Player Discussion Victor Mete

The best thing to do for his development?

• Bring him to London

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Bring him back with the first team

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Trade him while his stock is high in a package deal with 67, and 2nd's for a top 5 pick.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Trade him while his stock is high in a package deal with 67, and 2nd's for a top 5 pick.

"Mete bottes de cowboy mon Victor, you're going to Nashville"

I hope a decent PMD is coming this way if Mete leaves. Would prefer he stays for 2nd/3rd pairing, PP2 duties.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Why? What's left for him there? He's not going to Olympics so no need to send him. He's already played 3 full seasons there and has won a Memorial Cup. So why go back to Juniors and do what there?

work on his offensive game, get stronger. I hate rushing prospects to the NHL and the Habs seem hell bent on doing so. At least he wouldn't have to be apart of this mess either.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
work on his offensive game, get stronger. I hate rushing prospects to the NHL and the Habs seem hell bent on doing so. At least he wouldn't have to be apart of this mess either.

I'd rather he stick around here, be given more ice time and responsibilities. His offensive game won't improve in Juniors because he'll be facing 17-18 year olds. So his offensive game will be fine but not really get challenged.

Next year, he's eligible to go to Laval. So he can be sent there to work on his offensive game while playing against professionals.

Reactions: dralaf

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'd rather he stick around here, be given more ice time and responsibilities. His offensive game won't improve in Juniors because he'll be facing 17-18 year olds. So his offensive game will be fine but not really get challenged.

Next year, he's eligible to go to Laval. So he can be sent there to work on his offensive game while playing against professionals.

He certainly can improve his offensive game in the OHL playing a ton. It's really hard to say at this point if his offensive game will be fine or not.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He certainly can improve his offensive game in the OHL playing a ton. It's really hard to say at this point if his offensive game will be fine or not.

I don't think he's got much to learn or work on in 30 OHL games that he can't learn or work on in near-40 NHL games.

I wouldn't be upset if they do end up sending him there. I just don't think it would help him as much as actual NHL experience.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I agree but unless Clode sets the kid free how will he improve? Have him play with Weber assuming he comes back and give him the green light to just go!!

LeBrun the other night on Insider Trading spoke about this. He said that management sat with the coaching staff to let them know that if they bring him back to Habs, his role needs to go back to how it was at the start of the season and not how it was just before they sent him to the WJC. Hopefully that is true.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
LeBrun the other night on Insider Trading spoke about this. He said that management sat with the coaching staff to let them know that if they bring him back to Habs, his role needs to go back to how it was at the start of the season and not how it was just before they sent him to the WJC. Hopefully that is true.

Thatd be amazing. Was it speculations from Lebrun or actual reports?

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

He'll be given more ice time by sticking around? What the f***. If he was actually playing I'd be fine with it but not if he's getting 10-12 minutes a night.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think he's got much to learn or work on in 30 OHL games that he can't learn or work on in near-40 NHL games.

I wouldn't be upset if they do end up sending him there. I just don't think it would help him as much as actual NHL experience.

Even if that were true, a major boost in confidence playing around 30 minutes a night in the OHL and doing great vs seeing the Habs struggle to score more then 1 goal a game might be better for him. I just am not a fan of 19 year olds in the NHL unless they are dominate at the junior or other league first. To me it's a risk that has bit us over and over. If they keep him up then I hope it goes well and he turns into something special for us in time.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Even if that were true, a major boost in confidence playing around 30 minutes a night in the OHL and doing great vs seeing the Habs struggle to score more then 1 goal a game might be better for him. I just am not a fan of 19 year olds in the NHL unless they are dominate at the junior or other league first. To me it's a risk that has bit us over and over. If they keep him up then I hope it goes well and he turns into something special for us in time.

I'll be worried about his confidence when I see him no longer join the rush, go deep into the offensive zone, carry the puck out of the defensive zone, and give the puck away as soon as he touches it (off the glass and out as his only go-to option). So far, even when his ice time was limited, he was playing like Victor Mete in the NHL instead of Victor Mete trying not to be sent back down.

I'm also conservative in giving the kids time to grow. I've been a proponent for keeping Scherbak in Laval all year or as long as possible. What makes Mete my exception to prefer him remaining in the NHL is that he can be sent to Laval next year. Which means he will only be playing against pros from here on out.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'll be worried about his confidence when I see him no longer join the rush, go deep into the offensive zone, carry the puck out of the defensive zone, and give the puck away as soon as he touches it (off the glass and out as his only go-to option). So far, even when his ice time was limited, he was playing like Victor Mete in the NHL instead of Victor Mete trying not to be sent back down.

I'm also conservative in giving the kids time to grow. I've been a proponent for keeping Scherbak in Laval all year or as long as possible. What makes Mete my exception to prefer him remaining in the NHL is that he can be sent to Laval next year. Which means he will only be playing against pros from here on out.

He didn't seem to playing nearly as well towards the end although the cut in ice time hurt. We don't know what impact it had on but at the end in his last 19 games he had only 2 pts and that could very well mess with a kids confidence. To me hockey is so much mental that I don't like risking messing with their confidence unless they are just too good to send back. We don't know what the future holds for him or where he would be better served to develop at this point, my only hope is that they don't screw it up as they have with others. We need him to be a 20-30 pt D at the least imo.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
A small progression for him with his speed of execution in the construction for multiple play plus taking more and more the initiative to shoot (one on the goal of patches and one or two other shots). Victor was the strongest defenders yesterday. During the overtime, he kept his cold blood by putting in his pocket one of the Bruins strikers who could have scored the winning goal. Nonetheless, a little bit generous by passing the puck to his captain in a situation of 2 against one. By the way, his mother lives with him and the education he received from his parents make me have nothing to worry about for his development. Stay as you are, working hard in the short and long term is the road of success.

Reactions: Nedved

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
As long as Mete can play 17, 18 minutes a night and not look out of place, he should be fine in the NHL.

There aren't questions about his skating or hockey sense, we just need to see if he can handle NHL size players on the forecheck and in front of the net.

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
He played 17 minutes on Friday. He has quick, he was smart and he pinched when he could. He played exactly like Krug did for Boston on the other side. For a 19 year old, we have ourselves a player fellas. However, this team needs to start developing these kids more and stop worrying about winning games at all cost. Playing Plekanec`s line over Drouin's will not win you hockey games ( even if Gallagher is carrying that line on his own).

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
He played 17 minutes on Friday. He has quick, he was smart and he pinched when he could. He played exactly like Krug did for Boston on the other side. For a 19 year old, we have ourselves a player fellas. However, this team needs to start developing these kids more and stop worrying about winning games at all cost. Playing Plekanec`s line over Drouin's will not win you hockey games ( even if Gallagher is carrying that line on his own).

I'm liking Mete, Jerabek, and Juulsen. Plus the past two drafts, aside from Mete and Sergachev, we've drafted 6 other dmen (Brook, Walford, Fleury, Tyszka, Staum, Henrikson). So if one of those 6 makes it, we're not in as bad shape on the back end as it might look. And there's still a chance Lernout gets it together. And Timmins has consistently drafted top pairing dmen (Subban, McDonagh, Sergachev, Streit, Mete?) so he should bring in another one shortly.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I'm liking Mete, Jerabek, and Juulsen. Plus the past two drafts, aside from Mete and Sergachev, we've drafted 6 other dmen (Brook, Walford, Fleury, Tyszka, Staum, Henrikson). So if one of those 6 makes it, we're not in as bad shape on the back end as it might look. And there's still a chance Lernout gets it together. And Timmins has consistently drafted top pairing dmen (Subban, McDonagh, Sergachev, Streit, Mete?) so he should bring in another one shortly.
You can pretty much remove Staum and Henrikson as solid prospects so basically we have 4D who could make it, Brook being a good possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad