Player Discussion Victor Mete

The best thing to do for his development?

• Bring him to London

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Bring him back with the first team

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I know but Mete is more of a liability now. Last year he was holding his own. Kotkaniemi is holding his own. You send down a kid when he cant keep up. Kotkaniemi will stay because we want him to stay and develop as you say but most fans now think that Mete would hugely benefit from a lot of icetime in Laval.

It's the case with a lot of young dmen. It's very rare that a dman is NHL ready without playing at least 160 games in the NHL. You don't learn to play against Crosby and McJesus by playing against Byron Fraise and Logan Chat. It's a process. Now if later in the season he really **** *** then yeah. Specially if you can find takers for two of Alzner, Benn and Schlemko and Kulak is playing well. But sending Mete down while icing two of Benn, Alzner and Schlemko on a daily basis just doesn't mate any sense to me. It's very dangerous that the kids will see this as favoritism.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Maybe I'm not analyzing his plays too much but I think he's been fine this year. And that's awesome for a 20 year old. I'd trust him to play 25 minutes a game before Benn, Alzner, Schlemko, Ouellet. He's a better D than those 4 already, but that's not saying much.

He hasn't been productive offensively, but really, who cares. He's 20 and a 5'9''. He'll find his groove eventually.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Would love to see Mete get some time in Laval with Kulak up

Reilly-Weber
Kulak-Petry

Two solid pairings with whoever is playing best on the third pairing until Juulsen is back.

Mete can play in the NHL but I want to see him get put in a position to thrive.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I thought Mete just had his best game of the season tonight against Boston. He looked very confident, and had no hesitation to his game. This was the Mete we used to see.
Same, maybe raised his game auditioning for a spot next to Man Mountain next week

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
It's the case with a lot of young dmen. It's very rare that a dman is NHL ready without playing at least 160 games in the NHL. You don't learn to play against Crosby and McJesus by playing against Byron Fraise and Logan Chat. It's a process. Now if later in the season he really **** *** then yeah. Specially if you can find takers for two of Alzner, Benn and Schlemko and Kulak is playing well. But sending Mete down while icing two of Benn, Alzner and Schlemko on a daily basis just doesn't mate any sense to me. It's very dangerous that the kids will see this as favoritism.

Well, these kids should be grateful to have this opportunity because they know most of d-men that are older had to first play good in the AHL. So, they know that the veterans will play more then them, it’s not favoritism but logic. Also, it should be the other way around. Veterans should say its favoritism that younger guys get to play and not them. They could make a point that its not like any of them is producing like lets say a Thomas Chabot either.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Well, these kids should be grateful to have this opportunity because they know most of d-men that are older had to first play good in the AHL. So, they know that the veterans will play more then them, it’s not favoritism but logic. Also, it should be the other way around. Veterans should say its favoritism that younger guys get to play and not them. They could make a point that its not like any of them is producing like lets say a Thomas Chabot either.

It's not favouritism of the better player is getting more ice time.

Reactions: Sorinth and LaP

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
If he keeps playing like he did against Boston, it won't be too long before his gets his first NHL goal...
Would love to see Mete get some time in Laval with Kulak up

Reilly-Weber
Kulak-Petry

Two solid pairings with whoever is playing best on the third pairing until Juulsen is back.

Mete can play in the NHL but I want to see him get put in a position to thrive.
Having Kulak and Reilly in your top 4 is anything but solid.

Reactions: Bloumeister

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I thought Mete just had his best game of the season tonight against Boston. He looked very confident, and had no hesitation to his game. This was the Mete we used to see.

He's been great since coming back from the AHL. He needs to stay at this level to provide the value he brings to the table. Consistency is what you look for. Juulsen has struggled with it and did not look the same after getting two pucks to his face.

The responsibility is on the Habs to ensure that young players don't become complacent. Know your role and be the best you can be at it.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Besides being quick he doesn't offer much needs to be sent down to the ahl

We've seen glimpses of him jump up into the play or rush the puck up that have either resulted in good scoring chances or goals. I think he'll put it together and provide great offense and defense with his speed AND hockey sense/puck skills.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
We've seen glimpses of him jump up into the play or rush the puck up that have either resulted in good scoring chances or goals. I think he'll put it together and provide great offense and defense with his speed AND hockey sense/puck skills.

It's just a matter of time. Look at Girard's stats in Colorado, it's not all that impressive too but he's their #2.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's just a matter of time. Look at Girard's stats in Colorado, it's not all that impressive too but he's their #2.

Yes similar cases. But I think Girard's a little better with the puck and seeing the ice. But Mete seems faster and gets up and down the ice better imo.

Reactions: a55p2

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Even though the production isn't there yet, he's been a massive positive for this team. He's playing against the best in the league and he doesn't look out of place at all.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think he can be a top pairing guy. The potential's there. If I was a betting man I'd say 2nd pairing most likely but I see the upside. If he stayed in junior last year and was in Laval this year, he probably would've won OHL D man of the year and would be tearing it up in Laval this year where we'd be freaking out about him. But since he's doing BETTER than that people are actually 'meh' on him hahaha.

Same with Romanov (to a lesser extent) before the WJCs. People forget how great it is that he made the KHL and start seeing the zero point totals. Same with Danault (before a month ago) a 3rd line C who can actually play in the top 6 and instead people nit pick all the bad he does instead of acknowledging his overachieving and yet now he's producing at a very acceptable rate for a #2 guy. Especially at even strength. I still think ideally he's a #3 but still the guy's fantastic. People still underrate how he played with Radulov and Patches. he seems to be improving too. Now had he stayed on the 3rd line everyone would have been raving about him and no one would think Eller was better (and I was a big Larry fan).

It's the weird paradox of overachievement that skews fans' perceptions of certain players.

Megaforce

Mete has been great since he got here originally.
I never saw the supposed dip in performance that led him to be send to the minors.
He's fast afoot and is also quick mentally and with his hands.
I rarely see him make a bad play. Did I mention that he can skate? Yes. He can.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He's been excellent since he returned from the A. He's very good defensively, positionly sound, moves the puck well but his prime asset is his skating. He can jump into the offense and return on defense without blinking an eye.

He is however the most unlucky player in hockey.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Mete has been great since he got here originally.
I never saw the supposed dip in performance that led him to be send to the minors.
He's fast afoot and is also quick mentally and with his hands.
I rarely see him make a bad play. Did I mention that he can skate? Yes. He can.

The thing that concerns me is that he's been better since he came back up - and, he himself, although he was disappointed to be sent down at first, said he was learning so much down there with Bouchard, playing 20 minutes a night, in every situation. I just hope we're not rushing him because the rest of what Bergevin assembled sucks. He probably should have played a full season in the AHL last year.

And, if the NHL rules don't allow that, then the rules need to be changed.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His production is up from last year but shocking that in 86 games he has yet to score a goal while spending a lot of that on the top pairing. But one things for sure, if Timmins gets fired some team is going to hire him and have him scout defensemen. :nod:

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad