Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Not his work defensively rather than his tendancy to be a rover out there and continuously dive down in the attacking zone. Personnally, I'M freakin fine with it. He has the skating to come back. Just saying....chances are you will have a Julien, if still there, asking him to tone down a bit...

Doesn't Mete play that way though? I'm surprised what Mete can get away with especially at 20 and his responsibilities.

Reactions: Acadien86

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Doesn't Mete play that way though? I'm surprised what Mete can get away with especially at 20 and his responsibilities.

Great point! Mete is 19 and 20 and not many coaches put trust in defenseman that age (especially in a top 4D role). Heck, not even Sergachev has earned this trust with Tampa yet. They kept on trying him at RD with either Hedman or McDonagh and time and time again, he ended up bottom pairing.

I was hard on Mete heading into the year last year and he proved me wrong. The kid is resilient and he has room to grow yet!

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Great point! Mete is 19 and 20 and not many coaches put trust in defenseman that age (especially in a top 4D role). Heck, not even Sergachev has earned this trust with Tampa yet. They kept on trying him at RD with either Hedman or McDonagh and time and time again, he ended up bottom pairing.

I was hard on Mete heading into the year last year and he proved me wrong. The kid is resilient and he has room to grow yet!

Mete was trusted by the Hunters to match up against McDavid at 16 years old.

By Ducharme on a gold medal winning Team Canada WJC shutdown pairing.

And by Julien on the Habs top shutdown pair at 20 years old, where he was a +17 on the year.

Too many armchair GMs around here dismiss his defensive ability because he’s 5’9 and expect him to turn into some dynamic PMD when that’s never been his game.

He’s a damn good hockey player as is.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Mete was trusted by the Hunters to match up against McDavid at 16 years old.

By Ducharme on a gold medal winning Team Canada WJC shutdown pairing.

And by Julien on the Habs top shutdown pair at 20 years old, where he was a +17 on the year.

Too many armchair GMs around here dismiss his defensive ability because he’s 5’9 and expect him to turn into some dynamic PMD when that’s never been his game.

He’s a damn good hockey player as is.
This! Only correction, Mete is also a pretty good puckmover, he moves north south but still pretty effective at moving the puck, just doesnt have the best vision out there, not the best shot and finition when joining the rush but I think it will come as the team gets better up front... Mete is a keeper, he is extremmely strong for his size, has elite speed and is very smart...

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
This! Only correction, Mete is also a pretty good puckmover, he moves north south but still pretty effective at moving the puck, just doesnt have the best vision out there, not the best shot and finition when joining the rush but I think it will come as the team gets better up front... Mete is a keeper!
People seem to forget that hes just 20 years old. Most of dman in the league were in junior at this age. This guy finished +17 on a first pairing. Against crosby, bergeron, kucherov... his stats gonna take a step. And even if hes finishing with only 30 pts. If continues to have a great +\- On a first pairing. Im gonna be satisfied. With cap salarial. We just cant have an all star to each position

Reactions: Goldenhands

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Mete's +/- was good because his ice time was managed to make it easier for him. Tougher nights when they needed some offence, he would be on the bench while other guys were relied upon to play more minutes against better teams. Mete was never on the ice when Montreal was down 1-2 goals in the last 2 minutes of a game, subject to empty goals against & high risk plays to try & score. The coach managed his shifts very well & his stats show it. Don't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear-I believe the saying is.

No. Thats just not true. Like, we have factual proof that he did not manage anything. He was used as a top pair Dman most of the year after his AHL stint and he did good. He gave up a lot of chances but didnt give up a lot of goals. One reason for that is Price, but also because the chances he gave werent that dangerous and because he has incredible zone exits.

Price's stats would improve if Mete is replaced bya defensively competent LHDman.

I mean, your takes are starting to become ridiculous now.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Ever seen! The hyperbole and lack of perspective on here is amusing.
ECHL caliber shooting and doesn't make up for his abysmal shooting with points. He also got sent down for his shitty defensive game. He looked much better since then, but he is absolutely not a top 4 dman right now. But hey he beat out Brett Kulak who cleared waivers! Future Bobby Orr.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
ECHL caliber shooting and doesn't make up for his abysmal shooting with points. He also got sent down for his ****ty defensive game. He looked much better since then, but he is absolutely not a top 4 dman right now. But hey he beat out Brett Kulak who cleared waivers! Future Bobby Orr.

That a boy! jump on the bandwagon,yee ha.

Reactions: schnapshot

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
ECHL caliber shooting and doesn't make up for his abysmal shooting with points. He also got sent down for his ****ty defensive game. He looked much better since then, but he is absolutely not a top 4 dman right now. But hey he beat out Brett Kulak who cleared waivers! Future Bobby Orr.
Sorry man but I think you're off here. He's very good defensively so let's not even argue about that. What people don't realize though is that the Canadiens increased their high danger chances when Mete was on the ice from 11.75 to 13.55 per 60 minutes, an increase of over 15%.

Even if it doesn't directly translate to points, he does a lot to move the puck up quickly. He's a good dman and he's only going to get better

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Sorry man but I think you're off here. He's very good defensively so let's not even argue about that. What people don't realize though is that the Canadiens increased their high danger chances when Mete was on the ice from 11.75 to 13.55 per 60 minutes, an increase of over 15%.

Even if it doesn't directly translate to points, he does a lot to move the puck up quickly. He's a good dman and he's only going to get better
Yeah he was so good that he got sent down. Of course he played better once he got called up, but that doesnt make him consistent.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Yeah he was so good that he got sent down. Of course he played better once he got called up, but that doesn't make him consistent.

He's a frikkin kid! needed the time away to hone more. Could have a short lease though as Leskenen looks like he might be able to upgrade on what he's got.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He's a frikkin kid! needed the time away to hone more. Could have a short lease though as Leskenen looks like he might be able to upgrade on what he's got.
I never said that he will never be a top 4 dman, but he definitely isnt one right now.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Yeah he was so good that he got sent down. Of course he played better once he got called up, but that doesnt make him consistent.

If I look at his season as a whole, I'm really happy. The Habs were a very good even strength team and created a lot of high danger chances especially when he was on the ice. I can name many top 4 dmen that Mete is better than.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I never said that he will never be a top 4 dman, but he definitely isnt one right now.

Not at the moment,but he does compliment Weber at the moment. The guy needs to definitely pot more points as it is. Like the way he skates,but just can't bury that disk.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Hot take: Mete was good even before they sent him down
Well that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. If you dont want to take my word for it, check out the thread: Recalled/Assigned: - Mete sent to the AHL
If I look at his season as a whole, I'm really happy. The Habs were a very good even strength team and created a lot of high danger chances especially when he was on the ice. I can name many top 4 dmen that Mete is better than.
Mete had to beat out Kulak, Schlemko, Reilly, and Alzner. 3 of those guys cleared waivers and Reilly didn't play much. Weber also made guys like Emelin, Beaulieu and Kulak look much better than they were when he played with them. Price played like a God since like December. These are all pretty important factors when it comes to evaluating Mete's role on the Habs. Hate to sound like a broken record, but Mete is not a top 4 dman right now.
Not at the moment,but he does compliment Weber at the moment. The guy needs to definitely pot more points as it is. Like the way he skates,but just can't bury that disk.
He compliments Weber because of his speed, not because of many other elements of his game. He is an offensive liability and the opposing team focuses more on the other dman because he isnt a threat.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Idk about that. Look around the league at other teams top 4. Mete is better than a lot of them. Quick list:
Jacob Larsson
Jake McCabe
Haydn Fleury
Calvin DeHaan
Brent Seabrook
Nikita Zadorov
Roman Polak
Danny Dekeyser
Mike Green
Filip Hronek
Jonathan Ericsson
Adam Larsson
Micheal Matheson
Derek Forbort
Alec Martinez
Andy Green
Damon Severson
Thomas Hickey
Ryan Pullock
Anthony DeAngelo
Ron Hainsey
Dylan Demelo
Justin Braun
Brenden Dillon
Cody Ceci
Troy Stetxher
Tyler Myers
Jimmy Schuler
Brayden McNabb
Dmitry Kulikov

I left out a lot of the young guys too most of which Mete is better than like Niku.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Well that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. If you dont want to take my word for it, check out the thread: Recalled/Assigned: - Mete sent to the AHL

Mete had to beat out Kulak, Schlemko, Reilly, and Alzner. 3 of those guys cleared waivers and Reilly didn't play much. Weber also made guys like Emelin, Beaulieu and Kulak look much better than they were when he played with them. Price played like a God since like December. These are all pretty important factors when it comes to evaluating Mete's role on the Habs. Hate to sound like a broken record, but Mete is not a top 4 dman right now.

He compliments Weber because of his speed, not because of many other elements of his game. He is an offensive liability and the opposing team focuses more on the other dman because he isnt a threat.
See my list. That also doesn't take anything away from what he did. You're so quick to credit Price but what about Mete and Weber having one of the best high danger scoring chances for and against in the league. Also, Habs finished 11th in save percentage with 908 which is ok but it's not like Price had an incredible season. Especially not at the start

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
See my list. That also doesn't take anything away from what he did. You're so quick to credit Price but what about Mete and Weber having one of the best high danger scoring chances for and against in the league.
I strongly disagree with your list and I think it's an improper way of looking at it.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Idk about that. Look around the league at other teams top 4. Mete is better than a lot of them. Quick list:
Jacob Larsson
Jake McCabe
Haydn Fleury
Calvin DeHaan
Brent Seabrook
Nikita Zadorov
Roman Polak
Danny Dekeyser
Mike Green
Filip Hronek
Jonathan Ericsson
Adam Larsson
Micheal Matheson
Derek Forbort
Alec Martinez
Andy Green
Damon Severson
Thomas Hickey
Ryan Pullock
Anthony DeAngelo
Ron Hainsey
Dylan Demelo
Justin Braun
Brenden Dillon
Cody Ceci
Troy Stetxher
Tyler Myers
Jimmy Schuler
Brayden McNabb
Dmitry Kulikov

I left out a lot of the young guys too most of which Mete is better than like Niku.

All these are playing top 4 minutes? So habs are better off than one critics,good! would be nice though that Mete can pinch in a wee bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad