Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part III

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Yeah and Mete is only one of the best skater in the NHL... Lmao. Bouillon was good, so was Mike Weaver, and so many others. Mete is good, both stats and the eye-test confirm this

Yeah, good but, not top-4 D good and certainly not unbeatable by other prospects rising through the ranks.

A third pairing, for now, of Mete- Juulsen is awesome, if Romanov can quickly play a 2nd pairing role alongside Petry. If not, Mete is a better than nothing option playing above his head as a top-4 D.

Nobody denies Mete is a great skater but, he's not physical enough to only not be a defensive liability beyond his skating.

How that is difficult to grasp astounds me. He skates really well.

Does he win one on one battles in front of his net?

No.

Is he a great playmaker in the O-zone?

No.

Does he make good stretch passes?

No.

Does he have a good shot?

No.

Oh, yeah, he skates really well, though.

To be fair, he's at least got an active stick when battling for pucks along the boards. He's a + defenseman but, along with the skating, that's it. He needs to be much better at all the other skills or elite in at least another. I'd be happy with elite playmaking so he could be an asset on the PP.

Mete is a great third pairing D

Last edited:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Woodbridge is his hometown. So I guess Mete is back to Montreal :thumbu:

upload_2020-7-5_12-49-30.png

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With camps officially starting next Monday, and reading/hearing that those who come from out of town will need to quarantine for 7 days, then most who haven't made their way already should be in by tomorrow.

So I imagine we will be getting some of these guys confirming their travel to Montreal today.

Jul 6, 2016
The expectations are way too high for this guy drafted in a 4th round and brought up at NHL level way too early. He should had played one more year at OHL evel + 1 to 2 seasons in Laval. Besides his mobility, I don't see anything in him that will keep him at NHL level for long.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The expectations are way too high for this guy drafted in a 4th round and brought up at NHL level way too early. He should had played one more year at OHL evel + 1 to 2 seasons in Laval. Besides his mobility, I don't see anything in him that will keep him at NHL level for long.

It all happened thanks to Schlemko getting hurt on the first day of camp that year. I doubt Habs had any intention of keeping Mete with Montreal. But Schlemko's injury opened the spot. And Mete did earn his spot because of that. If Schlemko was healthy, even if Mete showed great things, I think Montreal was going to send him back to Junior.

Jul 6, 2016
It all happened thanks to Schlemko getting hurt on the first day of camp that year. I doubt Habs had any intention of keeping Mete with Montreal. But Schlemko's injury opened the spot. And Mete did earn his spot because of that. If Schlemko was healthy, even if Mete showed great things, I think Montreal was going to send him back to Junior.

Very possible... But they could had kept someone else or take one from waivers to fill the gap. They burned the kid.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Very possible... But they could had kept someone else or take one from waivers to fill the gap. They burned the kid.

We'll have to look back to 2017 to see if there was any LD available on waivers.

They started that season with Weber, Petry, Benn, Alzner, Streit, and Mete. I believe Morrow was 7th D and a healthy scratch. As you can see, aside from Weber, Petry, and Benn as 3RD, the standards for cracking that LD weren't high.

They did acquire Reilly and Valiev at that year's TDL. But that was long after training camp.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Agree and disagree.

Expectations are way too high but, he,s not useless as a depth D and could be a regular 3rd pairing D with the right partner. He's NHL material, just not top-4 material, IMHO.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'd like to see a Mete Juulsen pairing to see how they would do but not sure if they would try it as they may need Mete to play higher up until we find someone to fill that spot. Assuming 100% health for Juulsen and that he's not impacted from the eye injury.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Mete's development has been fantastic for a 2016 draft 22 year old (June birthday). Look at the data from his peer group: 2016 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com and we'll see very few dmen ahead of him at this point in their careers

Like the kid. Think he's a definite NHLer but, don't see an extremely high ceiling. A good third pairing D that can move the puck up the ice and has an active stick while playing D, despite being too soft for one on one battles in front of the net.

Nothing to build around, let's say...

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Will be interesting to see how he is used in a short series. The playoffs get very physical (normally, don't know about this summer). Dmen especially are targeted, the Islanders 4th line dominated the Pens in their sweep last season by pounding their d. For Mete to have a chance at a long career, believe he will need to get much stronger without losing speed and quickness.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Will be interesting to see how he is used in a short series. The playoffs get very physical (normally, don't know about this summer). Dmen especially are targeted, the Islanders 4th line dominated the Pens in their sweep last season by pounding their d. For Mete to have a chance at a long career, believe he will need to get much stronger without losing speed and quickness.

Francis Bouillon was solid,little offense but carved out a decent t career.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Or at the very least, call up Marc-Andre Bergeron and get him to show Mete his shooting technique. They are the same size, so that power was all in the form.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Or at the very least, call up Marc-Andre Bergeron and get him to show Mete his shooting technique. They are the same size, so that power was all in the form.
Off the top of my head, I legit can't think of a guy in all my years who developed a good shot out of nowhere in the pros. I've seen players with great shot not use them much anymore in the pros ( Yannick Weber comes to mind) but never the other way around.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Off the top of my head, I legit can't think of a guy in all my years who developed a good shot out of nowhere in the pros. I've seen players with great shot not use them much anymore in the pros ( Yannick Weber comes to mind) but never the other way around.

One example is Gallagher, he didn't have much of a shot when drafted but now sometimes catches goalies off guard with wrist shots from the circle. But it's very rare for a player to develop a shot this late. I was just always impressed that MAB could shoot that hard at that size.

Mete will just have to get stronger as it's one thing completely in a person's control.

Reactions: HBDay

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Bergeron already had a hard shot in the Q. He has the tecnique, the strengh... that was his bread and his butter. I never heard these things about mete. I doubt mete can become like bergeron. He should improve his skillset, so his speed and create more offense when he entering in the ozone

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
One example is Gallagher, he didn't have much of a shot when drafted but now sometimes catches goalies off guard with wrist shots from the circle. But it's very rare for a player to develop a shot this late. I was just always impressed that MAB could shoot that hard at that size.

Mete will just have to get stronger as it's one thing completely in a person's control.

Gallagher had 126 goals in 192 games in the dub, followed by 25 goals in his first pro season split between the AHL and NHL. Not that I think he has a great shot or anything but he was always able to put the puck in the net from his age 17 season where he had 41 goals. His goals per game the past few years has ticked up for sure but not by that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad