News Article: VGK purchase AHL team from San Antonio, UPD BOG approved

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Golden Knights looking to buy AHL club and move it to Las Vegas

AHL President/CEO Dave Andrews officially announced Foley's desire to purchase an AHL franchise and relocate it to LV.

Now, to see which independently owned franchise owner is willing to sell.

If they could do this and UNLV could get Division I then there would be soooooo much hockey in town!

EDIT: So our affiliate would probably be called the Vegas Guardians or something and stick with the same theme? Some similar logo and jerseys that are a reimagining and still keep the look of VGK?

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Do any of the western AHL teams fly? I was always curious about this. Must be a nightmare to play for the Moose.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Where would they play, T Mobile?

Original rumor indicated they'd play at the Orleans.

Do any of the western AHL teams fly? I was always curious about this. Must be a nightmare to play for the Moose.

Many do.

Cuda drive to Stockton, Bakersfield and Ontario. But fly to San Diego (unless it's combined with other team on road trip).

Chicago response

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Where would they play, T Mobile?

I think they're planning the Orleans, it's pretty close to T-Mobile a few streets down and a block over but I think there's MGM Grand Garden Arena across the street from T-Mobile, Thomas and Mack Center two streets down from that. There's a clump of places that could house an AHL team in that small area in the middle of the valley.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Is Palm Springs confirmed as the location for Seattle’s AHL affiliate?

Akso, what would happen to the Chicago wolves of Vegas gets a team in Vegas? Or is it trying to purchase a team to relocate?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They probably have a pretty good idea if they released the news before the AHL All Star game.

Is Palm Springs confirmed as the location for Seattle’s AHL affiliate?

Akso, what would happen to the Chicago wolves of Vegas gets a team in Vegas? Or is it trying to purchase a team to relocate?

Currently the Wolves players are over 90% VGK contracts, and HC Rocky Thompson would probably continue his role in developing VGK young players and come to the new team to stay in the fold.

So the Wolves would have to find another NHL affiliation quick. The best thing to do would be swapping affiliates with an AHL team that's ready to sell.

When Norfolk was bought by the Ducks, they moved to San Diego and the Bakersfield ECHL team then went to Norfolk to replace the Admirals. Then Bakersfield got an AHL team from Oklahoma to make a new Pacific AHL division.

And Colorado brought an ECHL team to the AHL last season as an expansion team (most famous for the Kelly Cup debacle).

Back to the AHL players being on the Vegas payroll, this would ease the burden of having to tie up so many of the 50 contract slots. I wonder if Chicago not spending much on their team had anything to do with the sudden mid-season decision, or whether it was just the demand for more hockey + sending Roy & co back and forth constantly.

Pirri must be bummed. I wonder if he'll get traded to the Hawks.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
They probably have a pretty good idea if they released the news before the AHL All Star game.

Currently the Wolves players are over 90% VGK contracts, and HC Rocky Thompson would probably continue his role in developing VGK young players and come to the new team to stay in the fold.

So the Wolves would have to find another NHL affiliation quick. The best thing to do would be swapping affiliates with an AHL team that's ready to sell.

When Norfolk was bought by the Ducks, they moved to San Diego and the Bakersfield ECHL team then went to Norfolk to replace the Admirals. Then Bakersfield got an AHL team from Oklahoma to make a new Pacific AHL division.

And Colorado brought an ECHL team to the AHL last season as an expansion team (most famous for the Kelly Cup debacle).

Back to the AHL players being on the Vegas payroll, this would ease the burden of having to tie up so many of the 50 contract slots. I wonder if Chicago not spending much on their team had anything to do with the sudden mid-season decision, or whether it was just the demand for more hockey + sending Roy & co back and forth constantly.

thank you!

On Pirri, I find it fascinating that he’s not in the nhl on some team.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I also think they wouldn't let this get public unless things were far down the road in this regard.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

So they could make the middle part of the helmet a rectangular bar and the sides a straight line to turn the V into an H on the logo and have the gold parts silver. Then the jersey would probably be almost identical but with the gold parts silver and some minor changes.

EDIT: I don't think I like the idea of calling them Henderson, name it Vegas to keep the city and team unified under one name, one community.

Is there going to be a Reno Bronze Knights ECHL team?

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Orleans would be whining about non gambling locals in a year just like they did with the Wranglers. Surprised they want to go to Henderson, not like they need a team to market over there. Maybe another one of Foleys idea about number of names to a team and all. I do get it would be a problem if they were the Vegas Silver Knights, too much confusion with people just saying Vegas or Knights, but surely they can resolve it.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Of course they fly unless it's a short bus ride away. It's not like low level minor league baseball, the AHL pays rather well, just not the millions the NHL does. ECHL is the league that needs the bus rides, those guys make nothing.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Orleans would be whining about non gambling locals in a year just like they did with the Wranglers. Surprised they want to go to Henderson, not like they need a team to market over there. Maybe another one of Foleys idea about number of names to a team and all. I do get it would be a problem if they were the Vegas Silver Knights, too much confusion with people just saying Vegas or Knights, but surely they can resolve it.

I think they could resolve it also. Owning their own arena in Henderson also means no rental fees and they would be able to make money on it themselves. Would the team practice at Lifeguard Arena?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I miss the ease of watching hockey at the Orleans. Friendlier ticket prices and accessibility is a win win in my book. Would even entertain driving to Hendo for some games. Hopefully it’s not the Silver Knights though.
If they're staying on theme, they've almost got to name them the Hendo Silver Knights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad