Confirmed Trade: [VGK/NJD] Gusev to NJ for a 3rd round ('20) and 2nd round ('21)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Kane and Ovi play some semblance of defense or physicality when it comes to Ovi. They don't just ignore defense altogether. Gusev WILL have to learn to play defense when he doesn't have the puck instead of just waiting for linemates to do it then feed him the puck.

Defense is often about effort. And so far, Gusev just has not shown near enough effort without the puck. And taht is what people have issues with.

Why Their Defense Doesn't Matter for Patrick Kane and Alex Ovechkin

f60zlfg.gif

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Kovy didn't play a lick of defense when he came to the Devils, by the time he left he was playing the PK. Obviously we don't have the same staff and Gusev isn't Kovy, but it is possible for guys to buy into playing defense, so I'm giving it some time.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Still somehow has 3 times more goals, than Hall and Hughes combined for 1/10th of their ice time...

And if he played for a team, that really knew, how to utilize his talent, he would have been a PPG+ player right now...
He has a 33% CF%. He is getting shelled in.

There is a reason Gusev is getting limited minutes and that is because he is a liability right now.

The 3 goals is nice and all but the sample size is extremely small. While yes this is true for the CF% as well, corsi is more indicative of quality of play in this case.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

There is a reason Gusev is getting limited minutes and that is because he is a liability right now.

The 3 goals is nice and all but the sample size is extremely small. While yes this is true for the CF% as well, corsi is more indicative of quality of play in this case.

Well, his goals are pretty much indicative as well. He can create them out of nothing. It was like this in all leagues/tournaments he played before, and it's like this in the NHL. There are very few players, who are able to do it.

Reactions: My3Sons

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Gusev also has a 20% shooting percentage right now. His goals are nice, but he's not playing well and has overproduced.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Gusev also has a 20% shooting percentage right now. His goals are nice, but he's not playing well and has overproduced.

Gusev had 3 KHL season with around 15% shooting percentage. Last season was different, but then he had 17% in playoffs. He just shoots really well.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Gusev had 3 KHL season with around 15% shooting percentage. Last season was different, but then he had 17% in playoffs. He just shoots really well.
This is what everyone says for NHL players who overproduce with high shooting percentages. Good goal scorers are high volume shooters and players who score a lot over a short time period with a high shooting percentage never keep it up long term.

Reactions: smitty10

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Gusev will have a 20 game adjustment in the defensive zone, his top end speed isn't that bad actually just his cuts, turns and agility aren't all that good yet. This comes from playing on big ice. I expect a much bigger second season once he adjusts his offseason training.

Reactions: thethinglonger

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
This is what everyone says for NHL players who overproduce with high shooting percentages. Good goal scorers are high volume shooters and players who score a lot over a short time period with a high shooting percentage never keep it up long term.
Actually pass first players who have good shots are often high % shooters, they pass the low to medium danger scoring chances and shoot the high percentage areas. Hemsky was known for this.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Actually pass first players who have good shots are often high % shooters, they pass the low to medium danger scoring chances and shoot the high percentage areas. Hemsky was known for this.
Hemsky shot 10.5% over his career, his career high in goals was 23, and he averaged 17 goals per 82 games. Gusev is on pace for 35 goals right now, he's overproduced in goals.

Reactions: smitty10

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wow. I know I wasn't as high on him as I was on Radulov, but it's pretty crazy to think that the highly touted best player in KHL is actually a bust at the NHL level.

Honestly, this along with some other disappointing performances by KHL players makes me wonder whether KHL really is a rather poor league for NHL development. Radulov works but that's because he puts in 500% more effort than your average KHL player and has a unique attitude.

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
Wow. I know I wasn't as high on him as I was on Radulov, but it's pretty crazy to think that the highly touted best player in KHL is actually a bust at the NHL level.

Honestly, this along with some other disappointing performances by KHL players makes me wonder whether KHL really is a rather poor league for NHL development. Radulov works but that's because he puts in 500% more effort than your average KHL player and has a unique attitude.

Way too early to call him a bust at the NHL level. He very talented but has no idea how to play defense. I think he just needs a bit more time to adjust to the NHL game. He really needs to work on his all around game to stick in the top 6 b.c he would be useless as a bottom sixer.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Is he to slow or just lost in the defencive zone? To bad that he’s not working out so far I didn’t think he’d be a start, but though he could cut it as a 2nd liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad