added some actual complexity into tackling the monsters in the witcher contracts rather than powering up on potions and mashing x, and offered something different (strategy wise) for the main quest line then I would have enjoyed it immensely.

At no point did I ever feel like I had to use any form of intelligence to progress through the story or kill the monsters in the contracts.

Reactions: Rebels57

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
for some reason, i just can not get into the Witcher..and i have tried multiple times to play that

Same here. Didnt grab me at all.

5a21a6e256c3519db65f13cb83180e8a.gif

I'm almost at the end of Witcher 3.

I've not really enjoyed it. Considering just how massive the maps are and all the extras, I found the story to be lacking somewhat. All of the quests are relatively similar.

Meet morally dubious character
Follow a red trail
Kill monsters
Collect items
Return to character
Decide if to kill them or not.

Rinse repeat.

I feel that they could have reduced the maps by half, added some actual complexity into tackling the monsters in the witcher contracts rather than powering up on potions and mashing x, and offered something different (strategy wise) for the main quest line then I would have enjoyed it immensely.

At no point did I ever feel like I had to use any form of intelligence to progress through the story or kill the monsters in the contracts.

6597338-1579620290.jpg

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I have only played this game and seen the tv series, so have no idea about the previous. Yens a f***ing whackjob. I'll take the fiery ginger.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
The series was awesome, that hooked me immediately, the game, I enjoyed but I always ended up playing something else roughly just after I got to the castle. That part REEEEEAALLY drags and kills the momentum. After I get there and stop I don’t play for a few months and have to start over to get a feel for the game again. Rinse and repeat. I’ve tried playing on both the Xbox and switch so far

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Rand Spear the Pokémon trainer now has his second badge and is well on his way to a third. He may have to take some time to find a decent water Pokémon first, as he has none that are decent.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The Witcher is okay for me. I appreciate the world-building and the monster designs and the characters. However, video games are always about gameplay for me. Otherwise, what's the point? You can get world-building and plot-driven entertainment from all kinds of media including paper books, audiobooks, movies, television, comic books/manga/graphic novels, writing yourself, etc. It's the interactive elements that separate video games from other mediums. In that respect, The Witcher 3 was a bit tedious for me.

It feels like it takes so long to get anything done and even though the combat system isn't anything too complex, it's deep enough that you feel lost if you go away for a long while and come back to it. Between that and the story I felt the need to start over from scratch the last time I stepped away from it. I think that's a bad sign for a game's gameplay if you can't just pick it up and get the feel for it after a time away from it. Otherwise, the game feels like a project you can't step away from.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57 and Defect

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I guess I'll ask again. I still haven't returned to The Last of Us (original). Should I finish it in light of Last of Us 2? People keep saying the story is so good, but I wasn't in love with what I'd seen so far from Last of Us (original)-- but I'd only reached the dark area where you have to find the ladder in the dark -- it was annoying, then I got distracted by life. Good enough recommend, I'll start back up and push through both games as soon as I finished Darkest Dungeon.

Reactions: Defect

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I guess I'll ask again. I still haven't returned to The Last of Us (original). Should I finish it in light of Last of Us 2? People keep saying the story is so good, but I wasn't in love with what I'd seen so far from Last of Us (original)-- but I'd only reached the dark area where you have to find the ladder in the dark -- it was annoying, then I got distracted by life. Good enough recommend, I'll start back up and push through both games as soon as I finished Darkest Dungeon.

Well you are still at the very beginning of the original. And you won't really understand the 2nd if you plan on playing that without playing the first one

The part you are describing was very annoying for me too in the first game. Its the only part that I remember being so frustrated over though.

It definitely picks way up from there though. Just wait til you hit Fall and Winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad