News Article: VGK purchase AHL team from San Antonio, UPD BOG approved

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Serious question...."Lifeguard Arena" I always envisioned as a CNA type facility. There's talk in press about that being the locale of the AHL team games. One article says construction hasn't begun yet. But construction on Lifeguard has already been underway. Rumors, none I could find in press, have been that they would build yet another Arena near Henderson International.....

You need a 6000-7000 seat arena along the lines of what Orleans offers. Is there space for such an arena and parking at the Downtown hendertucky site?

No the Henderson Ice Center downtown will be smaller than CNA.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
No the Henderson Ice Center downtown will be smaller than CNA.

that's what I thought. So the options are to contract with an existing arena long term or to build a new arena. Existing possibilities are Orleans, T&M and the new MSG Sphere. I don't see T&M being a long term solution, I think Orleans has already proven themselves a fickle partner, and let's hope it isn't Sphere (traffic nightmare and probably would want a ridiculous price for use of the arena). So, new arena near Henderson Executive sounds good to me :laugh:

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
that's what I thought. So the options are to contract with an existing arena long term or to build a new arena. Existing possibilities are Orleans, T&M and the new MSG Sphere. I don't see T&M being a long term solution, I think Orleans has already proven themselves a fickle partner, and let's hope it isn't Sphere (traffic nightmare and probably would want a ridiculous price for use of the arena). So, new arena near Henderson Executive sounds good to me :laugh:

Can the MSG Sphere fit a sheet of ice? Can it hold 8,000 with a sheet of ice?

The MGM Grand Garden Arena right across the street from T-Mobile Arena is big enough. Doubt it would be there though.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Can the MSG Sphere fit a sheet of ice? Can it hold 8,000 with a sheet of ice?

The MGM Grand Garden Arena right across the street from T-Mobile Arena is big enough. Doubt it would be there though.

Probably not but would be an intriguing location. Grand Garden hardly getting used these days and I still think central location is important to build the fan base. If you live in Summerlin or NLV are you really driving all the way to Henderson Executive 40 times a year to watch minor league hockey year after year?

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Probably not but would be an intriguing location. Grand Garden hardly getting used these days and I still think central location is important to build the fan base. If you live in Summerlin or NLV are you really driving all the way to Henderson Executive 40 times a year to watch minor league hockey year after year?

People who don't live in Summerlin do so for the Aviators. Navigating the Strip and parking for a VGK game is more difficult, IMO.

This may be Henderson, but the rumored site will be off St Rose really close to the 15. Access will be very easy. Seems pretty typical to throw Minor League out in the 'burbs and they are mostly successful there.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
People who don't live in Summerlin do so for the Aviators. Navigating the Strip and parking for a VGK game is more difficult, IMO.
This- Build it near St. Rose/Bermuda, put some bars/restaurants nearby. 215 lets out at Pecos, I-15 at St. Rose, plenty of ingress. Summerliners can make the trek. Or not. This is Henderson's team.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

This may be Henderson, but the rumored site will be off St Rose really close to the 15. Access will be very easy. Seems pretty typical to throw Minor League out in the 'burbs and they are mostly successful there.

Also, anyone who doesn't see MSG's location as a nightmare hasn't been around Twain and Koval on a Saturday evening.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Definitely not. MSG Sphere is a theater.

This response has prompted me to actually look at what they are doing with the building. While the sphere would definitely be large enough to host a rink, it's interior design IS that of an auditorium and construction photos show a tier arc in the middle of the sphere that would disable using it for anything of the sort.

So, you're right. It's built as a theatre and couldn't host an arena sport.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

At the Henderson Pavilion site. Terrible location for traffic.

Yeah this is going to be a nightmare on gamedays. I live a couple blocks away and while it will be cool to walk to games it's too much of a residential area IMO. People are going to have to park at GVR because there really isn't room at the site unless they demolish the Multi-Gen.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah this is going to be a nightmare on gamedays. I live a couple blocks away and while it will be cool to walk to games it's too much of a residential area IMO. People are going to have to park at GVR because there really isn't room at the site unless they demolish the Multi-Gen.
I dunno, only 6K seats, I think they could build a couple garages, including on what is the parking lot next to the library, and be set. That 2 lane road was designed to be easily expandable to 3. a few fans, like me, will want to take Horizon Ridge home, but the vast majority will be heading straight to the freeway. Assuming evening game times, most of the District will be dead quiet when games let out, so it would be a matter of overriding signals and keeping the salmon run moving to the freeway onramps. For a weekend early game, all bets are off.

I'll probably just tailgate someone through your neighborhood's gate and park in front of your house :laugh:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Thought it would be a bigger stadium. 6K seats is manageable and shouldn't cause a nightmare, it will be busier but nothing too uncontrollable.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Probably won't go to many games with the arena in Green Valley. To hard to get to from where I live. I think I've been to GVR twice and Henderson Pavilion twice in 13 years here in Las Vegas. 6000 also seems a little small when you already have 5300 season ticket deposits. I understand not building a 10000 seat arena but I would have thought 8000 would have been a better number.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Is the new arena replacing the Pavilion or being built adjacent?

Article doesn't say. If it is replacing, that would really suck.

With the police station, library and multigen facility, I don't see any room for an arena without replacing something.

I guarantee it is replacing the Pavilion. The City has been trying to figure what to do with the site since the roof blew off (again) last year. There was talk that they were going to make it an enclosed amphitheater, but obviously this is the new plan. Any other facility on the site would remove much needed parking.

The Pavilion has been a great site, but has always been a drain on the City. They've rarely had events that sold the place out.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad