OT: Video Game Thread: Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I haven’t had a PlayStation since PS2. I’m an Xbox ride or die guy. But Halo hasn’t made Xbox worth it since Xbox 360 with Halo 3. Reach was underrated. But Halo 4 and 5 were disasters that torched Bungie’s legacy.

Even on Xbox One, the launch of the Master Chief Collection was an embarrassing unplayable bungle, and anyone I know that plays Halo simply plays that for Halo 2 and 3 nostalgia.

Sony shreds Microsoft apart in exclusive games in laughable fashion. I regret not being able to play many of them, but that’s a matter of money and time.

I'm in this boat. Microsoft take absolutely no chances on exclusives. I couldn't care less about playing Gears 54 of Halo 91. It's why I really dislike Nintendo too. I have no interest in playing the 50th version of Mario kart, Smash brothers, Zelda ect.

Sony blew Microsoft out of the water in the latest gen of consoles. Uncharted , Last of Us , Horizon Zero dawn , God of War...

The variety is what keeps things fresh.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm in this boat. Microsoft take absolutely no chances on exclusives. I couldn't care less about playing Gears 54 of Halo 91. It's why I really dislike Nintendo too. I have no interest in playing the 50th version of Mario kart, Smash brothers, Zelda ect.

Sony blew Microsoft out of the water in the latest gen of consoles. Uncharted , Last of Us , Horizon Zero dawn , God of War...

The variety is what keeps things fresh.

Its really not even remotely close either.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It’s almost as if different people like different things.

3fdd549037bec426232e1c695ab66d46.jpeg

All that matters is if each person is happy with their purchase.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I was originally an Xbox fan before this console generation, but I went with the PS4 over Xbox one because of all the anti consumer policies Xbox had announced before the launch. I think I may go back to Xbox this generation because of all the crap around the Last of Us 2. The fact that Sony got YouTube to give strikes to channels for simply talking about the leaks leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And now they are contacting reviewers that have them bad/mixed reviews which is crazy.

As far as missing the Sony exclusives, I think many of them are pretty overrated. I really enjoyed Last of Us Remastered, Days Gone, and God of War which was amazing. But I don’t really care for Spider-Man and I didn’t think Uncharted 4’s gameplay was very good. And they fact that the woman in that game routinely kicks Nathan Drake’s ass ridiculous. We are supposed to believe that after killing hundreds if not thousands of people in the previous three games some buff chick is going to kick his ass all over the place?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just finished 'The Last Of Us Part II' - what an experience. I dont even know where to begin. I need a few days to process it all.

I can say this, if HBO nails the TV series adaptation which starts next year, its going to be one of the best series' ever made.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Just finished 'The Last Of Us Part II' - what an experience. I dont even know where to begin. I need a few days to process it all.

I can say this, if HBO nails the TV series adaptation which starts next year, its going to be one of the best series' ever made.
Cant wait for the TV series. I'm not sure how to feel about it either. I love some parts and I hate some parts.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
All that matters is if games are good or not. Sequel or original is completely irrelevant.

Halo alone is enough to make getting an Xbox worth it.

In theory yes, but only Nintendo manage to keep things fresh despite releasing the same games every generation.

Sony succeed with fresh new IP whereas Microsoft have really lagged behind because they just don't take chances. Countless sequels tend to become safe and mediocre whereas having studios like Guerilla and Naughty Dog working on different styles benefits everything.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

I think i'm 80% of the way through and if this isn't my favourite game of all time then i'd love to see what is.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Cant wait for the TV series. I'm not sure how to feel about it either. I love some parts and I hate some parts.

I loved the majority of it. It explored some really complicated aspects of humanity. The writing and voice acting is on another level. The attention to detail in the area design was also on another level. The gameplay was a lot of fun, but also so stressful at times that i'm glad I am finished.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think i'm 80% of the way through and if this isn't my favourite game of all time then i'd love to see what is.

Let me know what your thoughts are when you are finished.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I loved the majority of it. It explored some really complicated aspects of humanity. The writing and voice acting is on another level. The attention to detail in the area design was also on another level. The gameplay was a lot of fun, but also so stressful at times that i'm glad I am finished.
I didn't like how often you had to play as Abby and how little they showed of Joel and Ellie after she found out what happened. I loved everything you said as well though.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I didn't like how often you had to play as Abby and how little they showed of Joel and Ellie after she found out what happened. I loved everything you said as well though.
This is one of the reasons why I’m not getting it. MGS2 has raiden, I don’t give a shit about him. It’s a game about snake. I want to play as snake.
TLOU is Joel/Ellie. I want to play as them.

Reactions: BigToe

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I agree that we had to play with Abby for too long, but I also understand it. They wanted us to spend a substantial amount of time with the enemy so that we could understand their perspective. I also don't think the ending would have been as impactful had we not spent a significant amount of time with her. That being said, was I constantly wishing I was back with Ellie during that time? Yes lol

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I agree that we had to play with Abby for too long, but I also understand it. They wanted us to spend a substantial amount of time with the enemy so that we could understand their perspective. I also don't think the ending would have been as impactful had we not spent a significant amount of time with her. That being said, was I constantly wishing I was back with Ellie during that time? Yes lol
That's what I didn't really understand though. After all that, they just fought and that was it? They didn't talk about anything?

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

The story is unparalleled in gaming, it treats us like an adult. It's not a story where everyone is redeemable or where people always get what they deserve or a happy ending. It's not a story where people are just good or bad with nothing in between unlike what TV and film often makes us believe. The people in this game are loyal, loving, jealous, spiteful and vengeful in equal measure and sometimes everyone is a prick. Your actions are a direct response to your experiences and good or bad is just a point of perspective - It shows how the right thing can also often be the wrong thing.

It's got incredible depth to it and the level of quality outstrips most films for depth and delivery. I absolutely love it, this is causing emotions and making me question and regret my actions in a way no game ever has before. The closest i've come is the wonderful Spec Ops: The Line but even that looks amateur hour compared to this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57 and BigToe

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's what I didn't really understand though. After all that, they just fought and that was it? They didn't talk about anything?

Ellie was driven by the image of Joel's death that she couldn't shake but right before she killed Abby she finally saw a vision of Joel alive and that stopped her. I think she ultimately let her live to break the cycle of killing so that Abby could be to Lev what Joel was to Ellie. It's a complicated ending to be sure. I can understanding being unhappy with it but the fact that while Ellie was drowning Abby I had this feeling of "don't do it" means the game suceeded for me in it's message that the lines between who is good and who is evil are blurred. As for "talking it out," they were both on their last legs at that point. I don't think we have seen the end of these two interacting.

Reactions: BigToe

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Ellie was driven by the image of Joel's death that she couldn't shake but right before she killed Abby she finally saw a vision of Joel alive and that stopped her. I think she ultimately let her live to break the cycle of killing so that Abby could be to Lev what Joel was to Ellie. It's a complicated ending to be sure. I can understanding being unhappy with it but the fact that while Ellie was drowning Abby I had this feeling of "don't do it" means the game suceeded for me in it's message that the lines between who is good and who is evil are blurred. As for "talking it out," they were both on their last legs at that point. I don't think we have seen the end of these two interacting.
Yea you’re right. I didn’t want Ellie to kill Abby either. It just bothered me that the game ended with them both not fully on the same page. I guess it’s realistic though.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
In theory yes, but only Nintendo manage to keep things fresh despite releasing the same games every generation.

Sony succeed with fresh new IP whereas Microsoft have really lagged behind because they just don't take chances. Countless sequels tend to become safe and mediocre whereas having studios like Guerilla and Naughty Dog working on different styles benefits everything.
I think if you asked most Halo players they'd actually be mad because things have changed too much, not that things stayed the same and got stale. :laugh:

Regardless, like I already said, I'm just someone who is more interested in games like Halo Infinite than any of the new IPs that Sony has shown off. Just my personal preference.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

For me, it’s all about letting go of the past.

The symmetry between Abby and Ellie is striking. Both go after the man who killed their father and let vengeance control their every thought, losing friends and family in the process. Ultimately both also end their story by letting their nemesis live.

You see Abby at the end, she doesn’t want to fight any more. After the theatre scene she’d let go of her anger towards Ellie and was moving on. Just like Ellie does at the end.

I hope Ellie is going back to Jackson at the end. I can’t help but wonder how you move an entire house’s worth of belongings in a post apocalypse world though!

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
For me, it’s all about letting go of the past.

The symmetry between Abby and Ellie is striking. Both go after the man who killed their father and let vengeance control their every thought, losing friends and family in the process. Ultimately both also end their story by letting their nemesis live.

You see Abby at the end, she doesn’t want to fight any more. After the theatre scene she’d let go of her anger towards Ellie and was moving on. Just like Ellie does at the end.

I hope Ellie is going back to Jackson at the end. I can’t help but wonder how you move an entire house’s worth of belongings in a post apocalypse world though!

Those are all great points. Especially Abby letting Ellie live first. Enough was enough. I definitely think Ellie was going to Jackson, presumably to try and reconcile with Dina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad