Confirmed Trade: [VGK/NJD] Gusev to NJ for a 3rd round ('20) and 2nd round ('21)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I’m not denying this or even hinted at that, so I’m not sure what your point is?

All I’m saying is using two examples as to why there’s a “good chance” Gusev ends up an impact player when there are many, many more examples of Russians coming over and failing is a strange argument.

And once again, I think Gusev will be good, just way too soon to already declare a winner or loser to this.

There’s very few examples of elite Russian talent that stayed in the NHL coming over given what the K was offering a few years ago.

Fact is most of Gusev’s comparables excelled greatly in the NHL aside from Ship who was yo-yo’d by the Knights.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
That was part of the point.

Hall has a pretty long injury history going now.

Nico is a third year C who hovers around 50 points

Gusev has had a great international career but is now 27 and never played ins a single NHL game.

The line has high potential, I just fairly stated it is too early to anoint it as some sort of elite unit.

If all three can play to their capabilities and Hischier, who’s a very good young player, finds chemistry with Gusev, they can be a sizzling line

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Well, let's see.

3 of the last 4 cup winners. So you can't count out the Penguins or Capitals from being serious contenders even if they have flaws.

Flyers have a young D core still coming to their own, and added other supporting pieces around a stable offensive attack. They're a likely playoff team.

NYR added a star forward and top pairing defenseman. They may not be a playoff lock, but they are very much improved and should continue building.

CAR kept most of the core around that made a surprise run to an ECF. It was already a young team, so improvement from within is probable, and they have a boatload of cap space and a stocked prospect cupboard that could be used to improve even further from within, or trade for outside help immediately.

NJD added Subban, Gusev, and Jack Hughes. While the lineup leaves some to be desired, they are a better team than they were last year, and will be a tough team to play every night. If they can get surprising goaltending, they could make a run similar to two years ago.

NYI and CBJ are the only ones you can argue got worse. Granted, NYI kept most of their own and it worked under Trotz system with a very good defense, and the Jackets have a good supply of 1st/2nd line players to fill their entire forward group while also having a great defense. Both teams have questions in net, with Varlamov being inconsistent/injury prone and the CBJ group being unproven. Either way, neither team is a pushover.

There isn't one weak team, on paper, in the division. Could the CBJ, NYI, or whoever crash and burn due to goaltending? Sure, but I think the Metro is top to bottom the best division in hockey.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Well, let's see.

3 of the last 4 cup winners. So you can't count out the Penguins or Capitals from being serious contenders even if they have flaws.

Flyers have a young D core still coming to their own, and added other supporting pieces around a stable offensive attack. They're a likely playoff team.

NYR added a star forward and top pairing defenseman. They may not be a playoff lock, but they are very much improved and should continue building.

CAR kept most of the core around that made a surprise run to an ECF. It was already a young team, so improvement from within is probable, and they have a boatload of cap space and a stocked prospect cupboard that could be used to improve even further from within, or trade for outside help immediately.

NJD added Subban, Gusev, and Jack Hughes. While the lineup leaves some to be desired, they are a better team than they were last year, and will be a tough team to play every night. If they can get surprising goaltending, they could make a run similar to two years ago.

NYI and CBJ are the only ones you can argue got worse. Granted, NYI kept most of their own and it worked under Trotz system with a very good defense, and the Jackets have a good supply of 1st/2nd line players to fill their entire forward group while also having a great defense. Both teams have questions in net, with Varlamov being inconsistent/injury prone and the CBJ group being unproven. Either way, neither team is a pushover.

There isn't one weak team, on paper, in the division. Could the CBJ, NYI, or whoever crash and burn due to goaltending? Sure, but I think the Metro is top to bottom the best division in hockey.
Right.

Hate to tell you but all of that prose was for naught.

I mean you could apply for a job at the Athletic, but the trades probably pay better and are certainly more likely to accept you.

I'm tired of saying it. There are 3 teams in the metro. And Sid's done while Ovi and Carlson better blast their way forward similar to how the sexy Blues did.

Otherwise, welcome back to the New F'n Jersey dynasty.

The F are you going to do Tampa, Toronto, Boston, NY, and the sad southern team with that offer sheet guy?

Nothing.

Welcome home hockey fans. Because it's NJ, CO, Nashville, and St Louis. As it fcking should be.

Reactions: Platypus420

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
VGK has now 9 picks in first 3 rounds of the 2020 and 2021 drafts. Not bad tbh. I think this was the safest route for Vegas.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I knew that this was going to happen. There were zero chance that Gusev was ever gonna plat for the Knights.
cap problems or no cap problems, that was never gonna happen.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
28 year old Dadanov (who is more of a comparable to Gusev) came over and put up 65 and 70 pt seasons and Gusev's KHL numbers were better pretty much every year.

In what world is Dadonov a comparable to Gusev. No element of their game are similar.

Reactions: kp61c

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Top players in Metro
4155349777231053.gif

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Right.

Hate to tell you but all of that prose was for naught.

I mean you could apply for a job at the Athletic, but the trades probably pay better and are certainly more likely to accept you.

I'm tired of saying it. There are 3 teams in the metro. And Sid's done while Ovi and Carlson better blast their way forward similar to how the sexy Blues did.

Otherwise, welcome back to the New F'n Jersey dynasty.

The F are you going to do Tampa, Toronto, Boston, NY, and the sad southern team with that offer sheet guy?

Nothing.

Welcome home hockey fans. Because it's NJ, CO, Nashville, and St Louis. As it fcking should be.

Alright calm down. I'm a fellow devils fan, but you need to pump the brakes brotha.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
There’s very few examples of elite Russian talent that stayed in the NHL coming over given what the K was offering a few years ago.

Fact is most of Gusev’s comparables excelled greatly in the NHL aside from Ship who was yo-yo’d by the Knights.

Literally the only really comparable we’re Ship and Dadonov. One worked great, one flopped. Panarin was still very young (and only had one good KHL season) and we already knew Radulov was elite since he had 60+pts before leaving for the KHL originally.

But that list I posted before had some very good KHL players listed on it, yet none of them could make it as even average top 6 players.

So again, history has shown us that history really isn’t on Gusev’s side, no matter how good he is.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
In what world is Dadonov a comparable to Gusev. No element of their game are similar.
They played on the same dam' team on the same dam' line for quite some time and Gusev was always the better player.

In the 2 full seasons they played together in St.Petersburg:

Dadonov 53gp 30g 36a 66pts (0,57 gpg 1,25 ppg) vs. Gusev 57gp 24g 47a 71pts in 2016-17 (0,42 gpg 1,25 ppg)
Dadonov 74gp 28g 37a 65pts (0,38 gpg 0,88 ppg) vs. Gusev 54gp 22g 40a 62pts in 2017-18 (0,41 gpg 1,15 ppg)

Gusev 62gp 17g 62a 82pts in 2018-19 (0,27 gpg 1,32 ppg). Gusev also sports better playoff stats.

They might play a different game, but playing together they produced those numbers in the same league. You have to respect that.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If you want to include younger players like Panarin, then I guess we will include all of:

Shipachyov
Plotnikov
Tikhonov
Thoresen
Belov
Ozighanov
Larsen
Medvedev
Sekac
Lander
Kovar
Petrov
Nicushkin
Kontiola

And that was just from a quick 5min google of names I recognized. Hell even Radulovs first attempt back to the NHL went very poorly.

Again, I think Gusev is an NHL player, maybe even a very good one, but it’s hilarious seeing posters claim that Vegas got ripped off before even seeing Gusev in an NHL game when the odds are really against him.
Your list is absurd. Start with excluding defencemen. Because it's silly comparing apples and oranges or I'll give you a two time Vezina goalie who was not a star in the KHL.

Then please keep the bottom sixers in the KHL who happenned to play with stars because of the coaches' strategies like Plotnikov, Tikhonov, Kovar, Kontiola. Thoresen. Then cut Shipachyov who never really played in the NHL to prove anything. Exclude Nichushkin, who was rushed in the NHL before he could ever develop properly like all those russian successful NHLers. What is Sekac doing on your list?

You have no list. The odds are really against you.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Subban / Trouba. All it's going to take is for Lemieux to look at Hughes the wrong way on October 17th and these games are going to utter ****shows for the next 5+ years; ****ery abound.
Lemieux? Lemieux is an unsigned RFA and NYR are 4.5 million over the cap with 14 forwards under contract.
If Shattenkirk is bought out, who is priority for NYR? Lemieux or Deangelo?
Lemieux? May Shero gives Gorton a 4th rounder in 2022 for his rights.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Thats not great. If that was in one year...

Unless you mean nine each

Should you really be throwing stones when we've talked about how many picks we've had or used in trades over the last few years? Granted, not every GM will turn those picks into what Shero has, but it's still not bad to have extra picks to work with.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Your list is absurd. Start with excluding defencemen. Because it's silly comparing apples and oranges or I'll give you a two time Vezina goalie who was not a star in the KHL.

Then please keep the bottom sixers in the KHL who happenned to play with stars because of the coaches' strategies like Plotnikov, Tikhonov, Kovar, Kontiola. Thoresen. Then cut Shipachyov who never really played in the NHL to prove anything. Exclude Nichushkin, who was rushed in the NHL before he could ever develop properly like all those russian successful NHLers. What is Sekac doing on your list?

You have no list. The odds are really against you.

So basically you just wrote a ton of excuses as to why they didn’t succeed? Okay.

What will be the excuse if Gusev doesn’t I wonder...?

We get it Atas, you REALLY love Russians :laugh:

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Great move and great value if he turns out to be as good as he looks.

Damn.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Jealous AF of the devils on this one. Salary AAV is a little high but this kid could be high reward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad