Player Discussion Victor Mete

The best thing to do for his development?

• Bring him to London

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Bring him back with the first team

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I don't put any stock into plus/minus, but the kid being plus 7 on a team that sucks at scoring goals and has been a disaster defensively is pretty impressive. I don't have any issues with him spending the rest of the regular season with the big club as long as he plays quality minutes, he looked excellent on Saturday and he's such a smart player for a 19 year old.

Given there is likely no chance we can trade Alzner, I hope we can trade Benn at the deadline so guys like Jerabek/Mete can play more minutes.. I actually like Benn, but given his solid contract for next year he could be an intriguing option for a playoff team looking for depth on D.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
As long as we keep pushing him to make plays offensively, we can keep him up. My big fear with him is that he end us becoming a survivor type, a guy who plays just to survive in the league. He knows he can survive in the league if he plays a certain way, but what we need is for him to try and dominate.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I don't put any stock into plus/minus, but the kid being plus 7 on a team that sucks at scoring goals and has been a disaster defensively is pretty impressive. I don't have any issues with him spending the rest of the regular season with the big club as long as he plays quality minutes, he looked excellent on Saturday and he's such a smart player for a 19 year old.

Given there is likely no chance we can trade Alzner, I hope we can trade Benn at the deadline so guys like Jerabek/Mete can play more minutes.. I actually like Benn, but given his solid contract for next year he could be an intriguing option for a playoff team looking for depth on D.

I still wonder if a team looking to make a playoff run and needing help on d would take Alzner. Probably not, but it's one of the first moves I'd be looking to make if I were MB.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I still wonder if a team looking to make a playoff run and needing help on d would take Alzner. Probably not, but it's one of the first moves I'd be looking to make if I were MB.

I agree, but obviously the contract limits the number of suitors.

I do worry that MB is prideful and wouldn’t pull the trigger on such a move.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

Bergevin traded Erik Cole when he wasn't working out, after having recently signed him. And, at his recent press conference he said he did make some mistakes, and some players were not playing as expected. I don't think anyone would be upset with him for trading Alzner.

But Bergevin always disappoints me, he probably thinks drafting Galchenyuk was one of his biggest mistakes.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Bergevin traded Erik Cole when he wasn't working out, after having recently signed him. And, at his recent press conference he said he did make some mistakes, and some players were not playing as expected. I don't think anyone would be upset with him for trading Alzner.

But Bergevin always disappoints me, he probably thinks drafting Galchenyuk was one of his biggest mistakes.

You got my hopes up with your first paragraph, then crushed me with the second.

I think he would be willing to trade Alzner but I doubt he is willing to retain any salary. That would be a very obvious avowal of failure.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

People need to keep in mind MB likes to pay a bit more in order to avoid no trade clauses. The purpose for this, is it always allows you to trade out of misfit signings. Alzner has not been as bad as many here say, and I think a contender would like to have a guy like him. I do think we could get something pretty decent for him.

Reactions: Tighthead

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
People need to keep in mind MB likes to pay a bit more in order to avoid no trade clauses. The purpose for this, is it always allows you to trade out of misfit signings. Alzner has not been as bad as many here say, and I think a contender would like to have a guy like him. I do think we could get something pretty decent for him.

I will give credit on that.

When I lived in Vancouver I saw Gillis extend several players on favourable terms, in part because he gave them NTC. You should really only do that for the elite players, especially on longer term deals. It ended up handcuffing them.

In the long term it’s less costly to pay more and not be locked down.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

I think the fact that we're a team that we all think has a horrendous dcore (see the rate our dcore thread, the average is a 3/10) and we all want Alzner gone speaks to Alzner's true value.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think the fact that we're a team that we all think has a horrendous dcore (see the rate our dcore thread, the average is a 3/10) and we all want Alzner gone speaks to Alzner's true value.
Guys like him are always sought after come playoffs...

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Guys like him are always sought after come playoffs...
Not when they have that much term and that AAV.

If Alzner was a UFA to be this year then yeah we could get a 2nd + b-c prospect I think.

With his term he's Untradable except if you take a Guy like Beleksey back or something like that

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
At his salary and length of contract. Can you think of any examples? (I'm hoping you can).
The guy is 29, not like he's 35 with 4 years left. I'm not saying we'd get anything amazing for him, but he's definitely movable. I imagine a young team with cap space and difficulty attracting Free Agents would certainly be interested... and considering he's not expiring, it wouldn't have to be a team firmly in the playoffs either...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think only way someone takes him is if

1) Habs retain a part of his salary.l for the remainder his deal.

2) Habs get an equally bad contract in return.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
In my opinion, Mete is going to be a Shayne Gostisbehere 2.0. He got a big potential offensive. No doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad