Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part III

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
He's always going to struggle in the physical and neutralization area. One example was with one of the Pens goals yesterday right in front of the net on a rebound. Mete and Ouellet are the only ones without a point and are a -1 after 3 games. Mete needs to produce puck movement and points if he is going to hold his NHL spot. He has done decent in the defensive area but he needs to be paired up with a physical guy

My hope is that with time, he'll beef up like Gallagher did.

Pretty sure the offense will come. Nothing earth shattering, but I've rarely seen players with such a good breakout pass not develop further playmaking abilities with time.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
that's just crazy, it's Ouellet that doesn't belong in the NHL. Mete when he has an NHL partner, plays on his natural side and isn't coming off an injury is at the very least a solid bottom pairing D that is still very young.
This, there's no way that Mete on his correct side and Fleury wouldn't be an upgrade over what Claude is icing

Hell did freeze over once in the last game with some overdue line juggling, maybe it will happen again...

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don't see much of a future in Montreal for Mete as Romanov may very well bump him out of the lineup next season and we have Struble, Harris, Norlinder and Fairbrother all in the pipeline on the left side. Imo he should be trade bait to help bring in assets at positions where we are weaker. I would look to move him at the draft if he has a good showing in these playoffs before his value is diminished while in the press box as a 7th D next season.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't see much of a future in Montreal for Mete as Romanov may very well bump him out of the lineup next season and we have Struble, Harris, Norlinder and Fairbrother all in the pipeline on the left side. Imo he should be trade bait to help bring in assets at positions where we are weaker. I would look to move him at the draft if he has a good showing in these playoffs before his value is diminished while in the press box as a 7th D next season.

Romanov is comfortable on the right side though. I'd also argue Kulak should be pushed off before Mete is.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Romanov is comfortable on the right side though. I'd also argue Kulak should be pushed off before Mete is.

Kulak is much better than Mete and I don't see that gap closing much with Mete's low ceiling. Almost zero chance that Romanov plays the right side, especially as a rookie.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Kulak is much better than Mete and I don't see that gap closing much with Mete's low ceiling. Almost zero chance that Romanov plays the right side, especially as a rookie.

That's not what people were saying before the stoppage. Funny how in 3 games, Kulak went from barely an NHLer to better than Mete.

Romanov played most of the year as a RD so I don't know why he couldn't continue that.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I don't know. Kulak is 26 and is SEEMINGLY turning a corner now. Mete turned 22 2 months ago.

A lot of D seem to figure it out a bit later. Personally, I don't think Mete will stick around long enough to find out. I generally like him. He was atrocious on that one Pens goal last night but otherwise, I think he's been okay.

I think he could've matured his offensive game more assuredly if he wasn't 'rushed'. I don't think it's as non-existent as most say. He had a nice pass off a pretty great rush that was a decent chance.

I won't die on this hill like I would've before but I think he can still be better. Playing on his right side with freaking Ouellet (though truth be told, X's been fine since the Pens have been pretty middling) and he hasn't done that bad. They can get exposed at the drop of a hat though.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
That's not what people were saying before the stoppage. Funny how in 3 games, Kulak went from barely an NHLer to better than Mete.

Romanov played most of the year as a RD so I don't know why he couldn't continue that.

Not sure which people you are referring to but Kulak was unquestionably outplaying Mete before the break and is doing so again by a wide margin. They are not going to block Fleury, Juulsen and Brook by foolishly moving Romanov to RD in order to make room for Mete. Mete has very little upside from his current level of development and should be an NHL dman but likely just a bottom pairing guy. Jordan Harris will quickly pass him on the depth chart as well with Struble, Norlinder and even Fairbrother coming down the pipeline.......if we can get something of value for him it is best to do it now before he settles in as our 7th dman with diminished trade value. Even when Mete is playing his best he has some glaring weaknesses that are likely always going to be there, there are just far too many legitimate prospects on the way to invest any further in Mete. If we can't get anything of value then I would happily keep him as a 7th dman but that is not my preference. I do like Mete but I just don't see him in our top six in the near future.

Reactions: angusyoung

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My hope is that with time, he'll beef up like Gallagher did.

Pretty sure the offense will come. Nothing earth shattering, but I've rarely seen players with such a good breakout pass not develop further playmaking abilities with time.

Fair. I've gone up and down with Mete and I do see some potential if he bulks up and plays more aggressive in puck moving. He's got the tools

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Mete-PressConference(20/08/09)

“Little bit nervous the first games and everything. Obviously my first playoffs games against a strong Pittsburgh team. So kinda just go out there and not making any mistakes. Playing pretty boring games I guess. As the games went on, I tried to jump a little bit more, creating more chances and kinda feeling more productive. Eveytime I get on there, I wanna make the best fit and doing the best I can. Now that I got four games under my belt here, I can bring that same intensity and aggressiveness into the next round.”

“It's definitely weird to be one-half hour from home and not being able to do much (leaving the bubble). But it's been pretty good, they done a pretty great job here with everything. It's pretty weird playing the game with no fans, but the way they setted up - like it almost seems that there's fans in the building - with all the sound and the noise during the games.”

“Not really, I mean before the series we knew we're kinda the underdogs (not really making into the playoffs). We wanted to prove everybody wrong and I thought we did that in the first round. So hopefully in the next round we can continue to giving the same message out there and win.”

“I think maybe Philadelphia are a little more physical and tough. They've got a couple of big guys there and that'd probably be the big difference.”

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I’d take Mete Over Kulak everyday of the week. The only advantage Kulak has over Mete is his height. Mere is 4 years younger and already the better player. This isn’t even a worthy discussion.

Listing all our left D prospects and projecting them
higher than proven NHLers, some people
never learn.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I’d take Mete Over Kulak everyday of the week. The only advantage Kulak has over Mete is his height. Mere is 4 years younger and already the better player. This isn’t even a worthy discussion.

Listing all our left D prospects and projecting them
higher than proven NHLers, some people
never learn.

Proven NHLer lol.....Mete is a borderline bottom pairing dman with very little upside from where his development currently sits. Romanov and Harris will definitely be better than Mete. Struble and Norlinder have far more upside and I wouldn't count Fairbrother either. Kulak is clearly better at this point as he is much bigger and stronger than Mete and has a much better shot. Mete is useless in front of the net and has a muffin from the point. Kulak is a placeholder to segway into the future......Mete is almost redundant as soon as next season

Reactions: ItzaGreat

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020
Going to copy and paste my post from another thread because it's more relevant in a Mete thread.

The people calling Mete a #6/7/AHL D are totally out to lunch. He's a great defenseman who's elite at driving play. Our lineup is way better with him in it.
upload_2020-8-13_1-59-50-png.360761

Over the past 3 seasons he's 15th among defensemen in RAPM xGPM. That's a caliber of player you want in your lineup each and every night. He should be on the top pairing with Weber as they've had so much success together over the years I don't get why Claude refuses to play them together, and especially because the Chiarot/Weber pairing is a total dumpster fire.

Mete is great and I have to assume the people shitting on him don't actually watch him play because he passes the eye test with flying colors.

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
Not a single shot on net in 7 playoffs games.

Gets the puck at the blue line..forces a pass every time. It gets intercepted 95% of the time because he's so easy to read.

In the D zone he's non-factor

Reactions: Runner77

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020
Just because he doesn't hit doesn't mean he's a non-factor. His advanced stats are still great, specially considering he's playing off side with Xavier Ouellet as his partner.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not a single shot on net in 7 playoffs games.

Gets the puck at the blue line..forces a pass every time. It gets intercepted 95% of the time because he's so easy to read.

In the D zone he's non-factor
That sounds terrible.

I think there's some tools to help validate that. The NHL publishes a few of them. I guess you consulted them before writing your post, but for our benefit, could you tell us how many passes the NHL has recorded Mete as attempting, and how many completed? For example, is it 1000 passes attempted, and 50 completed?

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
That sounds terrible.

I think there's some tools to help validate that. The NHL publishes a few of them. I guess you consulted them before writing your post, but for our benefit, could you tell us how many passes the NHL has recorded Mete as attempting, and how many completed? For example, is it 1000 passes attempted, and 50 completed?
Are you trying to Rafael Diaz me? Lol

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
I do not mind mete, I think when he is in confidence he moves the puck really well and creates opportunity on the opposite end. He can't shoot for the life of god and when he does he misses the net but his passing game is not too shaby and his skating with the puck is so good that he creates caos at the other end. I would much rather see Fleury as is partner. Now is he better then Kulak. Kulak as been really impressive in these playoff, not any less then our big 3 and I do not see Mete surpassing him. From what I read and looking forward to see Romanov should easily displace mete .. so even if I like him .. I think his days as a regular are counted.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Going to copy and paste my post from another thread because it's more relevant in a Mete thread.

The people calling Mete a #6/7/AHL D are totally out to lunch. He's a great defenseman who's elite at driving play. Our lineup is way better with him in it.

Over the past 3 seasons he's 15th among defensemen in RAPM xGPM. That's a caliber of player you want in your lineup each and every night. He should be on the top pairing with Weber as they've had so much success together over the years I don't get why Claude refuses to play them together, and especially because the Chiarot/Weber pairing is a total dumpster fire.

Mete is great and I have to assume the people shitting on him don't actually watch him play because he passes the eye test with flying colors.

These stats are proof that they are garbage when used in the way that you are using them........end of story.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

To what extent do you even understand these so-called "advanced" stats?

Do you even know what RAPM xGPM stands for? Can you explain why it's pertinent? What are it's strengths and limitations? In which cases is the stat non predictive? What makes it advanced other than the fact it doesn't show up on the back of hockey cards?

Why are there no uncertainties plotted in these histograms? That's not advanced stats, that is stats 101.

Tell me, did they figure out that production should be normalized by ice time? Wow, when is Google or Goldman Sachs hiring that person?

I have a PhD in STEM field, which is a field I practice in for a living. Most of the "advanced stats" I see in hockey are not advanced, not insightful, and their advocates make me roll my eyes.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->