Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part III

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I mean, that's the whole point mate. Playing in the AHL would help Mete develop some of his offensive game. Again, maybe he'd never have become a 40-50pt guy like Krug but there is absolutely no question getting a full season would have helped. I mean, he went there for 7 games and had 4pts, and in juniors he had a steady progress in his offensive game as well. There really is no reason to believe Mete couldn't be better, especially offensively.

He HAS to be much better offensively to warrant a spot on the club from my standpoint. I'm not convinced at all.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
We killed his progression. It was too early to make him play on a regular basis since day 1. Not it's pretty clear...

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
We killed his progression. It was too early to make him play on a regular basis since day 1. Not it's pretty clear...

Guy is almost a journeyman already. They just powered through his development stage.

Last edited:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Journeyman? Drafted and developed by the Habs. He’s never played for another team. I’m not getting the joke.

Maybe if you used the actual definition of journeyman, you would see it's not a joke. Journeyman has absolutely nothing to do with the number of teams someone has been with.

It means he has served his apprenticeship. He is a serviceable tradesman, nothing special.

When I think of the team's future, I never think of him playing a meaningful role.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe if you used the actual definition of journeyman, you would see it's not a joke. Journeyman has absolutely nothing to do with the number of teams someone has been with.

It means he has served his apprenticeship. He is a serviceable tradesman, nothing special.

When I think of the team's future, I never think of him playing a meaningful role.

He's 5 months older than Mete. Let's give them both time to develop before throwing in the towel.

Of course it would be great if Mete could pursue his apprenticeship in Laval, where he'd likely look 1000 times better than Fleury. But of course management royally screwed up that possibility.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I don't get how he isn't anything close to how he was in his first season with the club.

I remember being so impressed with the maturity of his game. He had good angles, read the play well, anticipated passing lanes, made smart first passes. Now he seems overwhelmed.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don't get how he isn't anything close to how he was in his first season with the club.

I remember being so impressed with the maturity of his game. He had good angles, read the play well, anticipated passing lanes, made smart first passes. Now he seems overwhelmed.
I am also skeptical about his long term game but hopefully the fact that he got the monkey off his back this season and finally scored will allow him to focus on other elements in his game. He should hire a skill coach to work on his passing.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I was wondering if anyone thought he was a tiny bit slower this season. I feel like he did bulk up, which maybe made a bit of a difference, but it seems like his skating took a bigger hit than what he gained in strength.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I was wondering if anyone thought he was a tiny bit slower this season. I feel like he did bulk up, which maybe made a bit of a difference, but it seems like his skating took a bigger hit than what he gained in strength.

H e can't pass, doesn't win one on one battles and has a still pretty bad shot. He can skate as fast as he wants, his ceiling remains extremely limited, IMO.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
H e can't pass, doesn't win one on one battles and has a still pretty bad shot. He can skate as fast as he wants, his ceiling remains extremely limited, IMO.
It was fun early on as he was like a rocket next to Weber. Weber would score and Mete... would not.
It's going to be his 4th season so he will need to show more to stay up the depth chart. He's still young but yeah, the ceiling is limited.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Not true, he actually has pretty sharp and accurate passing skills and he wins alot of puck battles using his speed, smart and good stick, he is really good on transition too... Mete just isnt really creative with the puck and hasnt great puck skills, he is a pure north south type of defenseman that really keeps his game simple and "mistake free", will rarely turn the puck over, but will rarely make great offensive zone plays either... His shot is weak and his offensive upside is limited, but I see him as a quality third pairing defenseman that can jump on the top 4 at times if needed, his offensive production should raise too as the team gets better offensively...

Last edited by a moderator:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Not true, he actually has pretty sharp and accurate passing skills and he wins alot of puck battles using his speed, smart and good stick, he is really good on transition too... Mete just isnt really creative with the puck and hasnt great puck skills, he is a pure north south type of defenseman that really keeps his game simple and "mistake free", will rarely turn the puck over, but will rarely make great offensive zone plays either... His shot is weak and his offensive upside is limited, but I see him as a quality third pairing defenseman that can jump on the top 4 at times if needed, his offensive production should raise too as the team gets better offensively...

Low ceiling. If he was such a great passer, he could be a huge help on the PP but, that's simply not the case. I dont want to slag the kid who deserves to be an NHLer but, I find that some fans put too much stock in this kid.

He doesn't get protected at the expansion draft, for example so, he's not remotely part of the team's young core, IMHO.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Low ceiling. If he was such a great passer, he could be a huge help on the PP but, that's simply not the case. I dont want to slag the kid who deserves to be an NHLer but, I find that some fans put too much stock in this kid.

He doesn't get protected at the expansion draft, for example so, he's not remotely part of the team's young core, IMHO.

Well, Julien uses 2 PP waves, 4 fowards, 1 defenseman on each units, Weber is the one used on the first and Petry on the 2nd, hard to pass 2 proven vets like those 2... Once Petry is gone, we will see if they try Mete on the 2nd unit, but this team has no shooter up front yet, so Mete or not, it wont make a difference until it changes...

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

He did all that up until around 1/3 of the present season.

He did far better in his sophomore season than his rookie season.

And he continued that this season until he started playing injured around game 25.

Most used pairing last season was Weber-Mete, and was also the most efficient pairing.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Wait... you have the habs list for the next expansion draft?

It would be a grave mistake to not protect him. A joke actually.

You're totally off your rockers expecting high offense at 20-21 and making premature conclusions. Many dmen start producing more around 24-27 years old.

Have you been paying attention, at all?

No defenseman can go +20 playing a top 4 role for 1200+ minutes by being a 5th wheel unless he's playing on a very prolific line, which was not the case for Mete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad