Player Discussion Victor Mete

The best thing to do for his development?

• Bring him to London

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Bring him back with the first team

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
There's probably a better thread to put this in, but can you guys give me some insight into Victor Mete? Specifically what type of player he is and what role he projects as in the long-term. Thanks!

Small defenceman who is a great skater, he is a pretty good passer but doesn't have a good shot which limits his offensive ability.

I see him as a solid second pairing D who can play second PP and maybe put up ~25 points a year in his prime years.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There's probably a better thread to put this in, but can you guys give me some insight into Victor Mete? Specifically what type of player he is and what role he projects as in the long-term. Thanks!

I don't think we really know yet, he looks like he's going to be a solid two way player, either a 2nd pairing or a 3rd pairing if his offensive game doesn't develop. He's got the great skating, speed that is the new NHL, he's smart positionally and uses his stick well. My main concerns are how much offense he can produce and how his frame holds up over a long season. That said he's still so young that he should be able to add mass/strength over the next few years.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Small defenceman who is a great skater, he is a pretty good passer but doesn't have a good shot which limits his offensive ability.

I see him as a solid second pairing D who can play second PP and maybe put up ~25 points a year in his prime years.

I think his ceiling is higher than 25 points. He could generate offense off the rush and by wristers and snappers from the point.

Benjamin Dobert

Aug 8, 2018
Potential Potential Potential. The Habs are simply a team rife with potential and we're all unsure of the blossom effect and when they'll all hit their peaks. They may not hit their peaks and fire on all cylinders simultaneously but they could blossom after they leave the pressure of Montreal. I for sure don't want that. V. Mete will be intriguing to watch. I'm stoked to see his performance!

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Potential Potential Potential. The Habs are simply a team rife with potential and we're all unsure of the blossom effect and when they'll all hit their peaks. They may not hit their peaks and fire on all cylinders simultaneously but they could blossom after they leave the pressure of Montreal. I for sure don't want that. V. Mete will be intriguing to watch. I'm stoked to see his performance!

I like what we have in terms of complementary talent. We have some really good names to surround legit top tier talent. We absolutely must suck the next two years for at least 2 more top picks.

I like a lot of our prospects/younger guys. Lot of good players but we need some truly great players. We're not in that bad a spot really.

Reactions: Benjamin Dobert

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Hopefully Julien actually tries to develop this kid's offensive game, because there is some decent potential there.

Should be a shame to see him rotting away without being given any significant offensive assignments.

Right on...
time to start developing the talents our kids do have instead of trying to develop ones they don't. Great mobility very good vision (instincts) and a decent first pass but no shot.
Strength and fortitude may always remain his Achilles heel.
The jury is still out on whether or not his skill-set can negate the negatives in terms of his D ranking.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He's a smaller Nathan Beaulieu without the attitude/edge, i.e., great skater with a limited offensive game at the NHL level.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Every team can say that honestly...

Some teams have more holes than others. We have two big holes (#1C and a PMD at LD... elite level types). Other teams have the elite level players but lack depth. Compare our team to the Islanders, Sabres, Canes, Panthers. Are we really that much worse in depth?

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
He is much more intelligent than Beaulieu. Superior skating, vision, passing, hands and hockey IQ. Beaulieu is one of the dumbest players in the league.

100% agree.

I hope thought that Mete this year will be more confident with the puck at the offensive zone entrance:

Last year he came in always along the board (left side) . I hope thay he use the center of the ice a lot more and he he could be lethal not just with the puck possession but also as a 3rd or 4th man on the rush

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I believe that Mete can be a good #3 defenseman in this league. I really like him, if he play with Tampa last year = more than 7 points in my mind. He have good potential offensive IMO.

Reactions: DAChampion

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Hopefully he worked on his shot during the off season and has gained some confidence that will allow him to try some things on offense. One of the best skaters on the whole team, tbh I think a year in the AHL would be best for him.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He is much more intelligent than Beaulieu. Superior skating, vision, passing, hands and hockey IQ. Beaulieu is one of the dumbest players in the league.
Then why was Beaulieu taken 17th overall, and Mete in the 4th round? If he was all that, surely he would have been taken higher? Seems like there's a tint to your glasses.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Then why was Beaulieu taken 17th overall, and Mete in the 4th round? If he was all that, surely he would have been taken higher? Seems like there's a tint to your glasses.

I don't agree with the poster saying mettes tools are all better than beaulieu's but Your draft position argument is such garbage

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Pretty garbage argument given that many gems can be found in later rounds and players evolve and get better over time but the answer to this is: Mete is a 5’9 defenseman.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Beaulieu was dumb as hell right from the start. If anybody looked at Mete's performance at the WJC and is not thrilled with having that guy...well I don't what it'll take to please you. He's going to be a great player.

Reactions: Deebs

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
He needs a better shot, so he should be blasting thousands of pucks over the summer and at least checking in with a competent eye every now and then to make sure he gets the right mechanics.

Otherwise he has the qualities to be a no.3D which would be so needed and a big homerun from a 4th rounder. Would be sweet to have a solid future 2nd pair of him and Juulsen.

Reactions: schnapshot

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don't agree with the poster saying mettes tools are all better than beaulieu's but Your draft position argument is such garbage
How is that garbage? I'm saying that if Mete was visibly that much better in so many areas than a 1st round calibre prospect like Beaulieu was, he would have been drafted earlier. It's pretty straight forward. He's 20. He could not have improved that much since being drafted. The other poster is just being a homer/exaggerating about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad