Player Discussion Victor Mete

The best thing to do for his development?

• Bring him to London

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Bring him back with the first team

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm still seeing good things from him. I don't know why people are prematurely writing him off. He's 20 ffs. I wouldn't object to maybe some AHL time where he'd likely dominate. I'm definitely not watching him super close but he's made some nice things happen offensively. I'm sure as he matures he'll do that with more consistency. Patience.

How's he doing defensively? I feel like I see him outmatched the odd time but it doesn't seem like a huge red flag. Anyone watching him more diligently on that end?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm still seeing good things from him. I don't know why people are prematurely writing him off. He's 20 ffs. I wouldn't object to maybe some AHL time where he'd likely dominate. I'm definitely not watching him super close but he's made some nice things happen offensively. I'm sure as he matures he'll do that with more consistency. Patience.

How's he doing defensively? I feel like I see him outmatched the odd time but it doesn't seem like a huge red flag. Anyone watching him more diligently on that end?

I know I wanted him in the AHL to work on his offensive game, he's been on the top pairing at times in the last 2 seasons so he's got to produce at a decent clip as you have to have your top pairing D's putting up some pts if you want to be a contender or you have really sick players at other positions. So far he's not had a single point this year, only 7 in 49 last year. So the fear is that the lack of production will impact his confidence and could lead to him to not develop that part of his game as well as hoped.

In his own end this year he hasn't been as good as I had hoped since that's his strength vs his offensive game.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I know I wanted him in the AHL to work on his offensive game, he's been on the top pairing at times in the last 2 seasons so he's got to produce at a decent clip as you have to have your top pairing D's putting up some pts if you want to be a contender or you have really sick players at other positions. So far he's not had a single point this year, only 7 in 49 last year. So the fear is that the lack of production will impact his confidence and could lead to him to not develop that part of his game as well as hoped.

In his own end this year he hasn't been as good as I had hoped since that's his strength vs his offensive game.
Odd man out tonight because his play has been pretty average. I really want him running the PP in Laval for 20-25 games. Let’s stop the insanity and develop him properly.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Mete should have started in the AHL, Byron should have been traded to make space for DLR or Scherbak. Different season same shit as before with Bergevin.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Mete should have started in the AHL, Byron should have been traded to make space for DLR or Scherbak. Different season same **** as before with Bergevin.

In what world do you trade byron yo make room for dlr? I know people want to lose, but that's a no upside move. DLR was never going to be more than a fourth liner and he would just be blocking young guys with potential from getting a shot

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Byron has proven more offensively and has shown way more heart than JDLR or Scherbak ever have on this team...
Maybe it is the organization's fault if when players first stint in the NHL is good to then, regresses every seasons, same applies to McCarron, Glachenyuk, Scherbak...
I dont find drafting to be that good either. Bergevin is relying way too much on ifs.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

If we were not desperate last year, despite Mete's good play, would he have really made the team ?

This guy has ability and speed. But he is small and not built like a firehydrant like Cubes. Mete does not play a meaningful role in the NHL unless he can produce offence and points, and so far that has been really lacking.

He needs to be sent down and the sooner the better so he can work on his offensive game especially, but also overall game. Otherwise his upside is the mobile D man in the bottom pairing. And he would be the best example of rushing a kid to the NHL we would have to point at. You know, how can a kid make the team at 19 and end up being a bottom pair guy, that just doesn't square up. Only answer is messed up his development.

Send him down.

Reactions: montreal

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I really don't get the hate on Mete. He is a fantastic defender. Amazing feet, very good stick, good instincts, passing ability, very little hesitation in his game. He'll game overmatched physically but he will overcome this by good positioning. He's been asked to do a lot in his first 2 yrs and he'll continue to get better. He may have a rough game, period, or shift here or there but name my a D man who doesn't. He's absolutely a top 4 lock for us for years to come.

Not against him going down where he'll work more with Boucher but I don't see it happening. He's already our 2-3rd best d man until Weber comes back.

His offense will come but IMO it's more about how the team uses him and how players recognize what he can do. Almost every pass he gets is behind him because no one realizes how fast he is still somehow. He has such good crossovers in his backwards to forwards pivot that he would have created many more chances through the neutral zone if he was properly led with a pass. Instead, the puck goes behind him and that explosive pivot is killed and all he can do is dump it in or throw it back.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I don't think it's a coincidence that Mete's play started to decline just as he started to play with Petry. Mete and Juulsen were a good fit together where Noah provided the stability Mete needs to be involved in the offensive side of things. Petry is a whole other type of player who is getting pretty involved in the offence himself. I don't think they're a good fit together.

Reactions: Mrb1p

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I’m a bit concern about Mete. He skates very well but when he has the puck, it looks like he doesn’t know what to do or he’s rushing it and throwing the puck all over. Maybe it’s nerves or lack of hockey sense? Some guys can skate like the wind but doesn’t have hockey sense.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Why are people panicking over Mete's lack of points? I am not saying he's even in the same category as him, but Hedman only had 69 points in his 3 full first NHL season. I think he is doing very fine right now. Mete has all the good tools to be a good efficient number 3 (Lightning fast, good first pass and very good stick and alright positioning for a very young D). Points will come, but he will be a very good defender, regardless if he becomes a Rafalski or just a 25 points reliable D.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Why are people panicking over Mete's lack of points? I am not saying he's even in the same category as him, but Hedman only had 69 points in his 3 full first NHL season. I think he is doing very fine right now. Mete has all the good tools to be a good efficient number 3 (Lightning fast, good first pass and very good stick and alright positioning for a very young D). Points will come, but he will be a very good defender, regardless if he becomes a Rafalski or just a 25 points reliable D.

Hedman put up 69 pts in 224 games in his first 3 years. That's a .31 ppg which over 82 games is just about 26 pts. Mete in 66 games so far has a .15 ppg, which over 82 games is 12 pts. Big difference. If Mete were producing at around a 20+ pt pace it would look much better. Producing at a .15 ppg is not what you want for a top 4 D on a contending team imo unless you have a really strong top 3. Many posters have said they would have preferred Mete play in the AHL to work on his offensive game and fear that being rushed to the NHL will limit his upside for when we are a contender.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad