Player Discussion Victor Mete

The best thing to do for his development?

• Bring him to London

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Bring him back with the first team

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Nope. He could develop just as much in the NHL, but why would he hinder the team by being a below replacement player when we can slap him in the AHL and be a good contributor there. The perfect level to develop a player is the level they are at because they can contribute while getting better. Mete is easily an NHL defender and is miles ahead of the Schlemko, Alzner, Ouellet gang so he deserves to play. Players barely develop at all during games because they are rightfully scared of trying something new and make a mistake. If you want to develop your skills, the best place to do so is in practice or during the off-season.

Oddly enough, Reilly said his strong start this year was because unlike his old team, they ( meaning the coaches), dont staple you to the bench for every little mistake you make. So he was able to have the chance to play his game here. Yes, he means Montreal.

So damn straight , young guys and fringe players are terrified of making mistakes. So for most guys, defence is first and only.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Can't wait to see him back on his natural left side. Being on the right side is the main reason of his struggling imo. When Weber is back he'll find his groove back again on the left.

Reactions: Mrb1p

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Reading today's paper on why Clode likes this 'internal competition' makes me think he's a coach of the past.

All that this benching does is instill doubt in players and makes them play 'safe'. And destroy all of what is exciting in their play.

Back to the old, boring hockey of the last 20 years in Montreal of chipping it of the glass with no forward progress.

Note to Clode : this isn't 2011. You don't win that way anymore.

Hope you guys enjoyed this run. Because it is evident that the coach wants it the old fashioned way of playing. The one he knows best. The one that got him to lose his job in Boston.

Having inner competition is stupid, especially with a young squad.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Reading today's paper on why Clode likes this 'internal competition' makes me think he's a coach of the past.

All that this benching does is instill doubt in players and makes them play 'safe'. And destroy all of what is exciting in their play.

Back to the old, boring hockey of the last 20 years in Montreal of chipping it of the glass with no forward progress.

Note to Clode : this isn't 2011. You don't win that way anymore.

Hope you guys enjoyed this run. Because it is evident that the coach wants it the old fashioned way of playing. The one he knows best. The one that got him to lose his job in Boston.

Having inner competition is stupid, especially with a young squad.
Hoping that the new assistant coaches can make him evolve

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I’ve been telling you he’s a great skater but when he gets the puck he doesn’t know what to do with it. He needs conditioning or I don’t think he’ll be a good top 4.

Reactions: Tyson and Victorius

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Kid is unrecognizable to the player that made the team out of camp last year

Without question should be in Laval

Put him on the left side, and then if he still doesn't play better in his own zone, a short stint with Joel Bouchard might be the right thing.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Put him on the left side, and then if he still doesn't play better in his own zone, a short stint with Joel Bouchard might be the right thing.
It's not real his own zone that concerns me, last season he was skating with and moving the puck much more and also pinching in low for the 'Andrei Markov' back door play - other than the goal that Shaw stole from him earlier in the year seems likes he's reluctant to handle the puck much and rarely ever see him jump up in the play

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I just can't see how putting him into a space where he dominates for 10 or 15 games wouldn't help him A LOT. He's a guy who can really solidify our blue line in the coming years. Would hate to see him wasted like that.

I think he kind of gets the Danault treatment from fans because he's overachieved a bit. If Danault was used as a bottom 6 C people would be raving about him. People forget Mete's a kid. A 4th rounder who actually cracked the NHL as a 19 year old. There's really good potential there. He dominated juniors. Was a huge part of Team Canada at the WJCs. He has real upside. I just don't think we need to see him struggle if we don't have to. I would hate to see him get DLRed.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The only thing we need to do with Mete is being patient. Sending him down would exactly be the opposite of that. It's what we have been doing for 25 years now. Sending kids down and icing putrid vets. The worst thing in life is not learning from your own mistake.

Be patient. If he has what it takes he'll figure it out in the next 4 years. If not then we will have tried at least. It's not like we have anyone better to ice anyway. Benn and Schlemko should be in Europe. In the DEL probably cause they are certainly not good enough for the KHL or even SHL. Alzner should retire.

I don't even think Benn last 10 games in the KHL. His contract would be terminated quickly.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I have 100% faith in the right side of the defense. Theres room for a lot to go wrong with Juulsen, Fleury, Brook+ Petry and Weber. Juulsen is already looking like the best defender on this team, and Fleury and Brook look like the best defender on their team, too. It's a great spot the Habs are in when it comes to RD's.
Let’s fix the LD now.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Let’s fix the LD now.
Mete is a good start, but they need to take their head out of their asses and make the obvious call, send him in the A. He can anchor the 2nd pairing for 15 years if they get serious about the future.

Romanov, Tsyzka and Harris are nice steps, but a few more are needed.

The organisation is going to get weaker at G also, they need to add at least one goaltender.

Reactions: Acadien86

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Mete is a good start, but they need to take their head out of their asses and make the obvious call, send him in the A. He can anchor the 2nd pairing for 15 years if they get serious about the future.

Romanov, Tsyzka and Harris are nice steps, but a few more are needed.

The organisation is going to get weaker at G also, they need to add at least one goaltender.
I don’t see Mete in my soup.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
You're somehow forgetting he's turned 20 a few months ago ? Come on, he's the third best Dman on this squad, and he's 20. His potential is still great.
he’s very fast but I don’t see much else. I would like to upgrade.

Kulak
Reilly
Romanov

We need to add a real stud LD

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
You're somehow forgetting he's turned 20 a few months ago ? Come on, he's the third best Dman on this squad, and he's 20. His potential is still great.

yeah I don't get the writing off of Mete. Kid's still super young. Put up big points his last year of junior, was a stud at the WJCs, and cracked (albeit with a weak team) the NHL as a 19 year old.

Reactions: Simarino and Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
he’s very fast but I don’t see much else. I would like to upgrade.

Kulak
Reilly
Romanov

We need to add a real stud LD
What youre seeing is a player being rushed, not a player of no value. To say hes merely fast is quite the understatement. Hes also really smart, hes great to pinch, creates a lot of offensive turnovers in the offensive zone and keeps the blue line really good. Hes playing RD and with really bad defensemen right now, yet he still keeps his head above water and is the only D that creates offense. Hes fine.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
The only thing we need to do with Mete is being patient. Sending him down would exactly be the opposite of that. It's what we have been doing for 25 years now. Sending kids down and icing putrid vets. The worst thing in life is not learning from your own mistake.

Be patient. If he has what it takes he'll figure it out in the next 4 years. If not then we will have tried at least. It's not like we have anyone better to ice anyway. Benn and Schlemko should be in Europe. In the DEL probably cause they are certainly not good enough for the KHL or even SHL. Alzner should retire.

I don't even think Benn last 10 games in the KHL. His contract would be terminated quickly.

So, you think 20 year olds have never developed their game in the ahl? Gallager and pac were sent in the AHL. Mete’s shot needs A LOT of work, and if he is so good than why he doesnt put a few pts? It kotkaniemi had 0 pts, I doubt he would still be here.

It’s about fair internal competition. If you produce you deserve to stay, which is something Mete isnt doing. Kulak is 4 years older, and has nhl experience but still went to Laval, and deserved a callup. That’s how it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I believe 24mins in the AHL would do wonders for him. Put him and Fleury on the 1st pwp wave.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
So, you think 20 year olds have never developed their game in the ahl? Gallager and pac were sent in the AHL. Mete’s shot needs A LOT of work, and if he is so good than why he doesnt put a few pts? It kotkaniemi had 0 pts, I doubt he would still be here.

It’s about fair internal competition. If you produce you deserve to stay, which is something Mete isnt doing. Kulak is 4 years older, and has nhl experience but still went to Laval, and deserved a callup. That’s how it works.

That's not what i said. But you have to consider the mental aspect of the game. Being sent down is a demotion. You can sit with the kid and explain to him it's for his own good etc it wont change the fact it will likely be seen by him as a demotion. Now if you have 3 guys clearly better to play on the left side that's fine. But we don't. So there's a high risk that the kid will see this as an unjustified demotion and he would not be wrong about it. Rewarding vets for just being vets (while terribly sucking on the ice) is a very very very dangerous game.

BTW a kid can develop in the NHL just as well as the AHL as long as you are patient with him which we can afford considering how bad our defense really is. Also Gallagher was recalled in the NHL as soon as the lockout was over he barely played in the AHL not even 40 games and i highly doubt it contributed to anything as he was close to be ready at his 19 years old training camp the previous year. Without a lockout Gallagher likely never play in the AHL at all.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
That's not what i said. But you have to consider the mental aspect of the game. Being sent down is a demotion. You can sit with the kid and explain to him it's for hia own good etc it wont change the fact it will be likwly seen by him as a demotion. Now if you have 3 guys clearly better to play on the left side that's fine. But we don't. So there's a high risk that the kid will see this as an unjustified demotion and he would not be wrong about it. Rewaring vets for just being vets is a very vey vey dangerouis game.

BTW a kid can develop in the NHL just as well as the AHL as long as you are patient with him which we can afford considering how bad our defense really is.

I know but Mete is more of a liability now. Last year he was holding his own. Kotkaniemi is holding his own. You send down a kid when he cant keep up. Kotkaniemi will stay because we want him to stay and develop as you say but most fans now think that Mete would hugely benefit from a lot of icetime in Laval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->