Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Shot can definitely improve. Gallagher had practically no shot when he came in the league.
Disagree, Gallagher never had a bad shot. He was just seen as more of a garbage goal type...crash the net and get the rebounds, but he's always had a good shot. Just didn't utilize it as much.
Mete has a terrible shot.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
love this.

I love the way he's played fearless, even as a 5 foot 9 19 year old dman.

I'm ready to be patient and see what happens to his offensive game. Right now on a rush, it looks like he's half thinking about getting back on D. When he gets more experienced and satisfied with his defensive game, he'll start to put think offensively more. We'll see if he's able to create scoring chances and goals. Time will tell.
I'm not convinced. He looks more like someone who doesn't know what to do with the puck than a guy trying things but failing due to experience.
Over the stretch of a full year, you would see him convert some of those chances. Not a lot, due to experience as you say, but he would convert some.
Right now, there's nothing happening.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Find me posts that said that... That's a strong claim to make for a three time 40 goal scorer in the WHL. From 2012: "But Gallagher's main weapon is his shot, which has been terrorizing the junior ranks for the past three years. He has a strong wrist shot and can score goals from a distance, but he also has a knack for crashing the goal crease and potting the dirty goals." Top 25 Under 25: #7 Brendan Gallagher
There was many in this board and others , not sure how I can pull them up. But since you have been here for a while, nothing should surprise you, nor on the negative side nor the positive one where some Ahli players are expected to be the next Crosby

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
He’s a good defensemen and I believe in his potential but imo it was a bad decision to call him back from Laval.

Playing half a season in Laval would have done wonders for his confidence and scoring abilities.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not convinced. He looks more like someone who doesn't know what to do with the puck than a guy trying things but failing due to experience.
Over the stretch of a full year, you would see him convert some of those chances. Not a lot, due to experience as you say, but he would convert some.
Right now, there's nothing happening.

He looks to me like a guy who half doesn't know what to do and half is thinking defense while he's on offense.

But I do agree with you he looks like he doesn't konw what to do - which is actually puzzling given he put up big offensive numbers in junior.

Your concerns are legitimate. But I'm still going to wait and see how it plays out. Maybe if he's actually fully committed to making an offensive play he won't look like he's surprised to find himself alone with the goalie or on a 3 on 1. There was one play he made last game where he looked really committed. He rushed in against 3 Islanders and took a partial screen wrist shot that missed the net but was intentionally sneaky enough to catch the goalie off guard. The goalies was so caught by surprise that the puck came off the back boards to a Hab for another scoring chance. That was nice offensive aptitude by Mete. Same with his assist on i think Gallagher's tip goal on the road. he gave it to Weber and then raised his stick like he wanted it right back for a one timer. Weber gave it back, Mete one-timed it, and Gallagher tipped it for a goal. Seems like Mete is starting to try more in the o-zone lately.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
reality : you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about

You're unfortunately one of the very few who have this tunnel vision stuck on "0 goals in 112" games as if it defines his CAREER...that just started...
fans pay HUNDREDS for a night at the BC with friends/kids/whatever... they pay more than enough

only idiots think fans owe players more than those hundreds.

you don't need to make up stuff, we both know you don't see me commenting on his 0 goals much, i mean... tunnel vision, you sure know what you're talking about...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
There was many in this board and others , not sure how I can pull them up. But since you have been here for a while, nothing should surprise you, nor on the negative side nor the positive one where some Ahli players are expected to be the next Crosby
there's many... but you can't pull even one ?

yeah, sure, a lot on these board taught Gallagher was only a 10 goals scorer right ? :laugh:

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
there's many... but you can't pull even one ?

yeah, sure, a lot on these board taught Gallagher was only a 10 goals scorer right ? :laugh:
Sorry to disappoint you, but I have better things to do then search posts for you. You are entitled to your opinion and if you have not seen any so be it. I did .
So Let's agree to disagree .

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Man Shaw has been worth his price in gold, all season , but especially in crunch time.
He talked the walked and he is walking the walk

Reactions: Gains and sharks9

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Sorry to disappoint you, but I have better things to do then search posts for you. You are entitled to your opinion and if you have not seen any so be it. I did .
So Let's agree to disagree .
yeah sure, you make up stuff and then "sorry I have no time to show anything".

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
yeah sure, you make up stuff and then "sorry I have no time to show anything".
I told you lets agree to disagree, but seems you are so insecure you have to feel like you win an argument. Ok mr Know it all. Also i said sorry to disappoint you. Not sorry to you. But convenient to edit, seems you have plenty of time to do that.
Let me put this in simple neanderthal english so you do understand, I dont give a flying damn if you believe or not

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I told you lets agree to disagree, but seems you are so insecure you have to feel like you win an argument. Ok mr Know it all. Also i said sorry to disappoint you. Not sorry to you. But convenient to edit, seems you have plenty of time to do that.
Let me put this in simple neanderthal english so you do understand, I dont give a flying damn if you believe or not
there's no insecurity here, stop projecting. We both know the "people said Gallagher will be a 10 goal scorer" is a fabrication of yours.

Look, no need to panic, making up stuff and arguing against it is something we see MB defenders do a lot, we're used to it, it's somewhat funny (mostly the justification for it).

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He is certainly turning into something. Came along ways this season. That would have been a great draft if we had kept of picks. Mete plus Sergachev and would have been Debrinkat.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
We likely would have had Girard as well. Shaw and Drouin vs Sergachev, Girard, and Debrincat. Debrincat is the best player of them all. It's actually quite likely Drouin and Shaw end up as the two worst pieces in those deals.

MC94

May 13, 2018
He’s a good defensemen and I believe in his potential but imo it was a bad decision to call him back from Laval.

Playing half a season in Laval would have done wonders for his confidence and scoring abilities.
They need to ice the best team possible though having been fighting for a playoff spot all year and the depth on D (especially leftys) for this team just couldnt allow for it

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He looks to me like a guy who half doesn't know what to do and half is thinking defense while he's on offense.

But I do agree with you he looks like he doesn't konw what to do - which is actually puzzling given he put up big offensive numbers in junior.

Your concerns are legitimate. But I'm still going to wait and see how it plays out. Maybe if he's actually fully committed to making an offensive play he won't look like he's surprised to find himself alone with the goalie or on a 3 on 1. There was one play he made last game where he looked really committed. He rushed in against 3 Islanders and took a partial screen wrist shot that missed the net but was intentionally sneaky enough to catch the goalie off guard. The goalies was so caught by surprise that the puck came off the back boards to a Hab for another scoring chance. That was nice offensive aptitude by Mete. Same with his assist on i think Gallagher's tip goal on the road. he gave it to Weber and then raised his stick like he wanted it right back for a one timer. Weber gave it back, Mete one-timed it, and Gallagher tipped it for a goal. Seems like Mete is starting to try more in the o-zone lately.

It's a lot easier to be productive in juniors. Laraque was a ppg in his last season in the Q.

I view Mete like Beaulieu offensively. He's a bit smarter but still doesn't look great up front. Defensively much better than Bo, no doubt, so can't compare them overall. Mete is much better.
But I think he has no business playing on a top pairing. Too bad we suck so damn much we had to steal away two possible years of proper development in the AHL for him.

Coming up through juniors, I viewed him as our Krug but he didn't get that year in the AHL to develop his offense like Torey did.

Reactions: 26Mats

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
We likely would have had Girard as well. Shaw and Drouin vs Sergachev, Girard, and Debrincat. Debrincat is the best player of them all. It's actually quite likely Drouin and Shaw end up as the two worst pieces in those deals.

With Julien as coach Sergachev would've been getting benched for Benn and Debrincat would've probably played with guys like Thompson/Logan Shaw/Froese/Chaput as his centre.

Reactions: 26Mats

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
So I'm interested in some comparables for Mete. Not necessarily of size/style but of making the NHL at his age and playing on a top pairing.

Specifically how many of these guys stalled out there progress and never got any better while being 20 and playing the role he does for us?

Also what about real high end guys who may have joined the NHL at his age but didn't necessarily get his minutes and maybe how long they took to start looking like the stars they are now or were in their prime.

Genuinely asking and sorry if this worded oddly. I don't know how better to put it. I'm just curious of past cases. I get the size and shot limitations aren't trivial but How many kids who make the NHL at 19 (yes I know our blue line was crap) do reasonably well on a top pairing as a 20 year old only become merely 2nd pairing guys? 2nd pairing's still good of course but I just don't think that's what his trajectory would project him as.

The 0 goals is a factor too. I'm not too arsed about it but yeah sure it's there. I just think there's a real possibility of something pretty special. Take out the 0 goals and the weak shot and you see a kid who almost matched Sergachev's production in his D+1, made the NHL as a 19 year old, shined at the WJCs and has one of the better plus/minus ratings (not the be all and end all of stats but he's obviously doing something right) on a top pairing as a 20 year old. He's not a sure thing as a star or even a full time top pairing guy (though the latter is really looking more likely by the game I think) but there's evidence there to think the possibility isn't so crazy.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Most games played without having scored a goal (skaters). Mete currently sits at 0 goals in 117 games played. The record is held by Steve Halko, who played 155 NHL games over parts of 6 seasons without ever scoring a goal. However, in terms of minutes played, Mete is even closer to Halko. Steve Halko played 2044 minutes in the NHL. Mete has logged 1965 minutes played as of tonight. Just thought that was interesting.

Edit: The record is not 155 games held by Steve Halko; it is held by David Hale, who played 231 games before scoring his 1st goal. Thanks to Habaneros down below for this correction. Mete is still chasing the record however, and he is more than halfway there which is still insane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad