Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part III

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The thing is, I don't want ghost's 4.5M cap hit on the books. We need that money to either find an upgrade on Chiarot, or sign/re-sign forwards and upgrade Drouin.

I agree with that in terms of cap space and the only way I would make that move is if we can send Byron the other way but also get the Flyers to retain. Byron has been playing better of late so probably a bad time to want to trade him (to some fans) but it's also a good time to capitalize on it. Or we use both Lehkonen and Mete with a 4th to get Ghost with retention (down to Lehkonen/Mete's cap hits).

It's our only real chance at getting a puck mover before this deadline. Not a real attractive move but it's a minor move that might turn good. If not, he takes Mete's role and salary in matches salary out.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ability to get to loose pucks? What’s the advantage there if he’s too weak to clear the puck when someone is on him or he gets pinned to the boards easily by literally any NHL player since he’s weaker than a child?

He’s good at one thing: skating it out when there’s space. That’s it. Otherwise he’s going to lose the battle and get hemmed in his zone.

His speed can and has been used for other things. For example, I remember a couple of times this year when he kept plays alive with his speed and we scored a couple passes later. He doesn't get assists on those plays. But without him, we don't score.

Having said that, no question about it: if he can't defend he shouldn't be on the ice.

Reactions: jaffy27

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I agree with that in terms of cap space and the only way I would make that move is if we can send Byron the other way but also get the Flyers to retain. Byron has been playing better of late so probably a bad time to want to trade him (to some fans) but it's also a good time to capitalize on it.

Definitely a good time to capitalize on it. I would doubt a GM is enamored with him just because of his recent play. But if there is one out there, trade Byron to him! Quickly! We really need that cap space.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
he's clearly more than just a strong skater.... the rico fata's of the world don't get ice time from a CJ type coach.

he's quite good with the puck on his stick and overall hockey iq. that, plus the skating, is why i remain bullish that he will be a late "bloomer" insofar as when the emotional and mental maturity of age/experience catch up to the skill level, he has a good opportunity at being a very good top 4 dman. The shot will likely never be there, but the vision and mobility will allow him to be a very effective player in all 3 phases of the game.

confidence and maturity for a player like that are crucial, and take time to develop... which is why the way they've used him in his career thus far has been so piss poor (even though it started with tons of ice time/opportunity). He should have been kept in the AHL far longer.

At this point, short of a management change and decision to prioritize living with the bumps of his limitations/pairing him with a dman that can offset his weaknesses, moving him is probably the best option. ironically, pairing him with weber and using that as the 3rd pairing (while finding a solid top-4 caliber RHD to play with Romanov) would be probably the best way to maximize both of their current situations.

Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - ???
Mete - Weber

while still lacking elite top-4 ability, with a 3rd pairing that can easily handle 18min/night, we'd have depth few teams could match. not a terrible option imo

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
NHL players nOw are as fast as Mete but bigger and more physical and skilled. Mete’s one trick pony no longer works. He needs to be as fas as Byron to any chance of staying in the league

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Such a waste. Habs seem completely incapable of evaluating defence as anything other than gritty coke machine stuff.

For some reason he got typecast as an "offensive D" who doesn't score so his elite transition play is just completely ignored despite being the #1 thing the team lacks right now.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I think Mete is definitely an NHLer and a potentially solid one. Unfortunately, he seems like a miscast with our current group of blueliners.

The management does not believe he's a fit next to Weber.

They think Petry needs a different type of partner.

He's not good enough to carry a pairing with a rookie, while playing on his off-side.

I was wondering if anyone could provide the following statistics for Mete-Weber and Chiarot-Weber pairings:

Games played, 5-on-5 minutes/game, 5-on-5 GA/60 min., 5-on-5 GF/60 min.

I already posted those on this very thread, just browse back a few pages.

It's complete opposites and widely favors Mete over Chiarot. Long story short, with overall similar minutes, Mete-Weber is +1/60 over Chiarot-Weber, which is massive.

There's a caveat, Mete-Weber were often used with an exploitation line (Domi line), still, the Danault line was also a positive when with Weber-Mete, so it's a split.

Reactions: Archijerej

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Farewell, Victor

Well Detroit wanted Hayden Verbeek instead of Mete. So maybe he clears waivers.

But I suspect some playoff team will pick him up to at least be an 8th dman on their depth chart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad