ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
EcmctotUwAAkheV

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Mete-PressConference(20/07/20)

“Pretty much doing rehab in late March. It went pretty well. I mean I still feel a little bit not as strong as I want to be during the quarantine, but I was able to go workout everyday at the gym. It went much better than I though it gonna be during all that, so it's been good. I've been able to train every single day. I've doing Pilates five times a week as well. For myself, I thought that I was doing what I could to keep in shape and doing all that stuffs. I couldn't get on the ice, there was no ice pads open at all. One week in training camp put me back at the game. The second week now I guess we're in a smaller group so it's a little harder I think. But no I feel great.”

“We're doing the same stuffs pretty much as the full group. We're just two D's tho. We were able to do stuffs together. If got the opportunity to drop in that spot (full group) it's gonna be pretty simple. I was practicing with them the first three weeks and it was pretty smooth. That was after four months break. So I don't think that a one week break will do much...”

“I'd like to play with Petry. Just keeping work hard here and just get ready for the play-in rounds.”

“No I haven't discuss anything as of right now about my next contract. But hopefully we'll see what'll happen.”

Jul 6, 2016
So far, Mete has been lucky to have played at NHL level because Bergevin destroyed the whole left side of his D, three years ago.

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
Mete was rushed in the NHL for lack of depth or talent at LD. He showed slow and steady progression , and still has a lot of room to grow (not height per se but his overall game).

Not a lot of defensemen get to play in the NHL at 19 , but he did well considering. Had his first 4 goals in the NHL this year , he could easily grow to be a mobile top 4 Dmen that gives you 30-40 points playing on a 2nd line of defense with some 2nd PP unit.

He's not bad defensively either , yeah ok he doesn't exactly clear the crease and win every 1 on 1 battle but he cuts passing angles and is positionally sound for the most part.

And that skating is just superb.

Also , when you look at defensemen points , look at who theyre playing with. Cale Makar or Quinn Hugues can essentially pass the puck to Mackinnon/Rantanen , or Pettersson , Mete doesn't have forwards of this caliber to materialise his passes into points.

Ok thats a bit of a cheap argument but , even Hedman had 4 20 points season before become the defensemen he is today, my point is , don't be so quick to trade him out of town to make room for a more established Dmen. I would hate to see him flourish elsewhere. Hell , his ELC is up and he wont be expensive, sign him long for cheap.

We're not winning anytime soon , let the kids grow and be a part of the future.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Mete was rushed in the NHL for lack of depth or talent at LD. He showed slow and steady progression , and still has a lot of room to grow (not height per se but his overall game).

Not a lot of defensemen get to play in the NHL at 19 , but he did well considering. Had his first 4 goals in the NHL this year , he could easily grow to be a mobile top 4 Dmen that gives you 30-40 points playing on a 2nd line of defense with some 2nd PP unit.

He's not bad defensively either , yeah ok he doesn't exactly clear the crease and win every 1 on 1 battle but he cuts passing angles and is positionally sound for the most part.

Also , when you look at defensemen points , look at who theyre playing with. Cale Makar or Quinn Hugues can essentially pass the puck to Mackinnon/Rantanen , or Pettersson , Mete doesn't have forwards of this caliber to materialise his passes into points.

Ok thats a bit of a cheap argument but , even Hedman had 4 20 points season before become the defensemen he is today, my point is , don't be so quick to trade him out of town to make room for a more established Dmen. I would hate to see him flourish elsewhere. Hell , his ELC is up and he wont be expensive, sign him long for cheap.

It's hard to say how he'll grow. He's still very young. Rushing him may have chopped his upside a bit but maybe not. Him taking the more traditional route, he would've likely put up really good numbers in the AHL and got to play with Bouchard. Obviously wouldn't have hurt him. The stats are progressing slowly but surely. Again I checked out early this year, I thought I heard mixed things about him. Had some rough patches? Did he seem to have been better all around this year?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

He's all about skating. 40-point D? I don't buy it at all. No real shot (still) and not an excellent passer in the O-zone at all. Don't see much upside beyond the moving the puck cup the ice. Great for a 3rd pairing because not much happens after that.

Reactions: Gains

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020
He's all about skating. 40-point D? I don't buy it at all. No real shot (still) and not an excellent passer in the O-zone at all. Don't see much upside beyond the moving the puck cup the ice. Great for a 3rd pairing because not much happens after that.

That's kind of the dilemma, to me...do you try to play him with the top line(s) and have the forwards generate the offense after he got the puck in the o-zone, or do you play him with the bottom 6 and probably waste his zone exits and entries because there's nobody that can really make anything happen?

Technically speaking, I guess the perfect use would be to send him in whenever the Habs gain possession in their zone, and then have him change up with a better offensive defenseman once the puck is settled in the zone...but that only could kind of work in the 2nd period.

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016

Most yound D playing under Julien focus on not making mistakes because they,re going to get benched. Happened to Fleury at one point this year (who yes was playing not as well as early in the season but still). Considering this , he has done good so far.

I believe as he matures , his offensive game will become more evident as well. True he doesn't have much of a shot , but the passing is there. After not scoring in his first 2 seasons he had 4 goals /11 points total in 51 games.

Time will tell , 40 points , not next year , but i could see him be that as early as 25 and onwards... which is still 3-4 seasons down the line.

Kid entered the league very early.

I have no problem using him as a 3rd D , but if we don't get another top 4 D in the offseason, I say play him with Weber , whos not particularly mobile.

Putting Chiarot with Petry is a very solid 2nd line and lowers time on ice for chiarot over the season a bit. Romanov - Juulsen or Fleury would ease Romanov into the lineup to start the season .... then if he moves up good.

Hes going to be a cheap RFA for now, if he grows to be what i think he can be , good for us, if not , the increased ice-time and growth will boost his trade value.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Besides physical strength, his upside is limited by his puck skills and lack of shiftiness and creativity. He still can be an effective player, who excells at defending outside the defensive zone and moving the puck up the ice. Will never put up many primary points. Overall, a complimentary player on one of the top pairings, or a leader on the third.

He didn't play with much confidence this season, which raises a question mark on his development. When he hesitates and doesn't use his speed to kill plays and start the transition, he's pretty mediocre.

Reactions: DangerDave

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's always going to struggle in the physical and neutralization area. One example was with one of the Pens goals yesterday right in front of the net on a rebound. Mete and Ouellet are the only ones without a point and are a -1 after 3 games. Mete needs to produce puck movement and points if he is going to hold his NHL spot. He has done decent in the defensive area but he needs to be paired up with a physical guy

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Besides physical strength, his upside is limited by his puck skills and lack of shiftiness and creativity. He still can be an effective player, who excells at defending outside the defensive zone and moving the puck up the ice. Will never put up many primary points. Overall, a complimentary player on one of the top pairings, or a leader on the third.

He didn't play with much confidence this season, which raises a question mark on his development. When he hesitates and doesn't use his speed to kill plays and start the transition, he's pretty mediocre.

In terms of match up's in a playoff series, he is a liability and if he is not flying around out there moving the puck out and into the offensive zone, he is useless. I have gone up and down with Mete and he is still young with room to grow but he needs to realize that offensive puck moving with his skating is his game. He can't play a Kulak style

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Disappointed in Mete this season. Instead of step ahead, he took one back. Looked worse than Ouelette during play in

Reactions: The Real Timo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad