News Article: VGK purchase AHL team from San Antonio, UPD BOG approved

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
I, too, will be able to walk to games, but, yeah GV Pkwy is already a mess there. That's growth, though. We're used to it. Just don't tear down the Multi-gen.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I, too, will be able to walk to games, but, yeah GV Pkwy is already a mess there. That's growth, though. We're used to it. Just don't tear down the Multi-gen.

I don't think they'll tear down the rec center. Out of the pavilion, the rec center and the library, the rec center is the only building that is heavily used by the community.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
When the hype dies down let's see what they draw. I agree the site is quite difficult, used to go around there and just getting to dinner at the District was a pain, a game is going to be insane. Still funny to me the Wranglers were a great deal and very good part of the local scene and were unceremoniously dumped and few in the community cared. Not so sure there arent some parallels to worry about here. Just have to hope VGK has made it such a hockey town it can be sustained. I do think 6k seats is about right. The higher capacity Orleans can handle the initial interest and it will only be a year or two of high interest in a new arena and then it dies down.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Rocky Thompson addresses affiliation change before Wolves lose to Grand Rapids

HC Rocky Thompson is employed by NHL Vegas, and his contract is up at the end of the season. Not currently worried about next season, working on completing this season.

(Guessing the Wolves' equipment trainer, who celebrated his 2000th game with the organization, is not employed by VGK. Don't know if he'll make the move.)

So, McPhee will be putting together an AHL staff as well. The NHL AGM often is the guy in charge of the AHL team (as GM). Wendell Young is the GM of Chicago (doesn't appear to be VGK employee).

Lots of spots to define and fill.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Rocky Thompson addresses affiliation change before Wolves lose to Grand Rapids

HC Rocky Thompson is employed by NHL Vegas, and his contract is up at the end of the season. Not currently worried about next season, working on completing this season.

(Guessing the Wolves' equipment trainer, who celebrated his 2000th game with the organization, is not employed by VGK. Don't know if he'll make the move.)

So, McPhee will be putting together an AHL staff as well. The NHL AGM often is the guy in charge of the AHL team (as GM). Wendell Young is the GM of Chicago (doesn't appear to be VGK employee).

Lots of spots to define and fill.

Good points in the article. I think as long as McPhee is around the pipeline is McCrimmon's focus and responsibility. They might hire a young AGM to groom for bigger things in the future. Rocky Thompson will be on an NHL bench next year is my guess, either as a HC or a highly valued assistant in line for an NHL HC job. My guess is McCrimmon will go find someone coaching in the junior ranks to be the Silver Knights HC much like he was.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
thank you. After the Rampage move to Vegas I’m assuming St. Louis will use the Wolves as their affiliate ?
nobody really knows the real answer....by league law, it has to be.... or Chicago loses the franchise which that fanbase has known since entering the league 20 + years ago.... will the League enforce that law....it's a matter of opinion

Reactions: SI90

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
When the building is done and the AHL team start to play?
could be a while past 2022-23.....Henderson sounds like they weren't informed enough before Vegas went and did this seems to be the direction that story is taking now....the team plays at Orleans next season, but that could be a longer commitment term than potentially proposed

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
There are a lot of complaints, but mostly how the decision was unilaterally made. Once they lay out the details, I think most Hendersonians will support it. Enough to get it built, anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->