Player Discussion Victor Mete

The best thing to do for his development?

• Bring him to London

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Bring him back with the first team

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Then why was Beaulieu taken 17th overall, and Mete in the 4th round? If he was all that, surely he would have been taken higher? Seems like there's a tint to your glasses.

Beaulieu 6'2 while Mete is maybe 5'8. Neither one of them put up huge numbers as neither one seem to have much of a shot but were picked for their skating, puck moving abilities. Teams likely slept on Mete despite being on that stacked London team that racked up the points, even though he had 38 pts in 68 games that's not overly impressive when you look at the roster.

On a side note, funny how we ended up with so many players from that draft. On top of our own picks, Danault, Shaw, Armia, Reilly, Peca, Ouellet, Morrow, waivers Shaw, Nesterov, Lessio, plus AHL contracts for Grenier, Veilleux, and Broll. So that's 20 players that we either drafted, traded for or signed.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Beaulieu 6'2 while Mete is maybe 5'8. Neither one of them put up huge numbers as neither one seem to have much of a shot but were picked for their skating, puck moving abilities. Teams likely slept on Mete despite being on that stacked London team that racked up the points, even though he had 38 pts in 68 games that's not overly impressive when you look at the roster.

On a side note, funny how we ended up with so many players from that draft. On top of our own picks, Danault, Shaw, Armia, Reilly, Peca, Ouellet, Morrow, waivers Shaw, Nesterov, Lessio, plus AHL contracts for Grenier, Veilleux, and Broll. So that's 20 players that we either drafted, traded for or signed.
I don't think it's just the size, although that is a factor. I think that the other poster is simply exaggerating, and that Mete just isn't as impressive a prospect as that guy thinks he is. It happens all the time with this fanbase. I remember when in the early 2000's on here, I stated that Andrei Kostitsyn would likely never get anywhere near 50 goals in a season and was lynched for it. You can't have tempered expectations on here without getting attacked, it's always been that way. Most of the fanbase really has the homer goggles on, especially when it comes to prospects.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think it's just the size, although that is a factor. I think that the other poster is simply exaggerating, and that Mete just isn't as impressive a prospect as that guy thinks he is. It happens all the time with this fanbase. I remember when in the early 2000's on here, I stated that Andrei Kostitsyn would likely never get anywhere near 50 goals in a season and was lynched for it. You can't have tempered expectations on here without getting attacked, it's always been that way. Most of the fanbase really has the homer goggles on, especially when it comes to prospects.

most fanbases of all sports are going to overrate their prospects. That doesn't mean that Mete won't be better then Beaulieu, as he's clearly much smarter and better in his own end. The question with Mete is how much offensive upside does he have and how will he hold up over 82 games + playoffs down the road when we hopefully are a playoff team again.

Some think that Borgstrom's ceiling is that of a 3rd line C. When discussed in the same sentence as the Montreal canadiens, a lot of prospects that play C are regarded as even better than they are likely to be.

Borgstrom has to be one of the top prospects in the NHL, he has 1st line upside, he's a beast. Panthers have a heck of a group of forwards.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Also, the Habs have a bunch of 2013 Picks they have either drafted or traded for:
- Drouin (3rd)
- Domi (12th)
- Rychel (19th)
- McCarron (25th)
- De La Rose (34th)
- Lehkonen (55th)

Also worth noting, the only 2013 picks on the Habs are from the first 2 rounds and no later.

Reactions: DAChampion

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
How is that garbage? I'm saying that if Mete was visibly that much better in so many areas than a 1st round calibre prospect like Beaulieu was, he would have been drafted earlier. It's pretty straight forward. He's 20. He could not have improved that much since being drafted. The other poster is just being a homer/exaggerating about him.
Honestly, if you can't see how egregiously wrong your argument is, then there is no point in further discussion. Critical thinking my friend.......look into it.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I'm definitely routing for Mete. Seems like a great kid, who's a team first player. Has a excellent work ethic or so it seems, so that should help him as he moves forward. Not worried about his weaker shot at the moment, that can improve as he gets stronger. His pros of being able to move the puck, skating, vision and play pretty solid D for a guy his size is something that will only continue to get better.

In terms of ceiling, I'm not sure he'll be an elite point producer from the blue line, but I can definitely see him being a Tyson Barrie lite. Maybe not the same offense, but better defense. A 35 point 2nd liner/PP guy that is dependable in his own end. If he can put up those numbers, that's a huge bonus for us in a couple of years.

Just my thoughts on the young man.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
How is that garbage? I'm saying that if Mete was visibly that much better in so many areas than a 1st round calibre prospect like Beaulieu was, he would have been drafted earlier. It's pretty straight forward. He's 20. He could not have improved that much since being drafted. The other poster is just being a homer/exaggerating about him.

There may come a day, where the draft is nearly perfect. It's certainly better than it was ten years ago ... but it's not perfect. There are many great players who end up drafted in the later rounds.

For example, from the 2011 draft,
2011 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com
Brandon Saad, William Karlsson, and Nikita Kucherov were drafted in the 2nd round; Vincent Trotchek, Jean Gabriel Pageau, Johnny Goudreau, and the mighty Andrew Shaw, were drafted after the 2nd round.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
There may come a day, where the draft is nearly perfect. It's certainly better than it was ten years ago ... but it's not perfect. There are many great players who end up drafted in the later rounds.

For example, from the 2011 draft,
2011 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com
Brandon Saad, William Karlsson, and Nikita Kucherov were drafted in the 2nd round; Vincent Trotchek, Jean Gabriel Pageau, Johnny Goudreau, and the mighty Andrew Shaw, were drafted after the 2nd round.
I realize that. My point, however, is that Mete probably just isn't as impressive as the other poster is making him out to be.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I realize that. My point, however, is that Mete probably just isn't as impressive as the other poster is making him out to be.

that could be but it's the reasoning that I and likely others don't agree with. Beaulieu was handled poorly by management and both coaching staffs. Had they done a better job, maybe he turns into a decent bottom pairing D that you just have to stick a stay at home type with. That said having low hockey IQ is a major problem to overcome even for someone that skates as well as he does.

Mete on the other hand, while there are legit concerns imo about his offensive upside and how a 5'8 defensemen is going to do in the NHL. He doesn't have the low IQ problem and that is a big difference. So in the Mete vs Beaulieu,

Better skater - Mete
Better defensively - Mete
Higher hockey IQ - Mete

Now there's ones I can't answer. Who has the better shot, Beaulieu was terrible at getting his shots on net as they too often would hit the shin pads of the wingers covering him but he could wrist it. Mete I just haven't seen him shoot enough other then to say he doesn't have a big shot at all.

Who's the better passer, playmaker? I'm not sure of that one either, I might lean towards Beaulieu but it's hard to compare Mete at 18/19 vs Beaulieu at 18/19 as I didn't watch a lot of Beaulieu until he was in Hamilton at 20.

So it comes down to we know Mete is further ahead of Beaulieu since he was in the NHL at 19 despite me being against it as I hate how this organization rushes 19/20 year olds. Mete has the higher hockey IQ no question, he's better defensively no question. He's got better skating, mobility. So the only thing is their offensive games, we'll see what Mete can do over the next few years, maybe he never reaches Beaulieu's high of 28 pts, or maybe he ends up better. Hard to say at this point at least for me as I have a lot of questions about Mete's offensive game.

Last edited:

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
At this moment, it seems like Beaulieu's 28 points season was a fluke. If Mete reaches a consistent 25pts per season, which I think he could reach very soon, then he'll be better than Beaulieu offensively. I think it's not unfair to assume that he could reach that as soon as next year and than improve from that in following years.

To me it's not even comparable, Mete is much better than Beaulieu in almost all skills category. Beaulieu is still young and there's a chance he'll ''find himself'' as a hockey player. This happens often. However, I feel Mete already knows pretty much what to do, and which type of player he needs to be.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
At this moment, it seems like Beaulieu's 28 points season was a fluke. If Mete reaches a consistent 25pts per season, which I think he could reach very soon, then he'll be better than Beaulieu offensively. I think it's not unfair to assume that he could reach that as soon as next year and than improve from that in following years.

To me it's not even comparable, Mete is much better than Beaulieu in almost all skills category. Beaulieu is still young and there's a chance he'll ''find himself'' as a hockey player. This happens often. However, I feel Mete already knows pretty much what to do, and which type of player he needs to be.

I didn't watch any sabers games outside of a couple vs the Habs so I don't know what happened to Beaulieu, got to think he'll be better then 9 pts as that's the same production he had in 5 more games as a 22 year old. But it's not a good sign for him when at 25 he was on pace for the same amount of points as Mete was at 19.

I think Mete will easily be better since he's so far ahead of him defensively and IQ wise while being an even better skater. The only place I have a hard time is with Mete's offensive upside.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
At this point it's more about speculation than anything else, but if I can add to your point, I think he'll be the type of defenseman to collect a lot of secondary assists. While he was fairly cautious in his offensive rushes this season, he was very good at it. He was fast to get the puck out of the d-zone and he made safe but effetive passes. Sometimes, he carried it even into the o-zone, and than made an effective pass. I think that at the very least he'll get a bunch of points from secondary assists, the rest is up in the air.

Raskolnikow

Jun 19, 2018
I'm definitely routing for Mete. Seems like a great kid, who's a team first player. Has a excellent work ethic or so it seems, so that should help him as he moves forward. Not worried about his weaker shot at the moment, that can improve as he gets stronger. His pros of being able to move the puck, skating, vision and play pretty solid D for a guy his size is something that will only continue to get better.

In terms of ceiling, I'm not sure he'll be an elite point producer from the blue line, but I can definitely see him being a Tyson Barrie lite. Maybe not the same offense, but better defense. A 35 point 2nd liner/PP guy that is dependable in his own end. If he can put up those numbers, that's a huge bonus for us in a couple of years.

Just my thoughts on the young man.

I agree with your assesment, but your comparison with Barrie is a bit off. Barrie actually has a great shot. Mete will never reach his level at that aspect.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I agree with your assesment, but your comparison with Barrie is a bit off. Barrie actually has a great shot. Mete will never reach his level at that aspect.

I agree, I think Mete compares better to a guy like Jared Spurgeon, although if he ever reaches that level I'll be very positively surprised.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
PK Subban - #1D
Ryan McDonagh - #2D
Max Pacioretty - #1LW
Yannick Weber - #5D

Nikita Kucherov - #1RW
Ondrej Palat - #2LW
Vladislav Namestnikov - #3C
Nikita Nesterov - #6D
Matthew Peca - AHL

They got the best player, that's about it. Habs really ****ed up, 2 of those defensemen should still be with us today.

In what world was McDonagh not a #1D in his prime (which seems to be closing now)?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I didn't watch any Sabres games outside of a couple vs the Habs so I don't know what happened to Beaulieu, got to think he'll be better then 9 pts as that's the same production he had in 5 more games as a 22 year old. But it's not a good sign for him when at 25 he was on pace for the same amount of points as Mete was at 19.

I think Mete will easily be better since he's so far ahead of him defensively and IQ wise while being an even better skater. The only place I have a hard time is with Mete's offensive upside.

Mete's better all around game than Beaulieu and the fact that he is more responsible defensively (despite being small, he has an active stick that works well for him) will ensure better TOI than Beaulieu in the long run for Victor Mete. That alone should see him produce better numbers.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Also worth noting in the Mete vs. Beaulieu discussion, NB had to go through Lefebvre, Therrien & JJD. Whereas VM, if he goes through Laval, will go through Bouchard, Julien & Richardson.

It's not Beaulieu's fault who his coaches were. But Mete will benefit from better coaching than Beaulieu did.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think he's a bit underrated in general. I think he has top pairing potential. Not a lock to get there but I think the consensus is 2nd pairing upside and no more. I do think size can be prohibitive in him getting there but I think he can still get stronger. Lack of a shot may hurt as well when people wise up to him more. I think the speed and smarts can overcome those things though.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I think he has tremendous talent but come playoff time, his size as a 1st pairing D could be a problem.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Definitely 2nd pairing material at least. Love this guy. Hopefully CJ gives him some more freedom and encourages Mete to pinch more. I trust his instincts.

Reactions: dralaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad