Very quietly Ceci is actually playing very good for us.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I haven't seen a couple of game lately, but he certainly seems to be getting a lot of flack.

From the games I've seen, I've liked Ceci and what he brings to this team. He's been much better than Tyson Barrie, whom doesn't seem to get much criticism here.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He's still Ceci. He's been on 3rd pairing for a few games and that is where he needs to stay.

The guy was miscast in Ottawa, forced to play top 2 minutes with Morgan and I would imagine his confidence is probably about as low as it can get.

Leave him on 3rd pairing, hope someone see something in him and will take him and his cap hit far away from this team.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
He's still Ceci. He's been on 3rd pairing for a few games and that is where he needs to stay.

The guy was miscast in Ottawa, forced to play top 2 minutes with Morgan and I would imagine his confidence is probably about as low as it can get.

Leave him on 3rd pairing, hope someone see something in him and will take him and his cap hit far away from this team.
The most sanity spewed on this form in years lol
Seriously you nailed it

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Plays much better with sheltered minutes. I'll take the odd defensive lapse from Barrie/Rielly with the massive offensive upside over Rielly/Ceci any day of the week.

Reactions: qqaz and Bluelines

landeskog11

Jan 14, 2012
+2 in vancouver and +1 in colorado games, not too bad i'd say or is Dermott carrying the CECI!

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
upload_2019-12-12_10-27-11.jpeg

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It's actually been the exact opposite. He started off fine and has been awful lately

Same, except he has been a bit better in the lower role under Keefe, which was to be expected. Keep him in the 18-20 minute range and continue feeding him the PK minutes. We don't need him on the top pairing for him to be effective, if Keefe is going to go run-and-gun with Rielly/Barrie and just suffer the consequences (or force Rielly to restrict his own free-wheeling a little bit).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Ceci actually played even worse on the top pair under Keefe than he did in Babcock's system, but since Keefe switched him with Barrie, Ceci has in fact been OK in a cushy soft 3rd pair role:

Ceci at Even Strength:

1st Pair Babs: 23gms, 18:19, +1.0zone%, 51.5cf%, 49.0xgf%
1st Pair Keefe: 6gms, 19:08, -2.4zone%, 46.6cf%, 43.5xgf%
3rd Pair Keefe: 3gms, 14:42, +7.8zone%, 51.4cf%, 52.8xgf%

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I agree. Ceci looks good in the 3rd pairing role, I see nothing wrong with that. People are just looking to complain lol. Barrie, Holl, Ceci is a good RHD group.

Anyways, he'll likely be gone next season or even earlier depending on if Lilijegren does well enough to get called up.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Amazing what trying harder will do.

Best of luck next year on your new team.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
see this is an extreme view, he has not been flat out terrible. He for sure hasn't been $4.5M worth but i doubt he'd ever live up to that, he has been nowhere near as bad as some leafs fans suggest though

It's hard to look good when the only time people notice you is when you mess up. Doesn't mean he's not good when people are not noticing him.

I think his run under Babcock was worth 4.5 mill. His Keefe tenure so far has not, but if he can provide 2nd pairing quality, which I think is within his capabilities, then that's pretty much what 4.5 mill gets you these days. Just stop playing him 22+ minutes a night...

Either way, he would get us a quality return if we decide to trade him, or he has value on our right side if we decide to keep him. Win-win.

member 300185

OP, you have got to be joking. Ceci turns over pucks constantly. Ceci makes suicide passes all the time. Ceci makes most of his passes into the skates of team mates. Ceci is greedy and selfish as shown on the play where he tried to score on an empty net trying to shoot through 3 players when JT was on 2 goals looking for the hatty and wide open on the blue line at the boards.

Screw Ceci, do not re-sign this douche.

member 300185

see this is an extreme view, he has not been flat out terrible. He for sure hasn't been $4.5M worth but i doubt he'd ever live up to that, he has been nowhere near as bad as some leafs fans suggest though
Sorry, I think he is flat out terrible.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Flat out terrible...vastly subpar...either way, he hasn't been good. He looked decent in pre-season which gave me hope, and the first handful of games to start the season I would say the same. But all in all, I don't think he's been good and I believe there are many better options in lieu of his spot -- both within the organization and out. And that's even not taking into account his salary.

To me, he is a glorified Luke Schenn. Big body, sluggish skating, poor puckhandling skills, etc. Maybe if he was on the 3rd pairing playing less minutes I could tolerate him. But I did not like him one bit as a player while as a Sen. And I absolutely hated when we traded for him. Maybe I have such an irrational dislike for him that it is clouding my judgement, but even then I wouldn't think anything of him.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I haven't seen a couple of game lately, but he certainly seems to be getting a lot of flack.

From the games I've seen, I've liked Ceci and what he brings to this team. He's been much better than Tyson Barrie, whom doesn't seem to get much criticism here.
Barrie has been great since the coaching change. Agree before the change he was bad. But since keefe has come he has played great in both ends. The points should start coming sooner and in the defensive zone him and rielly are playing pretty well. Barrie failing to crack 45 points could be a huge gain for us. Get him back on a 5-5.75 million dollar deal for 5-6 years.

I'm much more confident that Barrie will be a number 2/3 50+ point defender moving forward and paying him as such(5.5ish mill) than keeping Ceci log term and giving him a deal that gives him 5+million. Ceci can play on the bottom pairing but he was bad on the top pairing.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He's had some games this year where he's been a solid contributor, but he's largely been bad. I'd go so far as to say he's been considerably better than his reputation from Ottawa suggested he would be, he's far from the worst player in the league, but he's not a guy that we want in our top4. He's fine on the third pairing, but I think we'll be pretty happy to see him leave for good in the summer.

Reactions: qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad