Rumor: Victor Mete + Paul Byron on the block

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
montreal just had a nightmare of an off-season and jettisoned all the cap space into the orbit. mete signed his contract just on the 9th of october and now needs to be moved? :huh:
here the summary of bergevin's work:
- paid a 3rd and 7th for allen, a contract stl probably would have paid to dump later on
- paid a 5th for the ufa rights of edmundson
- extended edmundson for 4yrs/3.5m and handing out a m-ntc and a bonus structure, which makes a buy out less attractive
- extended petry for 4yrs/6.25m although he was signed for another season
- traded rfa rights of domi and 3rd for the rfa rights of anderson
- extended anderson for 7yrs/5.5m and handing out a m-ntc
- extended mete for 1yr/735k
- signed toffoli for 4yrs/4.25m

toffoli is clearly the best value here. seems bergevin had zero handle on the new financial environment. overpaying in every early move and now lacking the cap space to profit from a buyers market. just horrible work.

if i was a canadiens fans i would be furious. :nod:
I couldn’t be happier myself . The Habs blue line e is quickly becoming the wall of pain and we have more size and scoring up front . Solid backup . There is literally hundreds of posts over the years of Anderson to the leafs and even bruins fans have admitted they wish they had him .

Reactions: Hockey Stick

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
you do realize we are 300k over the cap so yes replacing 1 or 2 of byron, kulak and weal by entry level/close to league min contrats do it

and I really doubt that Byron doesn't get claimed on waivers, he's not garbage, yes 3 years is a long time but 3.4M for a 30 points elite defensive foward is good value. He's probably no longer a 20 goals scorer but he's still a very valuable player

our roster is also at 22 players so we're more than 1M over the cap.

BTW if Bergevin would have buried Alzner. That would have saved about 400k$ for this year. Just saying.(3.95M on cap this year instead of 3.55M)

He also couldn't get the Blues to retain on Allen when their was ton of goalies UFA who sign for less than Allen and didn't cost a 3rd.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
What happened with Mete exactly? The Habs seemed to high on him.

It is indeed interesting.

Skates like the wind, strong positioning and passing.

Gets ragdolled when trying to actually defend, has the weakest shot I've seen from an NHL regular and cannot quarterback the PP despite the passing & positioning thing mentioned above.

Some Habs fans are still high on him but a lot aren't. Most of us when looking at the left side are a lot more excited about what Romanov, Norlinder, Struble and Guhle will be able to do in the 2020's. Even Harris has an outside shot of making it.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

He just never really got any better. He had a really promising rookie season at 19. The problem is he only got better defensively and never put up more offense like most of us (including habs management) expected. It looks like he is just one of those players who when he joined the league at 19 was already 85% of who he was.

We thought he was closer to half or 60%.

So I guess his problem is he is still just a decent smaller bottom pairing guy.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Montreal will only trade Byron, Mete if they get the deal they want .
Bergevin will but Weal on waivers if claimed Montreal will be 1,046,209 under the cap if he's not claimed he'll be sent to the AHL and Montreal will be 721,191 under the cap.
If needing more cap space he will do the same with Ouellet.
Montreal are under no pressure to trade Byron, Mete.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
montreal just had a nightmare of an off-season and jettisoned all the cap space into the orbit. mete signed his contract just on the 9th of october and now needs to be moved? :huh:
here the summary of bergevin's work:
- paid a 3rd and 7th for allen, a contract stl probably would have paid to dump later on
- paid a 5th for the ufa rights of edmundson
- extended edmundson for 4yrs/3.5m and handing out a m-ntc and a bonus structure, which makes a buy out less attractive
- extended petry for 4yrs/6.25m although he was signed for another season
- traded rfa rights of domi and 3rd for the rfa rights of anderson
- extended anderson for 7yrs/5.5m and handing out a m-ntc
- extended mete for 1yr/735k
- signed toffoli for 4yrs/4.25m

toffoli is clearly the best value here. seems bergevin had zero handle on the new financial environment. overpaying in every early move and now lacking the cap space to profit from a buyers market. just horrible work.

if i was a canadiens fans i would be furious. :nod:

A nightmare of an off-season? I think he had - by far - his best off-season as General Manager of the Canadiens.

For the first time he systematically addressed the teams needs one after the other.

The Canadiens needed to get bigger, tougher, add some offense and address their back up goaltending.

Bergevin was able to do all of that.

The only move I question, at all, was Jake Allen. I think Allen absolutely addresses their back up goaltending issue, but at the size of his cap hit, I think the price should have been lower or they should have tried to find an option in the free agent pile that wouldn't require quite as much cap.

But suggesting Canadiens fans should be furious is absurd. Every issue on the roster that needed improvement he's managed to do.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Never understood why Byron got as much term as he did. Think he has negative value despite his production last few years.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

I think the hope was he could develop his offence and become a Torey Krug type. Hindsight is 20/20, but he would have been better off staying another year in junior and at least a season in the AHL playing big minutes and developing an all round game like Krug was able to. The habs buggered up his development.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
A nightmare of an off-season? I think he had - by far - his best off-season as General Manager of the Canadiens.

For the first time he systematically addressed the teams needs one after the other.

The Canadiens needed to get bigger, tougher, add some offense and address their back up goaltending.

Bergevin was able to do all of that.

The only move I question, at all, was Jake Allen. I think Allen absolutely addresses their back up goaltending issue, but at the size of his cap hit, I think the price should have been lower or they should have tried to find an option in the free agent pile that wouldn't require quite as much cap.

But suggesting Canadiens fans should be furious is absurd. Every issue on the roster that needed improvement he's managed to do.
the only problem is, if he was successful (i have my doubts) and montreal seriously improves, he won't have the cap space to keep the team together and i can assure you, the bad contracts won't be a joy to move next off-season. the price for cap space will only increase, guarantee.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I agree there is no panic to trade Byron or mete . There is no panic to do anything really . Bergevin got a quality backup . More size and physicality for the backend . Decent size and scoring up front which gives us great depth . Sometimes doing any more than that may be disruptive to . Moving forward even with the added size consider this ...

gallagher 5-9 184 lbs
Byron 5-9 158 lbs
Lekonen 6.0 176 lbs.
Weal 5-10 180
Mete 5.9 187

25% of our current roster is on average less than 5-10 and 177 lbs . Of these five , the first two tweaks I would go with would be try trading weal for a 7th ( bring in poehling’s size and speed) and as good as Byron is , his 3.4 million sure would be great to have at the trade deadline .

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I agree there is no panic to trade Byron or mete . There is no panic to do anything really . Bergevin got a quality backup . More size and physicality for the backend . Decent size and scoring up front which gives us great depth . Sometimes doing any more than that may be disruptive to . Moving forward even with the added size consider this ...

gallagher 5-9 184 lbs
Byron 5-9 158 lbs
Lekonen 6.0 176 lbs.
Weal 5-10 180
Mete 5.9 187

25% of our current roster is on average less than 5-10 and 177 lbs . Of these five , the first two tweaks I would go with would be try trading weal for a 7th ( bring in poehling’s size and speed) and as good as Byron is , his 3.4 million sure would be great to have at the trade deadline .

I believe Byron will be traded in the next few days and Weal is our 13th forward so does he really count?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I believe Byron will be traded in the next few days and Weal is our 13th forward so does he really count?
I think Byron will be a tough sell at 3.4 . I think a team like new jersey or LA might consider something like Byron and a 2021 third in exchange for a 2022 6th . Maybe it wouldn’t take that much but 3.4 million in cap space seems more valuable at the moment . Even weal and a 2021 fifth for a 2022 7th I’d do . That would be a total of 4.8 in cap space plus two contract slots for a third and a fifth next year . We’d still have two each of those .

Kingbobert

Jul 15, 2005
Montreal
Not even close IMO...
I doubt that at this point Killorn has positive value and he is >>>>> Byron IMO...
Mete does not really move the needle for anyone I would assume either...
Mete is good depth...or AHL fodder...only 735k too...easily buried
Byron, tbh, will be tougher to move, but if a team needs somoene in their bottom 6 who is excellent on the PK and good defensively, he'll fit in

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
our roster is also at 22 players so we're more than 1M over the cap.

BTW if Bergevin would have buried Alzner. That would have saved about 400k$ for this year. Just saying.(3.95M on cap this year instead of 3.55M)

He also couldn't get the Blues to retain on Allen when their was ton of goalies UFA who sign for less than Allen and didn't cost a 3rd.
That is true with alzner but the benefits of the buyout are most helpful next year

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
haha you are crazy, Harris is a top prospect for the Habs, some rank him the Habs best D prospect

So ahead of Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Fleury and Brook? How many of us is that? I agree Harris is a very 'complete' D but also believe putting him at the top is a reach.

Romanov doesn't have an NHL game to his record yet, and Norlinder looks like he has higher end tools in the toolbox than Harris.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
So ahead of Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Fleury and Brook? How many of us is that? I agree Harris is a very 'complete' D but also believe putting him at the top is a reach.

Romanov doesn't have an NHL game to his record yet, and Norlinder looks like he has higher end tools in the toolbox than Harris.
regardless of your opinion, he's not being attached as a sweetener to byron. that's idiotic

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal

Harris' stock increased allot last year while Fleury and Brook kind of decreased. I would rank Harris behind Romanov and Norlinder. Harris played a top role for the US in the u-20 world cup and was the most or second used D on Northwestern with an average of 27 min per night.

From an interview with his coach:
Madigan estimates Harris will soon arrive on the NHL scene and eventually develop into a top-four defenceman — certainly on the basis of his sound defence and his fluidity, but also on the strength of his character.
"High-end character," Madigan says. "He just does all the right things. He’s a mature kid. He’s a serious kid. He’s a focused kid. He’s a very quiet kid. There’s a confidence to him. There’s humility to him. He’s not a kid who’s ever going to have diarrhea of the mouth, because that’s not him. He’s not going to be up there yelling and screaming.
"But he is so driven to be good. He works at his game on and off the ice. He’s got tremendous character. He comes from a father that played the game as a goaltender at the collegiate level, so he’s been around hockey a long time, and Jordan is just a delight and a joy to coach."
If you want a sense for how in-tune Madigan is with his players, off the top of his head he precisely notes he played Harris an average of 27:07 per game this past season.

Five intriguing Canadiens prospects: Struble, Harris 'will be good NHL players' - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: Roadhouse

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3