Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My post was in reply to an assertion that appeared to me to imply that Mete is a first pairing D. I merely suggested that he is not at this time.

Put it to a vote and let’s find out if most Hab fans feel otherwise.
Not sure the post you quoted said he was a top pairing D and Im also not sure this is what you meant. You seem to have a problem with Metes success because hes there because of Bergevins stupidity.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not sure the post you quoted said he was a top pairing D and Im also not sure this is what you meant. You seem to have a problem with Metes success because hes there because of Bergevins stupidity.

You seem to have a disagreeable and repugnant propensity to randomly assign individuals into your pre-conceived notion of what “camp” you believe anyone posting in here has to be a member of in order to arrive at a self-serving conclusion that was never intended or stated.

Show me where I say that I have a “problem” with “Mete’s success”. I don’t have an agenda, I call it as I see it. If you can’t see that, I can’t help you.

Reactions: SOLR

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You seem to have a disagreeable and repugnant propensity to randomly assign individuals into your pre-conceived notion of what “camp” you believe anyone posting in here has to be a member of in order to arrive at a self-serving conclusion that was never intended or stated.

Show me where I say that I have a “problem” with “Mete’s success”. I don’t have an agenda, I call it as I see it. If you can’t see that, I can’t help you.
I dont know, if you were calling it like you see it you wouldnt be calling him a third pair D, as youve done before. I understand the point about the team being bad, I dont however understand the need to exaggerate and call him a third pair D. The fact is, Mete has been put in an incredibly tough situation and hes done good, as every stats suggests.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Love Mete. If he becomes a 25-30pts D-man, he's totally a 1st pairing D (#2). He's already a good #4/ okay #3 in my book.

Probably gonna need to hit that mark to keep him around. Kulak and Chiarot are surely a lock and they have many options that could take a spot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I dont know, if you were calling it like you see it you wouldnt be calling him a third pair D, as youve done before. I understand the point about the team being bad, I dont however understand the need to exaggerate and call him a third pair D. The fact is, Mete has been put in an incredibly tough situation and hes done good, as every stats suggests.

Again, you’re mischaracterizing my past posts to fit into a pre-conceived notion.

I’m not going to regurgitate my posting history. Only point I’m sticking to is that Mete is not first pairing material at this time and hope the GM finds a bona first pairing option. Just my opinion.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Wondering if Mete would have been top pairing in any of those teams.

I don’t think so. The Habs used Mete at first pairing on account of a well documented and glaring paucity of options at LD due to the GM’s inability to provide for a viable candidate during his tenure.

Just because the GM fell short doesn’t mean Mete is at this time suited to fill the role. Mete being used on first pairing is thus not indicative of anything other than being pressed into a position out of need.

Really don't understand why this point gets regurgitated ad infinitum. What's more important than him not getting that chance on other teams to be on a top pairing is that he ACTUALLY DID WELL on a top pairing. That in itself is impressive and what should be focused on. +/- isn't the be all and end all but if he was just SO outclassed on a top pairing that stat would surely reflect that. He'd have been eaten alive and he wasn't. It's not like he was on some offensive juggernaut that would skew his +/- stats.

If you have a 20 year old D man make the NHL (let alone a 19 year old) that in and of itself is pretty encouraging. But if you have one that can play on a top pairing and do as well as he did (especially with a Weber who was less than stellar down the stretch) then that SHOULD be perking up some eyebrows.

If the kid stayed in the AHL he surely would've been a stand out and everyone would be probably raving about him or at least have their interest piqued a bit more. Instead he does better than that and people are 'ho hum look at those goal totals'.

I'm not saying he's for sure a 1st pairing D man or a star or whatever (i'm not saying he isn't either) but I just think the cherry picking (not from you exactly) is odd. Just don't know too many D men who capped out at 20 years old. He's literally achieved more at the NHL level than any D man I can remember at the same age and no one seems to care.

Reactions: HabsTown

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Really don't understand why this point gets regurgitated ad infinitum. What's more important than him not getting that chance on other teams to be on a top pairing is that he ACTUALLY DID WELL on a top pairing. That in itself is impressive and what should be focused on. +/- isn't the be all and end all but if he was just SO outclassed on a top pairing that stat would surely reflect that. He'd have been eaten alive and he wasn't. It's not like he was on some offensive juggernaut that would skew his +/- stats.

If you have a 20 year old D man make the NHL (let alone a 19 year old) that in and of itself is pretty encouraging. But if you have one that can play on a top pairing and do as well as he did (especially with a Weber who was less than stellar down the stretch) then that SHOULD be perking up some eyebrows.

If the kid stayed in the AHL he surely would've been a stand out and everyone would be probably raving about him or at least have their interest piqued a bit more. Instead he does better than that and people are 'ho hum look at those goal totals'.

I'm not saying he's for sure a 1st pairing D man or a star or whatever (i'm not saying he isn't either) but I just think the cherry picking (not from you exactly) is odd. Just don't know too many D men who capped out at 20 years old. He's literally achieved more at the NHL level than any D man I can remember at the same age and no one seems to care.

I never argued his plus/minus stats but would have much rather see him dominate the AHL and brought up progressively.

What’s done is done. I don’t know what this player’s ceiling will be, I’d just like to see him play a slot that suits his current abilities. I too like the fact that there is untapped potential. I don’t think he’d be at his best at first pairing next season but I definitely want him to progress and succeed no matter what his ultimate role may be.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

At the same time people are hoping Romanov is the savior... the same guy playing in an inferior league... who got one goal in forty games.

Also consider Petrys plus minus to Metes when they had nearly identical usage.

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
As a D it will. Plus hes unlikely to put up zero, hes only going to get better.

Also, Kulak is mediocre and Chiarot isnt good.

Yeah zero point for Mete seems like an impossible scenario. Kid has great skating and vision, and now I've read he's work on his shot all summer long. Will probably pop his goal cherry early in the season...

...that monkey must start to feel pretty heavy!

Reactions: azcanuck

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah zero point for Mete seems like an impossible scenario. Kid has great skating and vision, and now I've read he's work on his shot all summer long. Will probably pop his goal cherry early in the season...

...that monkey must start to feel pretty heavy!

Its not a monkey anymore, its a Gigantopithecus Blacki

Reactions: ItzaGreat

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
People are so down on Mete this is depressing.

The kid's only faults to date are not being 6'3, and has yet to score a goal.

Other than that, he's been surprisingly good in his defensive reads and in handling top 4 minutes...as a 19 and 20 years old.

In the grand scheme of things, Kulak and Chariot will battle it out for the bottom 2 spots on the left side until a kid like Romanov pushes them out further down the road. None of the two are #2-3 D, they are just fine #4-5 and so long as they can do better than Benn, our defense will improve.

Remember, Mete is going into is third season as a top pairing D at age 21! So long as he keeps improving, the Habs will be just fine.

By the way, here's a list of 20 years old and below defensemen who played in the league last year:

Dahlin
Heiskanen
Sergachev
McAvoy
Girard
Hronek
Chychrun
Cholowski
Lajoie
Jokiharju
Mahura
Valimaki

Btw, guess who had the best +/- of all! (Disclaimer, it's Mete at +17, most of those kids are well into the negatives.)

There's no need to get out there and strap 7M of cap space in a troubling player like Gardiner.

One of the best post i've seen on these boards lately !

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
At the same time people are hoping Romanov is the savior... the same guy playing in an inferior league... who got one goal in forty games.

Also consider Petrys plus minus to Metes when they had nearly identical usage.

Yeah I mean Romanov did make the second best league in the world at 18 though and won best D at the WJCs as an 18 y/o as well. So you could argue he was better at the same age.

All that being said, it's not obvious to me that Romanov will be better than Mete ultimately. Not in the least.

Mete's development curve has been exemplary. People are very close minded when it comes to his upside.

Reactions: xNogaitx

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah I mean Romanov did make the second best league in the world at 18 though and won best D at the WJCs as an 18 y/o as well. So you could argue he was better at the same age.

All that being said, it's not obvious to me that Romanov will be better than Mete ultimately. Not in the least.

Mete's development curve has been exemplary. People are very close minded when it comes to his upside.
People forger hes a 2016 draft pick, and a 4th rounder at that. I dont get it, its also not as if he wasnt impressive, he keeps me on the edge of my seat all game and Ive been watching most of his career, so far.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
People forger hes a 2016 draft pick, and a 4th rounder at that. I dont get it, its also not as if he wasnt impressive, he keeps me on the edge of my seat all game and Ive been watching most of his career, so far.

I missed a few games down the stretch but whenever I saw he was just super solid defensively and would have multiple great rushes a game. Like really impressive rushes no matter how old he was let alone a 20 year old.

When I'd come on here I heard nothing but good things in the GDTs so I assumed he was doing what I saw more often than not. I don't get the luke warmness and the more rare but still present outright trashing of him. Really perplexing. Kid could be a real beauty without stretching your mind that much.

Reactions: DangerDave

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I missed a few games down the stretch but whenever I saw he was just super solid defensively and would have multiple great rushes a game. Like really impressive rushes no matter how old he was let alone a 20 year old.

When I'd come on here I heard nothing but good things in the GDTs so I assumed he was doing what I saw more often than not. I don't get the luke warmness and the more rare but still present outright trashing of him. Really perplexing. Kid could be a real beauty without stretching your mind that much.
Theirs just a vocal minority that downgrade his value based on his lack of goals. His defense was rock solid and as I posted above, he was tops on the team for high danger chances differential. It doesn't always translate to goals for or against but it's a good indication that Mete does in fact create offense by shutting down opposition and moving the puck up quickly

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He's obviously not a legit first pairing guy, but he compliments Weber very well and they were excellent together the last couple months of the year.

It is similar to the Markov-Komisarek pairing in the past, Komisarek wasn't a top pairing guy but his physical play complimented Markov and he didn't look out of place and was able to play against other team's top lines.

He had only 3 less points at ES than guys like Fowler, Leddy and Brodin last year who are some of the names brought up as upgrades to play with Weber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille