Confirmed Trade: [VGK/NJD] Gusev to NJ for a 3rd round ('20) and 2nd round ('21)

BavelPure

Aug 24, 2005
The Devils have added a lot of talent this offseason with PK, Hughes & Gusev now...even if I think Gusev's game loses more coming to the NHL than did Radulov or Panarin's and so expect him to cap out around 50-60 points, rather than the PPG that the other two are capable of.

The left side of that blueline still causes concern and the depth is still a work-in-progress...but they've certainly made Hall a great pitch on staying, without losing their flexibility to pivot if things don't come together for them this season & Hall won't re-sign. But I think they've done a lot to give that team a good shot at postseason hockey & themselves a good shot of convincing Hall to stick around, so they very well may not even need to pivot.

...the further we get from Brodeur having played for them, the easier it becomes to say nice things about them as an Avs fan :laugh:
At the very least Shero has showed that he is a competent GM who can manage assets and deal from a position of strength. I'm sure Hall doesn't want to get "Parise'd", and stuck on a team that can't contend after a few years with an untradeable contract.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I absolutely believe in Win/Win trades....Trading a player with gun to your head because of the salary Cap doesn't have the makings of a win though...That can only be a salvageable situation.

Allegedly there was only one other suitor for Gusev. Had NJ been the only interested party, VGK may only have recouped a third round pick and a meh prospect. You make a good point, but realistically, VGK didn't want the player for whatever reason, and they got two picks for him, one a second round pick. I'd say given their objectives they got what they wanted. I expect NJ will as well. If Gusev is a LW2 for the next two years, NJ will be happy.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I absolutely believe in Win/Win trades....Trading a player with gun to your head because of the salary Cap doesn't have the makings of a win though...That can only be a salvageable situation.
And if Gusev doesn’t come out nearly as good as many here believe, or apparently Vegas believes, then how is this not a win/win?

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
I was really hoping Bergevin would take a flyer, a proven professional and top 6 winger to replace Shaw
Plenty of cap room too get this done.
Radulov 2.0 The Russian that got away?
The only reason I can think off MTL not making that trade is he hopes a rookie can grab that top 6 spot?
Maybe McPhee didn't want to get fleeced twice by Bergevin?

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Vegas chose Ryan Reaves, Nick Holden, and this package over Nikita Gusev.

Two picks and two good locker room guys over someone with zero NHL experience.

Good call LVK. I like Gusev as a prospect, but to come into the league with demands and no 1 year tryout contract...I'll pass.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Best case he's Panarin 2.0, worst case he's Dadonov 2.0. For a 2nd+3rd, no brainer.

I'm a Devils fan, I hope for the best, but I still consider worst case to be below Dadonov. No matter how dominant players are overseas there's always a risk that the NA game just doesn't suit them. Then you get your Filatov (or if you want to compare a player who came over older, more mature, shortly after a more-than-point-a-game season in the KHL, Cervenka).

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Allegedly there was only one other suitor for Gusev. Had NJ been the only interested party, VGK may only have recouped a third round pick and a meh prospect. You make a good point, but realistically, VGK didn't want the player for whatever reason, and they got two picks for him, one a second round pick. I'd say given their objectives they got what they wanted. I expect NJ will as well. If Gusev is a LW2 for the next two years, NJ will be happy.

I'm definitely confused why so many on these boards are ranting that VGK "gave away" a 27 year old prospect who demanded 2 year at $9 million with zero NHL experience.

If anything VGK got the better of the deal, but it works for both teams as NJD are still in a rebuild

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm definitely confused why so many on these boards are ranting that VGK "gave away" a 27 year old prospect who demanded 2 year at $9 million with zero NHL experience.

If anything VGK got the better of the deal, but it works for both teams as NJD are still in a rebuild

he didn't "demand" anything

so basically you're saying he should have just taken a 1 year deal for league minimum? You do know that he would have been UFA after that right? Why would Vegas wanna do that?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I don't think you can assess which party got more out of it. Maybe in two years if Gusev is a total flop. That said, if VGK doesn't get a legit NHLer with one of the picks, it could be a mutual flop.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Combined a second and third round pick nets you an NHL player about 35% on the time. From purely a draft perspective, it's low risk. If it hurts anywhere, it's as a trade chip. The key about what Shero has done, though, is that no one is signed to an untradable contract. That means if things go south, the picks can be recouped. I would hope they don't, but it's a decent mitigation strategy.

Reactions: My3Sons

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
he didn't "demand" anything

so basically you're saying he should have just taken a 1 year deal for league minimum? You do know that he would have been UFA after that right? Why would Vegas wanna do that?

Why would any team want to give any 27 year old $4.5 million?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Hall - Hischier - Bratt/Simmonds
Gusev - Hughes - Palmieri/Simmonds
Boqvist - Zajac - Simmonds
Wood - Zacha - Coleman

Physicality is needed desperately

Wood and Simmonds provide it, Coleman and Palmieri each have a bit of snarl as well albeit untimely occasionally. The backend however is limited with physical play aside from Subban who occasionally throws his body around. Would like them to get a legit LD who is more of a stay at home guy. Would've loved for Muzzin to be here somehow.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Two picks and two good locker room guys over someone with zero NHL experience.

Good call LVK. I like Gusev as a prospect, but to come into the league with demands and no 1 year tryout contract...I'll pass.
Probably because Nikita Gusev isnt a prospect

Reactions: Billdo

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
NJ is built well at forward & defense but at goalie they have question marks & seems like Vegas is gambling on their goalie situation not working out well and that 2nd rounder turning into a quality pick. Vegas knows that NJ will be competing with the Panthers, Hurricanes & Rangers for the final 2 playoff spots in the east.

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
NJ is built well at forward & defense but at goalie they have question marks & seems like Vegas is gambling on their goalie situation not working out well and that 2nd rounder turning into a quality pick. Vegas knows that NJ will be competing with the Panthers, Hurricanes & Rangers for the final 2 playoff spots in the east.
Or competing for the Metro if they get solid goaltending.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Best case he's Panarin 2.0, worst case he's Dadonov 2.0. For a 2nd+3rd, no brainer.

There’s a 0% chance he’s not at least a first line player? I almost feel bad for the guy if that’s his expectations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad