Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part III

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
There's no reason to think he couldn't have been. He's very similar to Krug, in size, in style, in path, the difference is the Bruins let Krug develop his offensive game in the AHL, Habs didn't with Mete.
Krug wasn't even drafted.
I dont see Mete in Krug. Only similarity is size. I was HOPING Mete would be another Krug. But Mete has very little offensive instincts. The occasional very fast end to end rush Mete tries once in a while. He'll never approach Krug.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I dont see Mete in Krug. Only similarity is size. I was HOPING Mete would be another Krug. But Mete has very little offensive instincts. The occasional very fast end to end rush Mete tries once in a while. He'll never approach Krug.
I mean, that's the whole point mate. Playing in the AHL would help Mete develop some of his offensive game. Again, maybe he'd never have become a 40-50pt guy like Krug but there is absolutely no question getting a full season would have helped. I mean, he went there for 7 games and had 4pts, and in juniors he had a steady progress in his offensive game as well. There really is no reason to believe Mete couldn't be better, especially offensively.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I mean, that's the whole point mate. Playing in the AHL would help Mete develop some of his offensive game. Again, maybe he'd never have become a 40-50pt guy like Krug but there is absolutely no question getting a full season would have helped. I mean, he went there for 7 games and had 4pts, and in juniors he had a steady progress in his offensive game as well. There really is no reason to believe Mete couldn't be better, especially offensively.
if this was Mete's first season here I would agree with you. But if you look at last year and this year it's still looks the same. ZERO offensive instincts.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Do you honestly think mete had an offensive game to develop? It's not like he's been neutered from rushing the puck and trying to create offense. He does ( did) that a lot, he just doesn't create offense, maybe because of his muffin shot, where Krug has a bullet.

for sure, he was just under a ppg at 18 in London, who knows what would have happened had he returned to the OHL the next year and then spent all of last year in Laval. This organization seems to have no clue how to develop players, just rush them and hope something sticks.

Getting points off your shot isn't about how hard it is, as a smart wrist shot that gets on net works just as well. His career ppg put him on pace for about 15 pts over 82 games, so I don't see why he couldn't be a 20-25 pt blueliner in a few years since he's only 21.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
for sure, he was just under a ppg at 18 in London, who knows what would have happened had he returned to the OHL the next year and then spent all of last year in Laval. This organization seems to have no clue how to develop players, just rush them and hope something sticks.

Getting points off your shot isn't about how hard it is, as a smart wrist shot that gets on net works just as well. His career ppg put him on pace for about 15 pts over 82 games, so I don't see why he couldn't be a 20-25 pt blueliner in a few years since he's only 21.
Oh, yeah I think that's attainable. I guess I was confused on his perceived ability with the comparisons with Krug. I don't see mete as a fixture on a pp, or being a 45 point guy.

I'm surprised he doesn't get more points given his inclination to carry the puck to the net.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
if this was Mete's first season here I would agree with you. But if you look at last year and this year it's still looks the same. ZERO offensive instincts.
You're saying Mete wouldn't have developed in the AHL because he hasn't done it in a way more difficult league...there's no logic in this.
The whole point is he needed the AHL to develop his game...like...that's the whole point mate.
It's not like he had a rookie season in the AHL where he showed little.

Basically you do not believe in development if you can't do it in the NHL.

Reactions: Wats and montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Oh, yeah I think that's attainable. I guess I was confused on his perceived ability with the comparisons with Krug. I don't see mete as a fixture on a pp, or being a 45 point guy.

I'm surprised he doesn't get more points given his inclination to carry the puck to the net.

that's 20-25 points without developing him properly, who knows what could have been had he not been rushed. not that i'm saying he would be anything close to even a 40 pt D, just that it's hard to say what's best for a defensemen that's undersized and trying to keep his NHL paycheck in the biggest pressure cooker in the NHL.

Although I haven't seen much of him at all this year so take my opinions on his upside with a grain of salt.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
that's 20-25 points without developing him properly, who knows what could have been had he not been rushed. not that i'm saying he would be anything close to even a 40 pt D, just that it's hard to say what's best for a defensemen that's undersized and trying to keep his NHL paycheck in the biggest pressure cooker in the NHL.

Although I haven't seen much of him at all this year so take my opinions on his upside with a grain of salt.
Yeah, it's really hard to predict defensemen. Petry didn't break 30pts till he was 30 years old. It takes a special type of talent to put those numbers up as a young defenseman.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah, it's really hard to predict defensemen. Petry didn't break 30pts till he was 30 years old. It takes a special type of talent to put those numbers up as a young defenseman.

which is why I think many sell Sergachev short, yea he's been lucky to be on such a high powered offense but the kid was the OHL defensemen of the year at 17 for a reason. That said I wouldn't expect Mete to put up the numbers he has as he just doesn't have the offensive skill that Sergachev had or else he would have been picked much higher then 100th OA.

For me his game is about playing solid defense, moving the puck and hopefully putting up some points here and there. I never saw him as a top pairing D on a contender but even if he only ends up a solid bottom pairing D on a contender, it's a win as far as drafting goes at least.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Imagine icing this at some point in a few years...

Byron - Domi - Caufield

Mete - Harris

It would look like 16 year olds are playing 10 year olds. And that's against any other NHL team. :(

On the positive side it's good to see that Mete has the meddle and the antibodies to play through serious flu symptoms. Warrior type.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Imagine icing this at some point in a few years...

Byron - Domi - Caufield

Mete - Harris

It would look like 16 year olds are playing 10 year olds. And that's against any other NHL team. :(

On the positive side it's good to see that Mete has the meddle and the antibodies to play through serious flu symptoms. Warrior type.

Do you actually think this would get iced? Would Byron or Domi even be here in a few years? You're worried about nothing.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Do you actually think this would get iced? Would Byron or Domi even be here in a few years? You're worried about nothing.

They could all be on the roster at some point, yes - most likely not on the same 5.

The Habs are still the only team that could swing that, though. Aren't they?

We're the anti-Jackets, if you look at how hard playoffs are on players' bodies. It's kind of a worry if we get there some day and don't have big skilled guys in our top 6.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
They could all be on the roster at some point, yes - most likely not on the same 5.

The Habs are still the only team that could swing that, though. Aren't they?

We're the anti-Jackets, if you look at how hard playoffs are on players' bodies. It's kind of a worry if we get there some day and don't have big skilled guys in our top 6.
We have plenty of size in the pipeline. You're being a bit hyperbolic.

This reads like a post from the 2000s

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
NHL time. But ok.

We don't know that Poehling can fill a top 6 role and Kotka will take time. So that's all we've got for 6'0"+ players that can come into the top 6 over the next 4-5 years. Sweet.
What is stopping us from adding another player like this as early as this offseason? Suzuki is 6ft is he not? Armia isn't going anywhere. You're making claims that may come true, but you can't say that as face like you are now.

Enjoy the game. Done with this size nonsense.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
What is stopping us from adding another player like this as early as this offseason? Suzuki is 6ft is he not? Armia isn't going anywhere. You're making claims that may come true, but you can't say that as face like you are now.

Enjoy the game. Done with this size nonsense.

To your first question, Bergevin. To your 2nd, no he's not - he's 5'11". Armia is in the top 6 now but he's had some time on the 3rd line as well.

I'm enjoying the game. Blue collar type of dog fight going with on with coyotes.

giphy.gif

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
We have plenty of size in the pipeline. You're being a bit hyperbolic.

This reads like a post from the 2000s
He's got a point. What was the last team that won a SC with a predominantly smallish core of players ? I firmly believe it isn't a recipe for success. Only MB and MB apologists wouldn't critiscise this fact that we're the smallest team in the NHL, and that we have even smaller players down the pipeline. And I'm not talking about baby poo softie Drouin. You just don't win with finesse in the Playoffs. You need grit and sandpaper.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
He's got a point. What was the last team that won a SC with a predominantly smallish core of players ? I firmly believe it isn't a recipe for success. Only MB and MB apologists wouldn't critiscise this fact that we're the smallest team in the NHL, and that we have even smaller players down the pipeline. And I'm not talking about baby poo softie Drouin. You just don't win with finesse in the Playoffs. You need grit and sandpaper.
I think we should get bigger, but the deficit now is not the same as past seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad