Very quietly Ceci is actually playing very good for us.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Not a fan of ceci when he played for ottawa, still not a fan now.

Seems like almost all of dubas' trades have been poor value for us.

I think that trade was all about getting out from under Zaitsevs deal, and enduring a year of Ceci. That being said, I agree with you that Dubas probably thought he’d get more competent okay from him.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Ceci is by far our worst D man. Holl is soooooo much better. Honestly in Keefes puck possesion D rushing system Liljegren would probably be a lot better.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Not a fan of ceci when he played for ottawa, still not a fan now.

Seems like almost all of dubas' trades have been poor value for us.
Ya we definitely lost that trade... zaitsev isn’t even in the nhl anymore.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It was obvious before the season started that he wasnt/isnt a top 4 dman meanwhile, on the top pair trying to shut down the leagues best. Ottawa did this for years with him and it was a disaster. He needs to be on the 3rd pair. End of story.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
playing Ceci in bottom two with Dermott against weaker opposition with far fewer minutes makes Ceci almost seem competent. When you add in his $4 mil a year salary, it is migraine inducing.
I will be shocked if he finishes the year in a Leaf uniform.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
giphy.gif

Reactions: MarnerPeachFuzz

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Keefe has seen that Holl can do the job quite well on the second pairing. Putting Ceci on the third pairing will be beneficial as now he will defend against lesser competition while fine tuning his game.
Play him up for a few weeks on the third pair and then trade him and slide Liljegren into the lineup.

Allow us to actually ice a full roster down the stretch and maybe even add somebody at the deadline.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
It's amazing that dman so apparently useless can also give up by far the fewest 5v5 goals against and giveaways on the team while being on one of the top 5 PKs pairings in the league.

Is all the hate because hes 2 5v5 points behind the far less criticized Barrie?

I'm less high on him than earlier in the year as his 5v5 underlying numbers are not close to where they were the first month but hes been a pretty valuable piece this year overall.

He certainly hasnt been worth the amount of criticism hes been getting.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
He's not been great. A real demonstration of team effects. In the past handful of games, he has been significantly less noticeable, though, whereas for most of the season he's made glaring errors nearly every single time he's touched the puck. He makes the wrong play under pressure almost every time, and he doesn't make up for it with possession or transition plays, like, say, Gardiner.

Oh, and the reason he's been less glaringly mistake-laden is because Keefe has significantly dialed back his level of competition.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
playing Ceci in bottom two with Dermott against weaker opposition with far fewer minutes makes Ceci almost seem competent. When you add in his $4 mil a year salary, it is migraine inducing.
I will be shocked if he finishes the year in a Leaf uniform.

$4.5 but who is counting :)

Reactions: Macallan18

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It's amazing that dman so apparently useless can also give up by far the fewest 5v5 goals against and giveaways on the team while being on one of the top 5 PKs pairings in the league.

Is all the hate because he's 2 5v5 points behind the far less criticized Barrie?

I'm less high on him than earlier in the year as his 5v5 underlying numbers are not close to where they were the first month but he's been a pretty valuable piece this year overall.

He certainly hasn't been worth the amount of criticism he's been getting.

We love our scapegoats here, especially scapegoat defenders. Not saying CC is a stud, or anything like that. But, not sure why we think its going to be easy to find a replacement defender that's significantly better for $4.5 m and can handle significant minutes/assignments.

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019

I'm less high on him than earlier in the year as his 5v5 underlying numbers are not close to where they were the first month but hes been a pretty valuable piece this year overall.

For how much he makes, you can keep him and all the good he offers(which is almost nothing). As for Barrie..Him and Rielly are still not that great but way less messy than Rielly and Ceci which just shows how bad that guy is..But anyways..

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Nah dog. He's been the worst d-man on the team.

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.07.21 AM.png

And, no, Barrie has not been a world beater, but he's been much better than Ceci.

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.08.59 AM.png

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Ceci has been playing well since Keefe took over. He's doing his job and has been a key piece to our PK.

People really need to layoff. Considering the alternative which would have been Zaitsev, Ceci has been an upgrade to Zaitsev.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto

Just getting the gardiner treatment hes been pretty good beside a few big blunders.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I for one would not be upset with seeing Lily get a look for a week and see what it looks like. We know what Ceci can do and having a d man that makes the wrong play under pressure at all times is not a recipe for success when at playoff time every play matters

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I for one would not be upset with seeing Lily get a look for a week and see what it looks like. We know what Ceci can do and having a d man that makes the wrong play under pressure at all times is not a recipe for success when at playoff time every play matters

If Lily can come up and earn a spot, I definitely would be shopping Ceci. But he still needs to earn a spot because Ceci has been effective for us.

Trading or placing Ceci on waivers does more then possibly improve the team if better then Ceci but it also gains us 4 million in cap space to acquire a true backup and another winger for a playoff push.

Could it be that Lily has been brought up to see if we can actually get rid of Ceci?

Time will tell.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Ceci has been playing well since Keefe took over. He's doing his job and has been a key piece to our PK.

People really need to layoff. Considering the alternative which would have been Zaitsev, Ceci has been an upgrade to Zaitsev.
Once a player has been labeled useless, he remains useless. Too bad.

Reactions: Matthews34

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
If Lily can come up and earn a spot, I definitely would be shopping Ceci. But he still needs to earn a spot because Ceci has been effective for us.

Trading or placing Ceci on waivers does more then possibly improve the team if better then Ceci but it also gains us 4 million in cap space to acquire a true backup and another winger for a playoff push.

Could it be that Lily has been brought up to see if we can actually get rid of Ceci?

Time will tell.
God I hope so

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Ceci is awful, he will be lucky to be a third pairing guy making more than a million next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad