Player Discussion Victor Mete

The best thing to do for his development?

• Bring him to London

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Bring him back with the first team

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
It's interesting to see how quickly the game is changing. These fast, mobile, puck moving defense men are quickly becoming the norm in today's NHL. A few years ago, the only one that would come to mind is Ellis. This upcoming draft features 5 defensmen in the current top 30 rankings who are under 6 feet tall.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
It's interesting to see how quickly the game is changing. These fast, mobile, puck moving defense men are quickly becoming the norm in today's NHL. A few years ago, the only one that would come to mind is Ellis. This upcoming draft features 5 defensmen in the current top 30 rankings who are under 6 feet tall.

I am sure many feel vindicated that we can better understand why some didn't like the big trade from last year. Age vs age, talent vs talent but also playing style that meshes well with the modern NHL.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I am sure many feel vindicated that we can better understand why some didn't like the big trade from last year. Age vs age, talent vs talent but also playing style that meshes well with the modern NHL.

I still feel you need both. I wouldn't want two Metes as linemates for instance. Having a big guy that can clear the net, win battles in the corner and tee up lasers is still as important as ever. Even moreso IMO seeing as many teams are dressing smaller dmen and big presences on the backend with talent are becoming more and more scarce.

I don't want to talk about the trade or bring back the subban vs Weber debate but I feel like Mete and Weber may be a perfect combo. Their styles mesh perfectly.

Subban and Ellis is not quite as good in comparison. Subban did better with the much larger, defense first guy ekholm.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I still feel you need both. I wouldn't want two Metes as linemates for instance. Having a big guy that can clear the net, win battles in the corner and tee up lasers is still as important as ever. Even moreso IMO seeing as many teams are dressing smaller dmen and big presences on the backend with talent are becoming more and more scarce.

I don't want to talk about the trade or bring back the subban vs Weber debate but I feel like Mete and Weber may be a perfect combo. Their styles mesh perfectly.

Subban and Ellis is not quite as good in comparison. Subban did better with the much larger, defense first guy ekholm.

I can agree with this, I also don't want to rehash this topic, I've actively stayed away from Radu talk since the start of the preseason. It's literally all we did this summer was dwell on things (good or bad) that we simply can't change. We vented our frustrations and now it's time to judge the actual on ice product.

This season will be great either the Habs mesh well and succeed or Bergevin gets fired. The classic but always welcomed win/win situation.

Reactions: DangerDave

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

This has nothing to do with a big or small defenseman as Subban is not small lol. The reason that Subban and Josi didn't work is because both like to control and carry the puck so yes a stay at home defenseman was a better partner for Subban in the same way that Mete and Weber compliment eachother.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I can agree with this, I also don't want to rehash this topic, I've actively stayed away from Radu talk since the start of the preseason. It's literally all we did this summer was dwell on things (good or bad) that we simply can't change. We vented our frustrations and now it's time to judge the actual on ice product.

This season will be great either the Habs mesh well and succeed or Bergevin gets fired. The classic but always welcomed win/win situation.
It will indeed be a good season regardless. Looks like a good draft too. Worst outcome (as per usual) would be finishing around 14th to 20th.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
They gave him a permanent spot in the locker room with the number 53. Seems pretty clear he is getting 9 games at the minimum.

My answer was regarding his #53, he might change his number when he becomes a regular. He's not a regular yet.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
My answer was regarding his #53, he might change his number when he becomes a regular. He's not a regular yet.

Oh ok that makes sense, I was thinking that if they made his permanent stall in the locker room that would confirm his real number. Especially if fans want to get his jersey, wouldn't be fun to have to change the number.

Anybody remember when did Chucky go from 94 to 27?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Oh ok that makes sense, I was thinking that if they made his permanent stall in the locker room that would confirm his real number. Especially if fans want to get his jersey, wouldn't be fun to have to change the number.

Anybody remember when did Chucky go from 94 to 27?

Didn't he always wear the 27 with the Habs?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Julien was on LavoieDubé and they asked him about Mete. CJ said that he saw him at the development camp in July for the first time. He already had some scouting reports from the coaches that were already there last year. When he saw him, he went to MB and told him he'd like to try him next to Weber at camp.

He continued by saying that at the rookie tournament, Mete didn't do anything spectacular, but he did so many little things right and he felt that putting him with a veteran like Weber will help the kid feel more comfortable. He didn't imagine he'd reach this point. But he was curious to see how he'd look next to Weber at least for future reference.

It's fair to say mission accomplished for Mete. Even if he is sent down eventually, it is still mission accomplished.

He also once again compared him to Krug. But he mentioned that Krug had to learn that he won't win many board battles and had to develop quicker decision making where opponents wouldn't take advantage of his size. He finalized it by saying that Mete has that part of the game already developed. He doesn't give opponent's the opportunity to corner him because his decision making is quick and already has the puck passed along to his teammates.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
One game at the time for Mete, but I'm confident he will force his way in. Keep on kid!

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

But habs should keep drafting big guys cuz they are safe NHL ready players who will be bottom pair or bottom 6 guys at worst LOL.

Draft for IQ, Skill, Skating. NHL today size is not important. And the more hitting gets regulated out of the game the more its going to go that way.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Hearing a lot of negativity in the media around this kid. Either he'll get eaten up by the league (McGuire, Dreger) or it just shows how weak LD is in Montreal (lu). This kid is fantastic. I think he'll stay all year and be very good.

He gets the puck so quickly and turns it up ice, guys can't even get to him. He's playing with so much confidence. Absolutely no hesitation. I love the way he's playing.

Love that julien picked him out right away and put him in a position to succeed. Unlike tinordi and Beaulieu he doesn't look afraid to make a mistake. I give lots of credit to both julien and mete for that. Keep it up kid!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Plekanec was #35 for a few seasons before switching.

Anyways this kid is staying up the season. I love that he could potentially be the better defenceman between him and his teammate drafted 5th overall.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Hearing a lot of negativity in the media around this kid. Either he'll get eaten up by the league (McGuire, Dreger) or it just shows how weak LD is in Montreal (lu). This kid is fantastic. I think he'll stay all year and be very good.

He gets the puck so quickly and turns it up ice, guys can't even get to him. He's playing with so much confidence. Absolutely no hesitation. I love the way he's playing.

Love that julien picked him out right away and put him in a position to succeed. Unlike tinordi and Beaulieu he doesn't look afraid to make a mistake. I give lots of credit to both julien and mete for that. Keep it up kid!

Huh the reason tinordi and beaulieu were afraid to make mistakes is because of the tyrant behind the bench. I don't believe in negative re-inforcements and benching players. It gives them too much time to dwell on the mistakes they made and then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy instead of letting them go out there and correct their mistakes. Don't you agree?

No way Mete makes it with Therrien behind the bench. It was obvious we needed a center and Therrien still refused to play Galchenyuk at center so full marks to Julien and Mete for his success so far.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
They gave him a permanent spot in the locker room with the number 53. Seems pretty clear he is getting 9 games at the minimum.

Maybe, to everyone's disarray, he just ends up getting traded for a player named 'CapSpace' ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad