Player Discussion Victor Mete

The best thing to do for his development?

• Bring him to London

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Bring him back with the first team

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Victor Mete will be one of our most used defenceman (around 18-20 min a night) by the end of the season. You can quote me on that. I'm pretty happy about the decision, I'm not worried about him. He's a NHLer.

Olympics will be fun to watch but it will be a bunch of washed up players and amateurs. Let's keep him playing against toughest competition.

He was struggling mightily at this level just a month ago. Look at how much plugging Drouin in a position he’s not good enough to play on a regular has done for him. We’re taking a stupid risk here. Let him have one more learning year.

Reactions: Habset
Aug 25, 2009
éal
He was struggling mightily at this level just a month ago. Look at how much plugging Drouin in a position he’s not good enough to play on a regular has done for him. We’re taking a stupid risk here. Let him have one more learning year.
I see your point and I agree the past few weeks with the team was hard for him, but I dont think we should compare Drouin and Mete situations. Drouin is pure incompetence from management and this is coming from Bergevin, I think Julien can handle Mete minutes well. He has done well with 19-20-21 years old player in the past.

Puck Luck Run Amok

Oct 26, 2012
The void
Latendresse 2.0

Guy with tons of potential that's about to be squandered by a terrible manager and possibly the worst ownership group in the NHL. Screw this team. Anyone who pays to go to their games is complicit.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I see your point and I agree the past few weeks with the team was hard for him, but I dont think we should compare Drouin and Mete situations. Drouin is pure incompetence from management and this is coming from Bergevin, I think Julien can handle Mete minutes well. He has done well with 19-20-21 years old player in the past.

With Sergachev gone, I’m just concerned of messing up his development because an important building block. The reason Mete is coming back is due to the incompetence of the management that you talked about. Our D corps is awful and the team just as bad. There’s no way to slowly get him into a rhythm at this level as he’s probably already the most skilled D man outside of Weber. If we’re bringing him up, I hope he’s handled a lot better then he was in 2017 and they treat him like a kid who needs to learn how to play the pro game.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He'll still be loaned out for the Olympics if they ask for him, and he could be sent down for a Memorial Cup run at the last second anyhow, no?

Reactions: get25

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
He'll still be loaned out for the Olympics if they ask for him, and he could be sent down for a Memorial Cup run at the last second anyhow, no?
He needs to be in Junior to be able to be loaned to Olympics as NO NHL player can go to Olympics .

I don't know why he does not go down and goes to Olympics and a chance for Memorial Cup .
Who is going to teach him D at NHL .... Alzner ? Morrow ? lol I mean Petry but meh

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
Latendresse 2.0

Guy with tons of potential that's about to be squandered by a terrible manager and possibly the worst ownership group in the NHL. Screw this team. Anyone who pays to go to their games is complicit.

Latendresse was simply too slow to compete at the NHL level.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Subban never weighed more than 210 Im pretty sure and he was much better when he was slimer.
I seem to remember him and Pacioretty showing up at 220 after the lockout, Eller around 215. But looking it up the highest I've seen is at 214 lbs in 2015.

Likrd him more too when he was slimer as he was more dynamic offensively, as good as he is he never reached his full potential.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Victor Mete will be one of our most used defenceman (around 18-20 min a night) by the end of the season.

According to my calculations, you can not be one of the most used defenseman of a team by playing 18-20 minutes since an average D-man plays around 20 minutes in a 60 minute game (except when there are a lot of PP and coach decides to play 4 F)

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
That's it it's official. He's going to back with us. Earnestly , which of the two options in the poll (and why) is the decision that you'll made instead of Bergy " the ex NHL all-star defender of his generation".

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Because he couldn't develop his speed at a lower level. Hindering development; it's the Canadien way

Allow them to fine tune their skills a level they can afford to improving specific sources of their game without worrying about being benched for a rookie mistake? Nah, they are good enough to be a fringe NHLer therefore should be in NHL.

Reactions: Puck Luck Run Amok

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I believe the IIHF (or Hockey Canada, specifically) said that they will sit with the CHL after the WJC in order to decide if they'd let CHL players participate. There obviously hasn't been a decision made as the WJC ended two nights ago. If they agree to allow players from Junior to participate, and Habs will be told that Mete will make the roster, they will surely send him down to Juniors. Sean Burke, who is running Team Canada for the Olympics is also a scout for the Canadiens. So if Mete has a chance to make the Olympic squad, Bergevin will be the first to know. Until that decision is made, Mete has nothing to learn at Juniors.

Even if he plays 10 minutes a game in the NHL against the very best in the world (even if he's a healthy scratch here and there) it will be a lot more of a learning experience than playing against 17 and 18 year olds in the OHL. He's already played 3 full seasons there and has won a Memorial Cup. There is nothing left for him at Juniors.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Bad move.

Just like Galchenyuk should have been returned to junior to work on his overall game so should Mete.

Only rationale is dummy still thinks we can make the post season and we are better with Mete than without.

Awful.

Reactions: Puck Luck Run Amok

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Latendresse was simply too slow to compete at the NHL level.

I disagree. Latendresse was good, he just got too many concussions. And that might be due to him playing in the NHL too early. He had his head down a lot when he skated with the puck.

I saw an episode on Anti-chambre once where he said the last couple years of his career he was playing even though he still had post-concussion symptoms. He said he felt he had to risk losing his place on the team. But he said it was (obviously) hard to play like that. And he ended up retiring young to not risk his health. He spoke about the constant vomiting, problems with light, headaches, balance issues, etc...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Bad move.

Just like Galchenyuk should have been returned to junior to work on his overall game so should Mete.

Only rationale is dummy still thinks we can make the post season and we are better with Mete than without.

Awful.

What does Mete stand to gain from going back to Juniors for 30 games? Nothing replaces actual NHL experience, even with limited ice time. And it's not like they are depriving him of any Junior experience. He's played 3 full seasons there already and has won a Memorial Cup. The ONLY reason that makes sense for him to go back to Junior is if he is 100% guaranteed a spot on the Olympic roster. Other than that, Mete's got nothing to learn there.

Reactions: ginomini

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
I would rather see him go to the Olympics than learn how to lose on the big team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad